Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Wael Nasreddine

Default Which arch do I have ?

Hello,

It's been like 6 months I'm using the arch i686, but today I saw on this
page[1] something that confused me, saying that I have an x86_64 arch I have a
Toshiba A135-S4427 with Intel dual core 1.73Ghz here's the output of
/proc/cpuinfo

---- CUT
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 3460.63
clflush size : 64

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 3457.55
clflush size : 64
---- CUT

So which arch do I really have??

[1]: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/sn-which-arch.html

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
"Benjamen R. Meyer"

As you have an Intel Core Duo, you should have the EMT64E version -
Intel's version of the AMD64 instruction set - thus x86-64 compatible.

Best place to check is Intel's website - here's what I found:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9dv
http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/core/duodocumentation.htm

With EMT64E, you will be able to compile for 64-bit mode using the
x86-64 builds. (You can only use Intel64 if you have the Itanium procs
if memory serves.)

However, unless you specifically install the x86-64/AMD64/64-bit
version, you will have a 32-bit x86 environment and kernel. You can
upgrade if you like...see other threads for that info.

HTH,

Ben

Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 AM
"Boris Fersing"

On Feb 11, 2008 10:17 PM, Wael Nasreddine <mla@nasreddine.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's been like 6 months I'm using the arch i686, but today I saw on this
> page[1] something that confused me, saying that I have an x86_64 arch I have a
> Toshiba A135-S4427 with Intel dual core 1.73Ghz here's the output of
> /proc/cpuinfo
>
> ---- CUT
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 14
> model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
> stepping : 8
> cpu MHz : 800.000
> cache size : 2048 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 2
> core id : 0
> cpu cores : 2
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 10
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
> bogomips : 3460.63
> clflush size : 64
>
> processor : 1
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 14
> model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
> stepping : 8
> cpu MHz : 800.000
> cache size : 2048 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 2
> core id : 1
> cpu cores : 2
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 10
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
> bogomips : 3457.55
> clflush size : 64
> ---- CUT
>
> So which arch do I really have??

Hi,

AFAIK the T2250 is a Yonah, which is only 32bits.

Boris.

> [1]: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/sn-which-arch.html
>
> --
> Wael Nasreddine
> http://wael.nasreddine.com
> PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2
>
> .: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
> would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.

--
$ ruby -e'puts " .:@BFegiklnorst".unpack("x4ax7aaX6ax5aX15ax4aax6aa X7ax2
aX5aX8axaX3ax8aX4ax6aX3aX6ax3ax3aX9ax4ax2aX9axaX6a x3aX2ax4

Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Wael Nasreddine

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:31:30PM -0500, "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As you have an Intel Core Duo, you should have the EMT64E version -
> Intel's version of the AMD64 instruction set - thus x86-64 compatible.

> Best place to check is Intel's website - here's what I found:

> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9dv
> http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/core/duodocumentation.htm

> With EMT64E, you will be able to compile for 64-bit mode using the
> x86-64 builds. (You can only use Intel64 if you have the Itanium procs
> if memory serves.)

> However, unless you specifically install the x86-64/AMD64/64-bit
> version, you will have a 32-bit x86 environment and kernel. You can
> upgrade if you like...see other threads for that info.

> HTH,

> Ben

Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge

Thank you

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
> migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
> owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge

Please stop using the x86_64 nomenclature with respect to gentoo. Gentoo
does not define this arch and has no such name - all 64 bit extended
arches compatible with x86 are called amd64 on gentoo.

The x86_64 name is used by Red Hat and other distros. There are all the
same thing really, but using the wrong name in the wrong context clouds
the issues and leads to vast side-threads asking question that have no
answers and that accomplish nothing.

You will not notice a speed increase with a 64 bit processor. You might
be able to measure one but it won't really feel any different in real
life. What you will notice are:

1. The annoyance of having to put up with 32 bit apps with no 64 bit
equivalent
2. Apps can now see more than 3.1GB of memory per app, and can see it
linearly. If you run a massive database this will be important to you.
If you don't, you won't. Do you have more than 4G of RAM?

So, the only good reason to move to amd64 is when you buy a 64 bit
machine

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
"Benjamen R. Meyer"

Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:31:30PM -0500, "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> As you have an Intel Core Duo, you should have the EMT64E version -
>> Intel's version of the AMD64 instruction set - thus x86-64 compatible.
>
>> Best place to check is Intel's website - here's what I found:
>
>> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9dv
>> http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/core/duodocumentation.htm
>
>> With EMT64E, you will be able to compile for 64-bit mode using the
>> x86-64 builds. (You can only use Intel64 if you have the Itanium procs
>> if memory serves.)
>
>> However, unless you specifically install the x86-64/AMD64/64-bit
>> version, you will have a 32-bit x86 environment and kernel. You can
>> upgrade if you like...see other threads for that info.
>
>> HTH,
>
>> Ben
>
> Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
> migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
> owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge

The primary advantage is larger memory space, and more native use of the
entire processor. I'm running it b/c I want to be - not b/c I need the
memory space, I'm not pushing 4GB for Physical RAM which is primarily
what it is about.

From my understanding, you won't gain much if any in speed. The
processor is still the same clock rate. 64-bit programs may (not sure,
someone verify?) be bigger as the opcodes are larger.

You can run any of the following configs:
1) pure 32-bit
2) pure 64-bit
3) mixed 32-64 bit (multi-lib)

#3 will be the largest install as you have a lot of duplications since
you are hosting both a 32-bit and 64-bit environment. However, with #2
you might not get a lot of programs since there are quite a few that
have not been fully ported to 64-bit modes. You're running #1 now.

So not much is gained for now.

Ben

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> said, On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:05:20PM +0200:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> > Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
> > migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
> > owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge

> Please stop using the x86_64 nomenclature with respect to gentoo. Gentoo
> does not define this arch and has no such name - all 64 bit extended
> arches compatible with x86 are called amd64 on gentoo.

> The x86_64 name is used by Red Hat and other distros. There are all the
> same thing really, but using the wrong name in the wrong context clouds
> the issues and leads to vast side-threads asking question that have no
> answers and that accomplish nothing.

I'm sorry but I'm just used to call it this way, most of distros I
have tried in the past call it this way, anyway I'll try to memorize
it.

> You will not notice a speed increase with a 64 bit processor. You might
> be able to measure one but it won't really feel any different in real
> life. What you will notice are:

> 1. The annoyance of having to put up with 32 bit apps with no 64 bit
> equivalent
> 2. Apps can now see more than 3.1GB of memory per app, and can see it
> linearly. If you run a massive database this will be important to you.
> If you don't, you won't. Do you have more than 4G of RAM?

> So, the only good reason to move to amd64 is when you buy a 64 bit
> machine

I have 1G RAM and it's a laptop doesn't serve huge databases so I
guess despite if my CPU is 64 or 32 bits, I'll just stick with the 32
version, works great...

Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> This One Time, at Band Camp, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
said, On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:05:20PM +0200:
> > On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > The x86_64 name is used by Red Hat and other distros. There are all
> > the same thing really, but using the wrong name in the wrong
> > context clouds the issues and leads to vast side-threads asking
> > question that have no answers and that accomplish nothing.
>
> I'm sorry but I'm just used to call it this way, most of distros I
> have tried in the past call it this way, anyway I'll try to memorize
> it.

Cool. Nothing worse than composing a decent post, only to then have to
explain that you weren't using THIS definition but rather THAT one.
It's an easy enough error to make (do it myself too) so no worries

> > So, the only good reason to move to amd64 is when you buy a 64 bit
> > machine
>
> I have 1G RAM and it's a laptop doesn't serve huge databases so I
> guess despite if my CPU is 64 or 32 bits, I'll just stick with the 32
> version, works great...

Agreed. You have no obvious benefits from a 64 bit arch. You also get to
not have to struggle with flash wondering if it will work this time or
not ;-)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
"Boris Fersing"

On Feb 12, 2008 8:06 AM, Benjamen R. Meyer <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:31:30PM -0500, "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> As you have an Intel Core Duo, you should have the EMT64E version -
> >> Intel's version of the AMD64 instruction set - thus x86-64 compatible.
> >
> >> Best place to check is Intel's website - here's what I found:
> >
> >> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9dv
> >> http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/core/duodocumentation.htm
> >
> >> With EMT64E, you will be able to compile for 64-bit mode using the
> >> x86-64 builds. (You can only use Intel64 if you have the Itanium procs
> >> if memory serves.)
> >
> >> However, unless you specifically install the x86-64/AMD64/64-bit
> >> version, you will have a 32-bit x86 environment and kernel. You can
> >> upgrade if you like...see other threads for that info.
> >
> >> HTH,
> >
> >> Ben
> >
> > Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
> > migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
> > owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge
> >

> The primary advantage is larger memory space, and more native use of the
> entire processor. I'm running it b/c I want to be - not b/c I need the
> memory space, I'm not pushing 4GB for Physical RAM which is primarily
> what it is about.
>
> From my understanding, you won't gain much if any in speed. The
> processor is still the same clock rate. 64-bit programs may (not sure,
> someone verify?) be bigger as the opcodes are larger.
>
> You can run any of the following configs:
> 1) pure 32-bit
> 2) pure 64-bit
> 3) mixed 32-64 bit (multi-lib)

HI again,

the T2250 is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo. It only supports 32 bits
instructions.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/manuals/253665.pdf page 55

regards,

Boris.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@gentoo.org> said, On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:06:13PM -0500:
> On Feb 12, 2008 8:06 AM, Benjamen R. Meyer <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > > Let's say this processor supports 64 bits, what whould I gain from
> > > migrating to x86_64 I mean would it be faster??? I've never
> > > owned/worked on a 64bit machine before so excuse my lack of knowledge
> > >

> > The primary advantage is larger memory space, and more native use of the
> > entire processor. I'm running it b/c I want to be - not b/c I need the
> > memory space, I'm not pushing 4GB for Physical RAM which is primarily
> > what it is about.

> > From my understanding, you won't gain much if any in speed. The
> > processor is still the same clock rate. 64-bit programs may (not sure,
> > someone verify?) be bigger as the opcodes are larger.

> > You can run any of the following configs:
> > 1) pure 32-bit
> > 2) pure 64-bit
> > 3) mixed 32-64 bit (multi-lib)

> HI again,

> the T2250 is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo. It only supports 32 bits
> instructions.

> http://download.intel.com/design/processor/manuals/253665.pdf page 55

> regards,

> Boris.

Well here you go, thanks for clearing this up.