Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
John covici

Default strange ethernet behavior with Superjmicro mb and Gentoo

Hi. I have just gotten a computer with a Super Micro c2sbe
Motherboard. Now I also bought a dual port PCI Express ethernet
card. Now the normal kernel driver in my 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 does not
recognize the ethernet port on the motherboard, only the dual port
PCI Express card. So I found an Intel driver which seemed to be a
later version of the e1000 driver and installed it.

Now the strange part is that in order for the Ethernet on the mb to be
recognized, I must rmmod and modprobe the module again and blacklist
it from udev, although the later seemed not to do much. Does
anyone know why I must do such a thing? If I don't do the rmmod and
modprobe the dual port card is still recognized, but the mb one is not..

Thanks in advance for your help.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Dan Farrell

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:57:07 -0500
John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have just gotten a computer with a Super Micro c2sbe
> Motherboard. Now I also bought a dual port PCI Express ethernet
> card. Now the normal kernel driver in my 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 does not
> recognize the ethernet port on the motherboard, only the dual port
> PCI Express card. So I found an Intel driver which seemed to be a
> later version of the e1000 driver and installed it.
>
> Now the strange part is that in order for the Ethernet on the mb to be
> recognized, I must rmmod and modprobe the module again and blacklist
> it from udev, although the later seemed not to do much. Does
> anyone know why I must do such a thing? If I don't do the rmmod and
> modprobe the dual port card is still recognized, but the mb one is
> not..
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

You might consider asking the source of the driver.