Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default gnome 3 ??

Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
gnome 3. Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.

This is gnome 3 vs gnome 2 (not kde).

thanks,
allan

PS my system is ~amd64.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
> gnome 3. *Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.
>
> This is gnome 3 vs gnome 2 (not kde).
>
> thanks,
> allan
>
> PS my system is ~amd64.

I actually like it a lot. However, a lot of things are not
customizable, and several other things behave completely different
from GNOME 2. I've been using it since the last month or so, and I
think I'm already used to the new UI. I believe it's a little faster
than GNOME 2, and it definitely get less in the way to actually do
work.

Just my opinion. Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
>> gnome 3. *Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.
>>
>> thanks,
>> allan
>>
>> PS my system is ~amd64.
>
> I actually like it a lot. However, a lot of things are not
> customizable, and several other things behave completely different
> from GNOME 2. I've been using it since the last month or so, and I
> think I'm already used to the new UI. I believe it's a little faster
> than GNOME 2, and it definitely get less in the way to actually do
> work.

Thank you. Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
gnome2 is difficult. Did you

1. Upgrade from 2.32.1
2. Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
3. Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
4. Do something else

thanks again,
allan

Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
>>> gnome 3. *Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> allan
>>>
>>> PS my system is ~amd64.
>>
>> I actually like it a lot. However, a lot of things are not
>> customizable, and several other things behave completely different
>> from GNOME 2. I've been using it since the last month or so, and I
>> think I'm already used to the new UI. I believe it's a little faster
>> than GNOME 2, and it definitely get less in the way to actually do
>> work.
>
> Thank you. *Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
> gnome2 is difficult. *Did you
>
> 1. *Upgrade from 2.32.1
> 2. *Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
> 3. *Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
> 4. *Do something else

All of the above?

I keyworded and unmasked the necessary packages to make
=gnome-base/gnome-3.0.0 emergable; then I upgraded like usual. There
were some problems, but usually solvable by emerge -C the offending
package (and older version, generally). I removed (after backup)
~/.gconf, ~/.gnome2* ~/.metacity ~/.nautilus and ~/.evolution (I
*think* this was not really necessary, by I wanted to see a "pristine"
GNOME 3). At the end, I emerge --depclean, and then after a couple of
emerge -uDNvp world everything went to normal. I haven't had any
problem since then.

Oh, at some point I emerge @preserved-rebuild and then again emerge --depclean.

It took a couple of days of try/error, and be warned that you should
do this fom a VT, not from X (unless you do it under twm or something
like that).

Regards.