Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default libreoffice versus bison-2.5

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 08:46:48 Indi wrote:
> [...]
> > [ebuild N ] dev-util/automoc-0.9.88
> > [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.7.2 USE="(-aqua) -debug -exceptions
> > -pch" [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.7.2 USE="(-aqua)
> > -debug -pch" [ebuild N ] dev-libs/soprano-2.6.0 USE="-clucene
> > -dbus -debug -doc -raptor -redland -test -virtuoso" [ebuild N ]
> > app-crypt/qca-2.0.3 USE="(-aqua) -debug -doc -examples" [ebuild N
> > ] dev-libs/libattica-0.2.0 USE="-debug"
> > [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-gui-4.7.2 USE="accessibility dbus mng
> > qt3support tiff (-aqua) -cups -debug -egl -exceptions -glib -gtkstyle
> > -nas -nis -pch -private-headers -raster -trace -xinerama" [ebuild N
> > ] x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.2 USE="accessibility kde (-aqua) -debug
> > -exceptions -pch -phonon" [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-svg-4.7.2
> > USE="accessibility (-aqua) -debug -exceptions -iconv -pch" [ebuild N
> > ] x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.7.2 USE="qt3support (-aqua) -debug -egl
> > -exceptions -pch" [ebuild N ] media-libs/phonon-4.5.0 USE="(-aqua)
> > -debug -gstreamer -pulseaudio -vlc -xine" [ebuild N ]
> > dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt-0.6.2 USE="-debug -test" [ebuild N ]
> > x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.7.2 USE="kde (-aqua) -dbus -debug -exceptions
> > -jit -pch" [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-declarative-4.7.2-r1
> > USE="qt3support (-aqua) -debug -exceptions -pch -private-headers
> > -webkit" [ebuild N ] sys-auth/polkit-0.101-r1 USE="-debug -doc
> > -examples -gtk (-introspection) -kde -nls -pam" [ebuild N ]
> > sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.4 USE="policykit -debug -doc -pam -test"
> > [ebuild N ] sys-power/upower-0.9.8 USE="-debug -doc
> > (-introspection) -ios" [ebuild N ] sys-apps/sg3_utils-1.29
> > [ebuild N ] sys-apps/rescan-scsi-bus-1.29
> > [ebuild N ] sys-fs/udisks-1.0.2-r1 USE="-bash-completion -debug
> > -doc -nls -remote-access" [ebuild N ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.2-r3
> > USE="bzip2 mmx opengl sse sse2 -3dnow -acl -alsa (-altivec) (-aqua)
> > -bindist -debug -doc -fam -handbook -jpeg2k (-kdeenablefinal)
> > (-kdeprefix) -kerberos -lzma -nls -openexr -policykit -semantic-desktop
> > -spell -ssl -test -udev -zeroconf" [ebuild N ]
> > app-office/koffice-data-2.3.3 USE="(-aqua) (-kdeenablefinal)" [ebuild
> > N ] kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.6.2-r1 USE="(-aqua) -debug -handbook
> > (-kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix) -ldap -semantic-desktop -test" [ebuild
> > N ] app-office/koffice-libs-2.3.3 USE="opengl (-aqua) -crypt -debug
> > (-kdeenablefinal) -openexr -reports -test" [ebuild N ]
> > app-office/kword-2.3.3 USE="(-aqua) -debug (-kdeenablefinal) -wpd"
>
> For people already running kde it's ok, but for the rest of us
> it's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
> I used to use a few "k" apps in the 3 days, they were small and
> easily integrated into the system. Now kde is like it's own OS,
> so they've basically eliminated their apps from consideration of
> non-kde users.
>
> Not that it matters much to me, one of the strengths of gentoo
> is how many ways there are to do a given task.
> But there are quite a few kde zealots who seem to be completely
> unaware of what we mean by "fast, light, standalone".

and have you ever heard of 'code reuse' or 'modularity'?

It seems - no.

Because KDE itself might be huge. But once loaded the apps are pretty small -
because they reuse code. kmail does not have its own html engine. It does not
matter where you type your text etc pp.

Overall KDE uses LESS ram then most 'lightweight' solutions. Because
xterm&abiword&some odd pager&thunderbird don't look so good anymore.

This gem is a couple of years old, but still a worthy read:

http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html

Read it. Seriously.

