Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Display indirect login X app here?

Hi,
I'm on a Gentoo box here and ssh'ed into a remote network at my
folks house. When I log into the Gentoo machine that the router points
to (my dad's desktop) I have no problem displaying an X app
(gnome-terminal for instance) running on that machine here on my
screen. However when I ssh from that machine into another machine on
the network I am unable to get an X app to display here due to dbus
and/or X problems:

mark@gandalf ~ $ ssh -X -Y -C laptop
Password:
Last login: Sun May 22 03:50:07 PDT 2011 from 192.168.1.2 on pts/0
mark@laptop1 ~ $ konsole
<unknown program name>(4454)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the
D-Bus session server: "/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally
with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
"

<unknown program name>(4453)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

mark@laptop1 ~ $ systemsettings
systemsettings(4457): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus
session server: "/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the
following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
"

systemsettings(4456): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

mark@laptop1 ~ $ su -
Password:
laptop1 ~ # rc-update show
acpid | default
bootmisc | boot
checkfs | boot
checkroot | boot
clock | boot
consolefont | boot
dbus | default
hald | default
hostname | boot
keymaps | boot
local | default nonetwork
localmount | boot
modules | boot
net.lo | boot
netmount | default
ntpd | default
rmnologin | boot
sshd | default
syslog-ng | default
udev-postmount | default
urandom | boot
vixie-cron | default
xdm | default
laptop1 ~ #

Is there an obvious fix to this? All the machines are ssh
configured to do X forwarding and when the laptop was here (my mom's
laptop which I configured for her) I was able to ssh into it and
display stuff so I assume it's something to do with the machine in the
middle?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Jeremy McSpadden

Rather than trying to ssh tunnel + X, why not vpn into one of the machines, that would allow you to be local
and you can then ssh to each machine on the lan from your local.

--
Jeremy McSpadden
deface@uberpenguin.net

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Mark Knecht

OK, I'll give it a try. I've not used VPNs since my abortive Windows
days so I have little trust but it would be good to learn about.

Unfortunately I changed the router to point directly at the laptop and
I still can't launch anything graphical so I'm no longer thinking that
the root cause is the ssh path but rather something having to do with
exporting the display, or something like that. Note that this
individual had the same problem and changed his script in the 2nd
post.

http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3340

Unfortunately I don't know what to do to fix this problem in any global sense...

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Bill Longman

Obvious fix: don't use konsole.

Use xterm.

--

Bill Longman

Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Obvious fix: don't use konsole.
>
> Use xterm.
>
> --
> Bill Longman

Bill,
That's not a fix as it isn't konsole I care about but things like
oocalc, systemsettings and other things which all fail with the same
error message.

As of yet I haven't figured out what the update process messed up
by something has gone sideways on that machine.

- Mark

Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Joost Roeleveld

On Monday 23 May 2011 02:42:21 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Obvious fix: don't use konsole.
> >
> > Use xterm.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Longman
>
> Bill,
> That's not a fix as it isn't konsole I care about but things like
> oocalc, systemsettings and other things which all fail with the same
> error message.
>
> As of yet I haven't figured out what the update process messed up
> by something has gone sideways on that machine.
>
> - Mark

Mark,

Can you start anything that isn't KDE-related?
Like xclock, xterm,...?

That way we can check if the problem is SSH/X related or KDE-related.

You could also try starting a VNC-session to see if that would allow you to
start programs.

Is "dbus" actually running? And is it included in the USE-flags?
Also, later KDE versions require policykit/consolekit,

Consolekit has a service as well that needs to be running.

--
Joost

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 22 May 2011 12:01:59 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> mark@gandalf ~ $ ssh -X -Y -C laptop
> Password:
> Last login: Sun May 22 03:50:07 PDT 2011 from 192.168.1.2 on pts/0
> mark@laptop1 ~ $ konsole
> <unknown program name>(4454)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the
> D-Bus session server: "/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally
> with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

Is $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set? Without it you will get errors like
this.

I have this in my .zshrc to set it on SSH logins.

[[ -n "${SSH_TTY}" ]] && export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$(cat /proc/$(pidof kded4)/environ | tr '' '
' | grep DBUS | cut -d '=' -f2-)" || return 0

--
Neil Bothwick

Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2011 12:01:59 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> mark@gandalf ~ $ ssh -X -Y -C laptop
>> Password:
>> Last login: Sun May 22 03:50:07 PDT 2011 from 192.168.1.2 on pts/0
>> mark@laptop1 ~ $ konsole
>> <unknown program name>(4454)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the
>> D-Bus session server: *"/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally
>> with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
>
> Is $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set? Without it you will get errors like
> this.
>
> I have this in my .zshrc to set it on SSH logins.
>
> [[ -n "${SSH_TTY}" ]] && export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$(cat /proc/$(pidof kded4)/environ | tr '' '
' | grep DBUS | cut -d '=' -f2-)" || return 0

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

Hi Neil,
Turns out I didn't have much of anything on the machine that didn't
come with KDE so I emerged xclock and that app opens here fine. I
guess that points to KDE apps only.

I'll have to do some reading about zssh and how that differs from
openssh that I'm using here. Is there some equivalent of .zshrc that
would allow me to do the same thing? Or maybe something globally in
/etc/ssh?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 24 May 2011 10:50:49 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > Is $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set? Without it you will get errors like
> > this.
> >
> > I have this in my .zshrc to set it on SSH logins.
> >
> > [[ -n "${SSH_TTY}" ]] && export
> > DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$(cat /proc/$(pidof kded4)/environ | tr
> > '' '
' | grep DBUS | cut -d '=' -f2-)" || return 0

> Turns out I didn't have much of anything on the machine that didn't
> come with KDE so I emerged xclock and that app opens here fine. I
> guess that points to KDE apps only.
>
> I'll have to do some reading about zssh and how that differs from
> openssh that I'm using here. Is there some equivalent of .zshrc that
> would allow me to do the same thing? Or maybe something globally in
> /etc/ssh?

It's zsh, not zssh. Zsh is a shell, like Bash but better, so you'd put
the same in .bashrc to use it with Bash.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the the universe."
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 10:50:49 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > Is $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set? Without it you will get errors like
>> > this.
>> >
>> > I have this in my .zshrc to set it on SSH logins.
>> >
>> > [[ -n "${SSH_TTY}" ]] && export
>> > DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$(cat /proc/$(pidof kded4)/environ | tr
>> > '' '
' | grep DBUS | cut -d '=' -f2-)" || return 0

>> * *Turns out I didn't have much of anything on the machine that didn't
>> come with KDE so I emerged xclock and that app opens here fine. I
>> guess that points to KDE apps only.
>>
>> * *I'll have to do some reading about zssh and how that differs from
>> openssh that I'm using here. Is there some equivalent of .zshrc that
>> would allow me to do the same thing? Or maybe something globally in
>> /etc/ssh?
>
> It's zsh, not zssh. Zsh is a shell, like Bash but better, so you'd put
> the same in .bashrc to use it with Bash.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

As always Neil, you continue to amaze me with the depth of solutions
you seem to have at the snap of your fingers. Truly you have forgotten
more than I shall ever know.

Your suggestion seemed to have worked perfectly in my .bashrc file.

I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Mark