Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Thufir

Default Install a 64bit system from a 32bit minimal CD

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:06:10 +0200, Yoav Luft wrote:

> Hi all,
> Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and running,
> but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the previously burnt 2006
> minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64 system? Or can you think of any
> other way to install without a burning a new CD?

I'm not sure of the wisdom of using an out of date cd, nor x86 versus
x86_64, but can share that the "networkless" install from cd worked like
a champ for me.

-Thufir

Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Aaron Clark

Yoav Luft wrote:

Hi all,
Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and
running, but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the previously
burnt 2006 minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64 system?
Or can you think of any other way to install without a burning a new CD?

It depends. You can install a regular i686 (32bit) system on the Athlon
64 chips just fine. if you want to do that, you should be ok with your
old minimal CD assuming your hardware is supported by it. If you want
to install an x86_64 aka amd64 sytem (64bit) from your 32bit install
environment, then you're SOL as the chroot will fail.

Aaron

Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Dan Farrell

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:45:20 +0000 (UTC)
Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:06:10 +0200, Yoav Luft wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and
> > running, but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the
> > previously burnt 2006 minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64
> > system? Or can you think of any other way to install without a
> > burning a new CD?
>
> I'm not sure of the wisdom of using an out of date cd, nor x86 versus
> x86_64, but can share that the "networkless" install from cd worked
> like a champ for me.
>

> -Thufir

and you were able to chroot from 32-bit cd's system to 64-bit
environment? I seem to recall having problems with that...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 PM
David Relson

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:53:42 -0500
Aaron Clark wrote:

> Yoav Luft wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and
> > running, but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the
> > previously burnt 2006 minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64 system?
> > Or can you think of any other way to install without a burning a
> > new CD?
>
> It depends. You can install a regular i686 (32bit) system on the
> Athlon 64 chips just fine. if you want to do that, you should be ok
> with your old minimal CD assuming your hardware is supported by it.
> If you want to install an x86_64 aka amd64 sytem (64bit) from your
> 32bit install environment, then you're SOL as the chroot will fail.
>
> Aaron

I too upgraded my hardware from an Athlon to an Athlon X2 and asked
about using my 32 bit gentoo system as the base from which to install
64 bit gentoo. When queried, the unanimous response from the list
is "can't be done -- have to use a CD".

It seems like it ought to be doable. I anticipated something like
download a 64-bit iso,
mount it,
uncompress/unsqueeze/whatever
copy files to the hard drive
configure grub/lilo
reboot
emerge ...

However conventional wisdom is this won't work. So, yesterday, I
booted from the AMD64 LiveCD, saw the LiveCD choke on my video setup
and incorrectly mounted partitions, then (on the 4th or 5th try) start
giving "NMI watchdog ... LOCKUP" messages. Someone suggested trying
the AMD64 Minimal Install CD and, through using it, I can now boot to
either a 32 bit or a 64 bit kernel (with different partitions for the
32 and 64 bit environments). There's more emerging to do to get X
fully built and all my desired applications running, but progress is
being made.

If you'd like (and you're in the US), I'll be glad to send you one of my
AMD64 LiveCDs (as I have 2 and neither is happy with my mobo).

Regards,

David

Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
"Yoav Luft"

Well, seems like the other PC's cd writer got mildly broken so it can only read cds, not burn any. So after some thought, I salvaged my old PC's cd writer and installed it (in quite an ugly way, as ide cables were to short) in the windows box, burnt the LiveCD and installed Linux on my new machine. I just booted it up for the first time, and it looks... ok. I think I forgot to include vesa or other standart video support in the kernel.