Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Mick

Default Inkscape-0.48.1-r1 really sloooooow

Hi All,

I installed inkscape-0.48.1-r1 on a x86 machine. For a few
seconds/minutes after opening an svg image rendering is fast as
expected, but soon it gets bogged down to the point of seeing the
image being rendered in slow motion, a row at a time if e.g. I scroll
up or down the page. Only 20% of RAM (of 3G total) is being used at
the time, so I'm guessing this could be something to do with the ATI
video card?

Other graphics apps open at the same time (e.g. Gimp) do not have such
problems rendering graphics (albeit not svg).

Before I post loads of info which may be unnecessary, have you come
across anything similar and how can I troubleshoot it?

PS. I unmasked 0.48.1-r1 because 0.48.0 was even worse.
Mick

Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 05/20/2011 08:49 AM, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed inkscape-0.48.1-r1 on a x86 machine. For a few
> seconds/minutes after opening an svg image rendering is fast as
> expected, but soon it gets bogged down to the point of seeing the
> image being rendered in slow motion, a row at a time if e.g. I scroll
> up or down the page. Only 20% of RAM (of 3G total) is being used at
> the time, so I'm guessing this could be something to do with the ATI
> video card?
>
> Other graphics apps open at the same time (e.g. Gimp) do not have such
> problems rendering graphics (albeit not svg).
>
> Before I post loads of info which may be unnecessary, have you come
> across anything similar and how can I troubleshoot it?
>
> PS. I unmasked 0.48.1-r1 because 0.48.0 was even worse.

I don't suppose you have a ton of fonts installed? I've had Inkscape
lock up for like 5 minutes at a time when it was loading the font list
(either at startup or when opening the text dialog).

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Mick

Thanks Michael,

On Sunday 22 May 2011 00:51:45 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 05/20/2011 08:49 AM, Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I installed inkscape-0.48.1-r1 on a x86 machine. For a few
> > seconds/minutes after opening an svg image rendering is fast as
> > expected, but soon it gets bogged down to the point of seeing the
> > image being rendered in slow motion, a row at a time if e.g. I scroll
> > up or down the page. Only 20% of RAM (of 3G total) is being used at
> > the time, so I'm guessing this could be something to do with the ATI
> > video card?
> >
> > Other graphics apps open at the same time (e.g. Gimp) do not have such
> > problems rendering graphics (albeit not svg).

> I don't suppose you have a ton of fonts installed? I've had Inkscape
> lock up for like 5 minutes at a time when it was loading the font list
> (either at startup or when opening the text dialog).

No, although I do have a few fonts and a couple extra in ~/.fonts, but the
application opens straight away. The image does not have fonts in it and it
opens reasonably fast. As soon the user zooms in or pan around the image then
the slow rendering starts.

I have now looked a bit more into this problem and it seems that inkscape is
slower in MSWindows (dual boot machine). So I concluded that this is an
inkscape issue, rather than Gentoo specific.

Also, googling around it seems that zooming in a lot (more than 1000%) or
using many filters (as this user is on the particular image) slows down
inkscape:

http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8721

As suggested in the thread above, a work around until the inkscape code is
improved is to change the View mode to 'No Filters'. This trick restores
rendering speed to reasonable levels.
Mick

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I have now looked a bit more into this problem and it seems that inkscape is
slower in MSWindows (dual boot machine). So I concluded that this is an
inkscape issue, rather than Gentoo specific.

FWIW, Inkscape is quite slow here too. Core 2 Duo 3.4GHz with 6GB RAM.