Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Default About Mozilla cache and online video watching

I'm sorry to be bringing so much stuff up on this forum that is
actually off topic. No one has complained but if anyone knows where
this question should be sent... please let me know.

I'm trying to work out the sequence of events when playing videos from
the internet. There are many freebies out there to practice on and
some even worth keeping. Lots of tutorial type stuff.

In the current case when I click a link to play a specific video I'm
seeing a file downloaded into firefox cache that appears to persist for
apparently whatever time user has set for cache stuff to linger.
They pile up in there as more links are clicked.

When I click a link a video appears in the browser window being played
by mplayer and is in qt format. A file name consisting of numbers and
uppercase letters appears in the cache. That file can be renamed with
a *.mov (quicktime) extension and will play in mplayer or quicktime
there after.

However something strange happens when the file size is slightly above
25mb. In that case the name that appeared in the cache when
downloading started, suddenly and instantly disappears when the
download finishes. The embedded browser player can still play it as
much as desired but the on disk file has totally disappeared or been
moved somewhere else. The cache shows zero files, yet the embedded
player seems unaffected.

It appears to occur consistently just slightly above 25mb as reported
by reiserfs and closely confirmed by information on the website that
tells the file size.

The online material itself does not appear to be protected or whatever since
they are offered for free right on the internet for anyone. No login
or the like required.

I'm pretty sure the file is not being held in memory at that size and
in fact one would expect the smaller ones to also be if that were the
case.

I would like to understand what is happening but don't really have a
good idea how to track it down. Or even where to take such a question
or search for information that might help.

In the future I'd like to offer some of my own videos to my far flung
family across the internet and would like to have a pretty good grasp
on how it all works on both ends. Since I will be expected to debug
or otherwise make sure things work smoothly.