Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Sergey Kobzar

Default Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi

'emerge -pv --depclean' shows that these packages may be unmerged:

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

app-crypt/hashalot
selected: 0.3-r2
protected: none
omitted: none

sys-libs/pwdb
selected: 0.62
protected: none
omitted: none

sys-apps/attr
selected: 2.4.32
protected: none
omitted: none

Is it safe to remove they from the system? This is mail server and has
mostly no additional packages except exim, mysql, spamassassin and
some other.

Thanks for any help.

--
Sergey

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> Hi
>
> 'emerge -pv --depclean' shows that these packages may be unmerged:
<snip detail>
> app-crypt/hashalot
> sys-libs/pwdb
> sys-apps/attr
>
> Is it safe to remove they from the system? This is mail server and
> has mostly no additional packages except exim, mysql, spamassassin
> and some other.

This means that you never explicitly merged them, they are not in world
and are no longer required by anything else. There are normally three
reasons:

- you merged something that needed these packages, then unmerged them
later, leaving these dependencies orphaned
- you merged something else that used them, and in a recent update they
are now using something else that provides the same functionality
- they were required by some USE flag you once had, and you have now
changed your USE, so the deps are no longer required.

You'll need to look at each package and figure out if YOU need them, as
we can't tell you that. I might think that you don't need your wife
under any circumstances, and you might strongly disagree :-)

I once knew what hashalot does. I forgot. It's something to do with
cryptography
pwdb is used as a password and user account configuration thingy. Looks
pretty important :-)
attr provides extended attributes to ext2/3 and XFS file systems, used
by selinux and posix capabilities. If you use these features, you
already are aware of it.

When you figure out which ones to keep, it's best to put them in your
world file. Either edit /var/lib/portage/world and stick the name at
the end, or run 'emerge -n <package-name>'

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> > attr provides extended attributes to ext2/3 and XFS file systems,
> > used by selinux and posix capabilities. If you use these features,
> > you already are aware of it.
>
> So, if I use reiserfs w/o ext attrs (option in kernel), I don't need
> it probably. Correct?

You certainly don't need it, as attr doesn't support reiser. I'm looking
at my own reiser-based machine and wondering why on earth I ever merged
it myself

Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> Thanks, Alan!
>
> Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 7:00:51 PM, you wrote:
> >>
> >> So, if I use reiserfs w/o ext attrs (option in kernel), I don't need
> >> it probably. Correct?
> >
> > You certainly don't need it, as attr doesn't support reiser. I'm looking
> > at my own reiser-based machine and wondering why on earth I ever merged
> > it myself

# equery depends attr
[ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
sys-apps/acl-2.2.45 (>=sys-apps/attr-2.4)
sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (acl? sys-apps/attr)

YMMV.
Mick

Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:25:23PM +0200, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
> USE="-X -acl -gpm -ipv6 -tcpd"
>
> # equery depends attr
> [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)
>
> # equery depends pwdb
> [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
> sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)
>
> # equery depends hashalot
> [ Searching for packages depending on hashalot... ]
> #
>
> Looks like I can remove hashalot safely only.
>
> attr and pwdb must be added to world class.
> correct?

Not so fast. Check to see if you do have the xattr flag enabled.
The entry for attr is a conditional dependency: you don't need it if
you don't have the xattr flag. (Equery is, at present, not smart
enough to decipher dependency from USE.)

Also, I'd thought that emerge --depclean has matured enough so that
you don't get weird stuff like depclean telling you pwdb is save to
remove, while equery tells you there's a hard dependency.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
"Henry Gebhardt"

> # equery depends pwdb
> [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]

> sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)
Where does equery get that from? emerge -e pam doesn't show pwdb as a dependency. In fact, the ebuild checks whether you are using the pam_pwdb module, and if you do, warns you about it. I for my part just removed pwdb, and I can still log in as if nothing happend. (Also after a reboot.)

Also, I'd thought that emerge --depclean has matured enough so that
you don't get weird stuff like depclean telling you pwdb is save to

remove, while equery tells you there's a hard dependency.
I think emerge --depclean is safe after emerge -DuN world, if you run revdep-rebuild afterwards.

~Henry

Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:53:29PM +0200, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> > Not so fast. Check to see if you do have the xattr flag enabled.
>
> In the kernel config probably?

No, I mean the USE variable.

> > The entry for attr is a conditional dependency: you don't need it if
> > you don't have the xattr flag. (Equery is, at present, not smart
> > enough to decipher dependency from USE.)
>
> # emerge --info | grep -i attr
> #

Right, so that means you don't have the xattr flag enabled. Which
means you don't actually have a dependency on attr.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:03:42PM +0100, Henry Gebhardt wrote:
> Where does equery get that from? emerge -e pam doesn't show pwdb as a
> dependency. In fact, the ebuild checks whether you are using the pam_pwdb
> module, and if you do, warns you about it. I for my part just removed pwdb,
> and I can still log in as if nothing happend. (Also after a reboot.)

[04:18 PM]wwong pam $ emerge --pretend --emptytree pam | grep pwdb
[ebuild R ] sys-libs/pwdb-0.62

Also,

[04:20 PM]wwong pam $ grep -C 3 pwdb pam-0.99.9.0.ebuild
RDEPEND="nls? ( virtual/libintl )
cracklib? ( >=sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.3 )
audit? ( sys-process/audit )
sys-libs/pwdb
selinux? ( >=sys-libs/libselinux-1.28 )"

So, yes, pwdb is a runtime dependency. I don't actually run pam, so can't
confirm what would happen if I remove pwdb.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, you wrote:
> > Hi Mick,
> >
> > Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 9:14:31 PM, you wrote:
> > > # equery depends attr
> > > [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> > > sys-apps/acl-2.2.45 (>=sys-apps/attr-2.4)
> > > sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (acl? sys-apps/attr)
> > >
> > > YMMV.
> >
> > Hm... on my server:
> >
> > # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
> > USE="-X -acl -gpm -ipv6 -tcpd"
> >
> > # equery depends attr
> > [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> > sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)
> >
> > # equery depends pwdb
> > [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
> > sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)
> >
> > # equery depends hashalot
> > [ Searching for packages depending on hashalot... ]
> > #
> >
> > Looks like I can remove hashalot safely only.
> >
> > attr and pwdb must be added to world class.
> > correct?

Try running: # regenworld

It should catch any packages that should have been included in the world file,
but for some reason hadn't. Don't forget that --declean is not infallible.
Mick

Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> > Thanks, Alan!
> >
> > Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 7:00:51 PM, you wrote:

> > > You certainly don't need it, as attr doesn't support reiser. I'm
> > > looking at my own reiser-based machine and wondering why on earth
> > > I ever merged it myself
>
> # equery depends attr
> [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> sys-apps/acl-2.2.45 (>=sys-apps/attr-2.4)
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (acl? sys-apps/attr)

True, but mine is in world.

I probably ran my eye down a list of packages one day and ran
'emerge -av <list of possibly useful stuff>' without putting a whole lot
of thought into it