Oh - and you should spend some time on Alan's postings. He is not only a
certified OLD FART, he has some serious first hand, real world experience that
makes most of the other OLD FARTs on this list look like noobs.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Indi

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:20:01PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> and have you ever heard of 'code reuse' or 'modularity'?
>
> It seems - no.
>
> Because KDE itself might be huge. But once loaded the apps are pretty small -
> because they reuse code. kmail does not have its own html engine. It does not
> matter where you type your text etc pp.

I'm sorry, but the "once you load this GB of libs" argument is
missing the point entirely...

> Overall KDE uses LESS ram then most 'lightweight' solutions.

No.

Been around the block investigating this, it's BS.
I've investigated this quite thoroughly because I have to support
users who need everything to be easy and automatic and pointy-clicky
(and preferably shiny too).

Frankly, arguing that kde4 is a "lighter weight" solution is something
only a hardcore zealot or someone who's not used a WM without a DE could do with a straight face.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Indi

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:20:01PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Oh - and you should spend some time on Alan's postings. He is not only a
> certified OLD FART, he has some serious first hand, real world experience that
> makes most of the other OLD FARTs on this list look like noobs.

Sorry, I meant to address this as well:
Don't get caught in the approval/disapproval trap.
My preferences and opinions have nothing to do with personal stuff.
I read everyone's posts, regardless of whether or not I agree with
them on anything, and have no enemies, because I'm not interested
in that sort of thing.

There are occasionally people who dislike me, and that's fine.
I don't like everybody either.
But generally speaking, what others think is none of my business
until they try to convince me I should also think that way.
Then it seems appropriate to address it.

You know, Linus uses gnome last I heard.
So I'm well aware that my personal preferences have nothing to do
with whether or not I am proficient or knowledgeable.
Maybe I'm pushing peoples' buttons by sounding like some inflexible,
judgemental old fart you met before. If so, sorry! I'm more of a
"live and let live", yet strongly opinionated old fart.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤

Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Indi

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:10:01PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 14:46 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Indi did opine
> thusly:
>
> > For people already running kde it's ok, but for the rest of us
> > it's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
> > I used to use a few "k" apps in the 3 days, they were small and
> > easily integrated into the system. Now kde is like it's own OS,
> > so they've basically eliminated their apps from consideration of
> > non-kde users.
> >
> > Not that it matters much to me, one of the strengths of gentoo
> > is how many ways there are to do a given task.
> > But there are quite a few kde zealots who seem to be completely
> > unaware of what we mean by "fast, light, standalone".
> >
> > I guess some people didn't experience the 80s or 90s.
> >

> It doesn't make sense running koffice without also running KDE, it's a hard
> requirement.
>
> And not only did I experience the 80s and 90s, but the 70s as well.
>
> So now that you have defined what fast, light, standalone means by your
> current needs, it is obvious that no such package exists and hence there is a
> gap in the market.
>
> Now we know what your next project will be.

Writing a virus that destroys all msoffice installs once and for all
so we can finally just use sane formats editable as text?

(kidding, of course, I would never do malware)

Actually, writing an add-on for vim that can edit word documents
is an idea I plan to look into when I get some time.
Right now I use up all my poor little brain's ability to focus
on other things, but maybe soon there'll be a break.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:13 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Volker Armin
Hemmann did opine thusly:

> Oh - and you should spend some time on Alan's postings. He is not only a
> certified OLD FART, he has some serious first hand, real world experience
> that makes most of the other OLD FARTs on this list look like noobs.

Oh, I don't know about that so much. OK, I agree on the old fart bit.

But many days Neil and Paul can make me look like a blithering idiot :-)

Incidentally, this gentoo-user list has the highest concentration of seriously
knowledgeable folk across a wide spectrum of any list/forum/whatever I've ever
come across. Sometimes, it's frightening.

I just wanted to put that out there - positive reinforcement.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:11:24 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> But many days Neil and Paul can make me look like a blithering idiot :-)

Only with your help :P

--
Neil Bothwick

Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas confused?
Because oct 31 is the same as dec 25.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Alex Schuster

Volker Armin Hemmann writes:

> This gem is a couple of years old, but still a worthy read:
>
> http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html
>

> Read it. Seriously.

Interesting. I'd like to also see KDE4 values

BTW, according to the author, the only real memory usage information
utility is Exmap. It's in portage, but when I run it (both exmtool and
gexmap, and the exmap kernel module is loaded), it outputs lots of
stuff, then aborts with 'start pgnum out of range'. Is anyone actually
using it?

Wonko

Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:13:41PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
> On Wednesday 25 May 2011 08:46:48 Indi wrote:

> and have you ever heard of 'code reuse' or 'modularity'?
>
> It seems - no.
>
> Because KDE itself might be huge. But once loaded the apps are pretty small -
> because they reuse code. kmail does not have its own html engine. It does not
> matter where you type your text etc pp.

