Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Mick

Default decplean left libtunepimp.la behind

Had a depclean session which removed:

media-libs/musicbrainz
selected: 2.1.5
protected: none
omitted: 3.0.2

Then I followed up with revdep-rebuild and this comes up:

* Generated new 1_files.rr
* Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
* Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
* Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 67% ] * broken /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la (requires -lmusicbrainz)
[snip ...]

* Assigning files to packages
* !!! /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la not owned by any package is broken !!!
* /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la -> (none)

What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
/usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?
Mick

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
> /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?

It's a library for accessing music metadata from http://musicbrainz.org/

I think the *.la file might be left over because it was changed after
being emerged (say, you upgraded to a new gcc and the .la files were
updated by tool rather than re-emerging everything in the world). So
unmerge would leave it behind because the checksum doesn't match that
which was originally installed.

So, yes, I would delete it.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Mick did opine
thusly:

> Had a depclean session which removed:
>
> media-libs/musicbrainz
> selected: 2.1.5
> protected: none
> omitted: 3.0.2
>
> Then I followed up with revdep-rebuild and this comes up:
>
> * Generated new 1_files.rr
> * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
> * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> [ 67% ] * broken /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la (requires -lmusicbrainz)
> [snip ...]
>
> * Assigning files to packages
> * !!! /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la not owned by any package is broken !!!
> * /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la -> (none)
>

> What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
> /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?

Look into any *.la file and you will see stuff like this:

/usr/lib/libsqlite3.la:dependency_libs=' -ldl -lpthread'

The .la files are hints to the linker telling it how to do stuff, the -l bits
reference libraries that will be needed. Far more often than is acceptable,
libtool cocks this up in spectacular ways, which is why we had

lafilefixer --justfixit

for so long, and why it is now built into portage.

I have musicbrainz, but I do not have /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la and yours is
orphaned anyway - it probably got left behind long ago when depclean didn't
know it was related to musicbrainz.

Just delete the thing, be done with it, revdep-rebuild will stfu and you will
be a much happier chappy

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 22:28:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Mick did
> opine
>
> thusly:
> > Had a depclean session which removed:
> > media-libs/musicbrainz
> >
> > selected: 2.1.5
> >
> > protected: none
> >
> > omitted: 3.0.2
> >
> > Then I followed up with revdep-rebuild and this comes up:
> > * Generated new 1_files.rr
> > * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
> > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> >
> > [ 67% ] * broken /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la (requires -lmusicbrainz)
> > [snip ...]
> >
> > * Assigning files to packages
> > * !!! /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la not owned by any package is broken !!!
> > * /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la -> (none)
> >
> > What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
> > /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?
>
> Look into any *.la file and you will see stuff like this:
>
> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.la:dependency_libs=' -ldl -lpthread'
>
> The .la files are hints to the linker telling it how to do stuff, the -l
> bits reference libraries that will be needed. Far more often than is
> acceptable, libtool cocks this up in spectacular ways, which is why we had
>
> lafilefixer --justfixit
>
> for so long, and why it is now built into portage.
>
> I have musicbrainz, but I do not have /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la and yours is
> orphaned anyway - it probably got left behind long ago when depclean didn't
> know it was related to musicbrainz.
>
> Just delete the thing, be done with it, revdep-rebuild will stfu and you
> will be a much happier chappy

Thanks guys, it's been blitzed!
Mick

Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 22:28:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Mick did
>> opine
>>
>> thusly:
>> > Had a depclean session which removed:
>> > *media-libs/musicbrainz
>> >
>> > * * selected: 2.1.5
>> >
>> > * *protected: none
>> >
>> > * * *omitted: 3.0.2
>> >
>> > Then I followed up with revdep-rebuild and this comes up:
>> > ** Generated new 1_files.rr
>> > ** Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> > ** Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
>> > ** Checking dynamic linking consistency
>> >
>> > [ 67% ] ** * broken /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la (requires -lmusicbrainz)
>> > [snip ...]
>> >
>> > ** Assigning files to packages
>> > ** *!!! /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la not owned by any package is broken !!!
>> > ** * /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la -> (none)
>> >
>> > What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
>> > /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?
>>
>> Look into any *.la file and you will see stuff like this:
>>
>> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.la:dependency_libs=' -ldl -lpthread'
>>
>> The .la files are hints to the linker telling it how to do stuff, the -l
>> bits reference libraries that will be needed. Far more often than is
>> acceptable, libtool cocks this up in spectacular ways, which is why we had
>>
>> lafilefixer --justfixit
>>
>> for so long, and why it is now built into portage.
>>
>> I have musicbrainz, but I do not have /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la and yours is
>> orphaned anyway - it probably got left behind long ago when depclean didn't
>> know it was related to musicbrainz.
>>
>> Just delete the thing, be done with it, revdep-rebuild will stfu and you
>> will be a much happier chappy
>
> Thanks guys, it's been blitzed!

I think the long-term plan is to eliminate the *.la files entirely,
once all packages have been updated as such by their maintainers, so
hopefully this kind of problem will vanish in the not-too-distant
future.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Paul Hartman

Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:17 on Thursday 19 May 2011, Paul Hartman
did opine thusly:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 22:28:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Mick did
> >> opine
> >>
> >> thusly:

> >> Look into any *.la file and you will see stuff like this:
> >>
> >> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.la:dependency_libs=' -ldl -lpthread'
> >>
> >> The .la files are hints to the linker telling it how to do stuff, the -l
> >> bits reference libraries that will be needed. Far more often than is
> >> acceptable, libtool cocks this up in spectacular ways, which is why we
> >> had
> >>
> >> lafilefixer --justfixit
> >>
> >> for so long, and why it is now built into portage.
> >>
> >> I have musicbrainz, but I do not have /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la and yours
> >> is orphaned anyway - it probably got left behind long ago when depclean
> >> didn't know it was related to musicbrainz.
> >>
> >> Just delete the thing, be done with it, revdep-rebuild will stfu and you
> >> will be a much happier chappy
> >
> > Thanks guys, it's been blitzed!
>
> I think the long-term plan is to eliminate the *.la files entirely,
> once all packages have been updated as such by their maintainers, so
> hopefully this kind of problem will vanish in the not-too-distant
> future.

It's closer than you might think, there are very few packages left to be
fixed:

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/05/03/surviving-without-libtool-archives

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com