Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Todd Goodman

Default Need dovecot configuration help

* Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> [110526 14:40]:
> A couple of days ago I applied via etc-update a new init script and conf
> file for dovecot. Now I cannot get local LAN mail from it. I was
> previously able to. My current dovecot version info is:
>
> carter ~ # emerge -pv dovecot

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] net-mail/dovecot-2.0.11 USE="berkdb bzip2 doc ipv6 ldap
> maildir mysql pam ssl zlib -caps -cydir -kerberos -managesieve -mbox
> -mdbox -postgres -sdbox -sieve -sqlite -suid -vpopmail" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
> * Use eselect news to read news items.
>
> The /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file is as such:
[..]
> #listen = *, ::

What's the exact problem you're having? No response? Error response
from dovecot?

Do you see dovecot listening?

Do a 'netstat -a -t | egrep imap' and see if there's any output.

If it's not listening on *:imap (say on 127.0.0.1:imap for example)
then you probably want the 'listen = *' in your config file.

Is dovecot complaining in the logs?

When you emerge a new dovecot you need to restart it
(/etc/init.d/dovecot restart) or else you'll get errors with the
client/server communication as well.

Todd

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Michael Sullivan

On 05/26/11 14:26, Jarry wrote:
> On 26. 5. 2011 21:04, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>> A couple of days ago I applied via etc-update a new init script and conf
>> file for dovecot. Now I cannot get local LAN mail from it. I was
>> previously able to.
>
> I do not know which dovecot version you had before,
> but 2.0.11 is the first 2.x in portage, so I suppose
> it was 1.x
>
> I remember updating from 1.x to 2.x was not so easy.
> etc-update did not help me, configurtion changed a lot.
> I had to edit a few new files in /etc/dovecot/conf.d,
> some concerning authentication (10-auth.conf, auth-*)...
>
> Jarry

I can't even figure out what port dovecot is running on. I would assume
143 for IMAP, but telnetting to 192.168.2.2 dovecot does not greet me.
I can access the mail from the dovecot server from mutt in my terminal
window ssh'd over to that machine, but I need to be able to access it
from thunderbird, which can't even find the machine....