Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default RIP lafilefixer: I must have missed the memo

I've been using dev-util/lafilefixer ever since I learned about it.* Now I've bumped into a thread whose latest posts suggests that it is now obsolete, with a better capability built into portage.

I hope this is true.* I'd love to ditch it because "lafilefixer --justfixit" never fails to process some packages that are hardwired for one reason or another.* Some search engine results suggest this may be true, but they're mostly old.* Is this still and permanently true?

If so, why is it still in portage and no mention of its obsolesence in the elogs?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 19.05.2011 04:09, schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
> I've been using dev-util/lafilefixer ever since I learned about it. Now
> I've bumped into a thread whose latest posts suggests that it is now
> obsolete, with a better capability built into portage.

From man make.conf

FEATURES =

fixlafiles Modifies .la files to not include other .la files and
some other fixes (order of flags, duplicated entries, ...)

As far as I can see this feature is on by default.

> If so, why is it still in portage and no mention of its obsolesence in the
> elogs?

I use sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha34 so it it possible that it is not
yet in stable portage.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Sebastian Be▀ler
<sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:
>> If so, why is it still in portage and no mention of its obsolesence in the
>> elogs?
>
> I use sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha34 so it it possible that it is not
> yet in stable portage.

AFAIK this feature has been introduced in portage 2.1.9 (which is stable).

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Paul Hartman

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Sebastian Be▀ler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

Am 19.05.2011 04:09, schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:

> I've been using dev-util/lafilefixer ever since I learned about it. *Now

> I've bumped into a thread whose latest posts suggests that it is now

> obsolete, with a better capability built into portage.

From man make.conf

FEATURES =

fixlafiles * * * Modifies .la files to not include other .la files and

some other fixes (order of flags, duplicated entries, ...)

As far as I can see this feature is on by default.

> If so, why is it still in portage and no mention of its obsolesence in the

> elogs?

I use sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha34 so it it possible that it is not

yet in stable portage.

Yep, it's in stable and I'm very glad.* I'm unmerging lafilefixer, which has been a pain in several ways.

Thanks for the info.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD