Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Mick

Default system rescue usb stick

On Saturday 21 May 2011 23:17:30 walt wrote:
> On 05/20/2011 04:22 AM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> > On 05/19/2011 04:12 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> >> Is SystemRescueCd still a good system rescue tool? The web site has not
> >> been updated for over 1 year. Thanks for other suggestions.
> >
> > I use it for all my gentoo installations as well.
> > Have even removed windows viruses from windows boxen with it.
>
> How did you repair a windows box with it? I can't even begin to guess!

Mount it with ntfs-3g, scan it with clam after updating the virus signatures
(freshclam) and then remove or copy away infected files.

Alternatively, it may be possible to dd the partition and pipe it to clam (not
sure if this will work with a whole partition instead of a file) using
something like:

dd if=/dev/sda1 | clamscan -

Alternatively, you can use Knoppix and Fprot, bitdefender and clam.

Or, you can use the many LiveCDs and Live-USBs that Kaspersky, BitDefender, et
al are producing these days.
Mick

Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Coert Waagmeester

On 05/22/2011 01:36 PM, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 21 May 2011 23:17:30 walt wrote:
>>>
>>> I use it for all my gentoo installations as well.
>>> Have even removed windows viruses from windows boxen with it.
>>
>> How did you repair a windows box with it? I can't even begin to guess!
>
> Mount it with ntfs-3g, scan it with clam after updating the virus signatures
> (freshclam) and then remove or copy away infected files.

This is exactly what I did.

I cant live without systemrescueCD

The USB installer is also awesome.