Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   office softs (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/530638-office-softs.html)

Stéphane Guedon 05-25-2011 07:31 PM

office softs
 
Hello

Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?

What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ? ...
--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf
clé publique gpg : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.asc

Paul Hartman 05-25-2011 08:07 PM

office softs
 
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?
>
> What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ? ...

They are both very mature and stable and should be able to do almost
anything you need, as long as that need is not 100% MS-compatibility.
;)

Alan McKinnon 05-25-2011 08:20 PM

office softs
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 22:07 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Paul Hartman
did opine thusly:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>
wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?
> >
> > What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ? ...
>
> They are both very mature and stable and should be able to do almost
> anything you need, as long as that need is not 100% MS-compatibility.
> ;)

LibreOffice comes with a huge benefit - I do not have to see the Oracle logo
on the splash screen. That alone was enough to make me switch.

Other than that, I reckon they are mostly on par with each other for the
average user. According to some recent blogs I scanned over, LibreOffice ships
with more templates or makes the process easier. I can see how many people
would like that a lot.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Stéphane Guedon 05-25-2011 08:28 PM

office softs
 
On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:07:15 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>
wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?
> >
> > What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ? ...
>
> They are both very mature and stable and should be able to do almost
> anything you need, as long as that need is not 100% MS-compatibility.
> ;)

I need a small MS-compatibility, as anyone I think.

I wonder if calligra is mature enough to be used (cause openoffice not fully
integrated with my desktop environnement).

Openoffice/Libreoffice... => which to choose ?

Openoffice is heavy whereas I think calligra light, thus, easier to update, but
is calligra solid enough ?
--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf
clé publique gpg : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.asc

Stéphane Guedon 05-25-2011 08:39 PM

office softs
 
On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:20:00 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 22:07 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Paul
> Hartman
>
> did opine thusly:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>
>
> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?
> > >
> > > What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ?
> > > ...
> >
> > They are both very mature and stable and should be able to do almost
> > anything you need, as long as that need is not 100% MS-compatibility.
> > ;)
>
> LibreOffice comes with a huge benefit - I do not have to see the Oracle
> logo on the splash screen. That alone was enough to make me switch.
>
> Other than that, I reckon they are mostly on par with each other for the
> average user. According to some recent blogs I scanned over, LibreOffice
> ships with more templates or makes the process easier. I can see how many
> people would like that a lot.

I don't have oracle logo... (useless mail just to make fun) :-)

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf
clé publique gpg : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.asc

Paul Hartman 05-25-2011 08:55 PM

office softs
 
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu> wrote:
> Openoffice is heavy whereas I think calligra light, thus, easier to update, but
> is calligra solid enough ?

KOffice is more than 10 years old, I think it is solid by now. :)
(Calligra = new name for KOffice, basically)

Alan McKinnon 05-25-2011 09:04 PM

office softs
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 22:28 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Stéphane
Guedon did opine thusly:

> On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:07:15 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>
>
> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Some of you tried both LibreOffice / OpenOffice / Calligra recently ?
> > >
> > > What do you think of them ? Which is stable / not yet fully finish ?
> > > ...
> >
> > They are both very mature and stable and should be able to do almost
> > anything you need, as long as that need is not 100% MS-compatibility.
> > ;)
>
> I need a small MS-compatibility, as anyone I think.
>
> I wonder if calligra is mature enough to be used (cause openoffice not
> fully integrated with my desktop environnement).
>
> Openoffice/Libreoffice... => which to choose ?
>
> Openoffice is heavy whereas I think calligra light, thus, easier to update,
> but is calligra solid enough ?

Calligra is pretty OK. As a comparison, I'd say it's comparable quality-wise
to ~amd64 meaning it should work just fine and as a Gentoo user you ought to
be able to deal with issues where it isn't.

But you are asking the wrong question - you want "MS-compatibility" but don't
say what that means. Keep in mind that Office is not even compatible with
itself between versions.

What exactly are your needs?

100% complete compatibility of all Office features requires Office.

If you don't need 100% but do need something pretty damn close, OOo is you're
first choice. If you just want to be able to read the text of .docs and .docxs
and to hell with the formatting, then KWord or Words should be fine.

It's a very complex question with no easy answer, and only you can tell. I say
install KOffice and give it a test drive, see for yourself. Rest assured it
won't eat your kittens when you run it.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.