Sorta like Internet Explorer in Windows. It "loads" a lot faster and
lighter than Firefox or Opera. That's because ie.exe is merely a "front
end" to a bunch of libraries that are loaded at boot time, which
contributes to the boot process taking do long. Starting ie.exe takes
hardly any time, because 90% of the app is already loaded.

> Overall KDE uses LESS ram then most 'lightweight' solutions. Because
> xterm&abiword&some odd pager&thunderbird don't look so good anymore.
>
> This gem is a couple of years old, but still a worthy read:
>
> http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html
>

> Read it. Seriously.

I don't know how good "exmap" is, but my personal experience is quite
different. Between Fall 1999 and Summer 2007 I had a Dell Dimension
with a 450 mhz PIII and 128 megs of *SYSTEM RAM* (no not the video card).
It was actually quite usable to the very end, with Blackbox WM, and
running a few apps. Meanwhile, KDE (and GNOME for that matter) would
take forever to load and make the system crawl after that, even with 1
or 2 apps loaded.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Mick

On Thursday 26 May 2011 05:50:14 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:13:41PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
>
> > On Wednesday 25 May 2011 08:46:48 Indi wrote:
> >
> > and have you ever heard of 'code reuse' or 'modularity'?
> >
> > It seems - no.
> >
> > Because KDE itself might be huge. But once loaded the apps are pretty
> > small - because they reuse code. kmail does not have its own html
> > engine. It does not matter where you type your text etc pp.
>
> Sorta like Internet Explorer in Windows. It "loads" a lot faster and
> lighter than Firefox or Opera. That's because ie.exe is merely a "front
> end" to a bunch of libraries that are loaded at boot time, which
> contributes to the boot process taking do long. Starting ie.exe takes
> hardly any time, because 90% of the app is already loaded.
>
> > Overall KDE uses LESS ram then most 'lightweight' solutions. Because
> > xterm&abiword&some odd pager&thunderbird don't look so good anymore.
> >
> > This gem is a couple of years old, but still a worthy read:
> >
> > http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html
> >

> > Read it. Seriously.
>
> I don't know how good "exmap" is, but my personal experience is quite
> different. Between Fall 1999 and Summer 2007 I had a Dell Dimension
> with a 450 mhz PIII and 128 megs of *SYSTEM RAM* (no not the video card).
> It was actually quite usable to the very end, with Blackbox WM, and
> running a few apps. Meanwhile, KDE (and GNOME for that matter) would
> take forever to load and make the system crawl after that, even with 1
> or 2 apps loaded.

I remember running Slackware on a Pentium 1 100MHz laptop with 128M RAM. The
speed was of course glacial unless I was running only a console with no X.
KDE would load and run, as long as I didn't push it too much. Fluxbox was
more respectable.

In contrast, MSWindows NT4 would load and run better as it was a more light-
footed OS. MSWindows 3.1 was blisteringly fast and MSDOS, well ...

However, life moves on and with the cost of hardware coming down software has
moved towards larger, all bells and whistles, DEs. The change in design
philosophy from KDE3 to KDE4 made things worse for those of us who do not want
everything and the kitchen sink thrown in, but still want to use some KDE
apps.

Thankfully, the move to the KDE meta ebuilds has provided some compensation
against a full blown monolithic KDE.

Personally, I'm grateful that Linux devs continue to develop exceptional
software and so I don't have to use MSWindows. On the other hand I have
always preferred more lightweight WMs to the full enchilada of KDE and Gnome
and wish that KDE devs retained the KDE3 design philosophy, or afforded us a
light(er) option.

PS. I'm not sure that Linus is using Gnome. I recall him bitching that the
Gnome design approach (which unfortunately KDE imitated) was not the right
direction to evolve linux in.
Mick

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Jess J. Guerrero Botella

2011/5/26 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> PS. *I'm not sure that Linus is using Gnome. *I recall him bitching that the
> Gnome design approach (which unfortunately KDE imitated) was not the right
> direction to evolve linux in.

Offtopic, but... He ditched gnome, then, a couple of years ago, he
ditched kde4. He will for sure ditch gnome3 in about a couple of
months.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/012209-open-source-identity-linux-founder.html?page=1

He also said some time ago that, for years to come, there wouldn't be
a 2.8 or 3.x for the linux kernel, but yesterday he said the opposite.

That's not good or bad, it's just Linus speaking
--
Jess Guerrero Botella