Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
"Mark David Dumlao"

Default layman -L does not show ecatmur, but I can layman -a ecatmur.

I'm currently dual-booting a machine that I'd like to shift completely to gentoo, but I left an ubuntu installaiton in the other disk (where I hope to transfer my gentoo).* However, my brother has been downloading some torrents for weeks on end, and their sessions have been left alive in the gnome-btdownload interface.* It gets annoying when he boots up to ubuntu sometimes because I often remotely login to my machine and all.

So I thought to install gnome-btdownload.* Unfortunately I couldnt find it in portage a few weeks ago, and I just forgot about it.* Today I logged in remotely to my machine, remembered my old problem, and decided to hunt for an ebuild.* I noticed that it's in the ecatmur tree, so I thought just to add it on layman and get it done with.

TOTALLY WEIRD.* I do a layman -L on my machine and strangely enough, ecatmur isn't listed.* I think I've used it beore on layman though, so I look up the overlays listing on the gentoo overlays list, here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt

Sure enough, ecatmur is present.* So I just blindly go layman -a ecatmur and he gets added.

I don't understand why layman wouldn't report ecatmur in his listing but accepts ecatmur there anyway when I add?* Is this a bug?
trixie / # layman --version
1.1.1
trixie / # emerge --version

Portage 2.1.3.19 (default-linux/amd64/2007.0/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0, 2.6.22-ck1 x86_64)

weird?

I remember somewhere that there was something you had to edit to make the overlays appear in the listing, (the stock layman would only show a few entries I think).* Maybe this is an extension of that idea but I couldn't find what to edit in the documentation.* Any ideas?

--
thing.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:37:16PM +0800, Penguin Lover Mark David Dumlao squawked:
> TOTALLY WEIRD. I do a layman -L on my machine and strangely enough, ecatmur
> isn't listed. I think I've used it beore on layman though, so I look up the
> overlays listing on the gentoo overlays list, here:
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
>
> Sure enough, ecatmur is present. So I just blindly go layman -a ecatmur and
> he gets added.

Did you run layman --fetch to update the overlays?

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement
in the Lewis and Clark expedition:
It was the first documented trip in history where men asked a woman for
directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive at their destination.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 431 days, 13:22

Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM
"Mark David Dumlao"

On Feb 12, 2008 10:52 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:37:16PM +0800, Penguin Lover Mark David Dumlao squawked:
> TOTALLY WEIRD. *I do a layman -L on my machine and strangely enough, ecatmur
> isn't listed. *I think I've used it beore on layman though, so I look up the

> overlays listing on the gentoo overlays list, here:
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
>
> Sure enough, ecatmur is present. *So I just blindly go layman -a ecatmur and

> he gets added.

Did you run layman --fetch to update the overlays?
yep, and I'm still getting nothing doing with layman -L.
--
thing.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 AM

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:38:12 +0800, "Mark David Dumlao"
<stuffinator@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 10:52 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:37:16PM +0800, Penguin Lover Mark David
> Dumlao
>> squawked:
>> > TOTALLY WEIRD. I do a layman -L on my machine and strangely enough,
>> ecatmur
>> > isn't listed. I think I've used it beore on layman though, so I look
> up
>> the
>> > overlays listing on the gentoo overlays list, here:
>> > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
>> >
>> > Sure enough, ecatmur is present. So I just blindly go layman -a
> ecatmur
>> and
>> > he gets added.
>>
>> Did you run layman --fetch to update the overlays?
>>
> yep, and I'm still getting nothing doing with layman -L.
> --
> thing.

For me it helped to change following line in layman.cfg:

# Strict checking of overlay definitions
#
# Set either to "yes" or "no". If "no" layman will issue
# warnings if an overlay definition is missing either
# description or contact information.
#
nocheck : no

to yes.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Joshua D Doll

Portage 2.1.3.19 <http://2.1.3.19>
(default-linux/amd64/2007.0/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0,
2.6.22-ck1 x86_64)

weird?

I remember somewhere that there was something you had to edit to make
the overlays appear in the listing, (the stock layman would only show
a few entries I think). Maybe this is an extension of that idea but I
couldn't find what to edit in the documentation. Any ideas?

--
thing.
Try layman -Lk

-k, --nocheck Do not check overlay definitions and do not issue a
warning if description or contact information are
missing.

--Joshua Doll