-   -   Flash lockups (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/527931-flash-lockups.html)

Peter Humphrey 05-18-2011 04:57 PM

Flash lockups

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:

> What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since updating
> to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no problem that
> I recognize on any of my machines.

I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward, but
after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't find
Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried Opera,
Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat and looked
at me when asked to stream audio.

I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times and now
the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups when cycling
desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does sometimes cause
lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and substituting gnash or
something, because I do like to listen to the radio.

This is an amd64 box. I have only:

$ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1

--
Rgds
Peter

Joost Roeleveld 05-18-2011 06:05 PM

Flash lockups

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:57:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since updating
> > to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no problem that
> > I recognize on any of my machines.
>
> I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward, but
> after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't find
> Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried Opera,
> Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat and looked
> at me when asked to stream audio.
>
> I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times and now
> the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups when cycling
> desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does sometimes cause
> lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and substituting gnash
> or something, because I do like to listen to the radio.
>
> This is an amd64 box. I have only:
>
> $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
> ~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1

I believe these may be related to having the oficial nvidia drivers.
When having those, it wants to use hardware acceleration and adobe hasn't
figured out how to do that properly yet....

--
Joost

Mark Knecht 05-18-2011 07:03 PM

Flash lockups

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:57:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> > What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since updating
>> > to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no problem that
>> > I recognize on any of my machines.
>>
>> I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward, but
>> after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't find
>> Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried Opera,
>> Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat and looked
>> at me when asked to stream audio.
>>
>> I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times and now
>> the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups when cycling
>> desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does sometimes cause
>> lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and substituting gnash
>> or something, because I do like to listen to the radio.
>>
>> This is an amd64 box. I have only:
>>
>> $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> ~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1
>
> I believe these may be related to having the oficial nvidia drivers.
> When having those, it wants to use hardware acceleration and adobe hasn't
> figured out how to do that properly yet....
>
> --
> Joost

I do use the ~amd64 nvidia-driver & flash here and haven't seen any
problems, although I don't make a lot of use of Flash in Linux but
rather do most media watching in a Win XP VM.

- Mark

mark@c2stable ~ $ eix -Ic flash
[i] www-plugins/adobe-flash (10.3.181.14-r1@05/14/11): Adobe Flash Player
mark@c2stable ~ $ eix -Ic nvidia
[i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk (3.2@01/31/11): NVIDIA CUDA Software
Development Kit
[i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit (3.2@01/31/11): NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit
[i] media-video/nvidia-settings (260.19.29@01/26/11): NVIDIA Linux X11
Settings Utility
[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (270.41.06@05/11/11): NVIDIA X11 driver
and GLX libraries
Found 4 matches.
mark@c2stable ~ $

Peter Humphrey 05-18-2011 11:43 PM

Flash lockups

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 19:05:28 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:57:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since
> > > updating to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no
> > > problem that I recognize on any of my machines.
> >
> > I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward,
> > but after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't
> > find Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried
> > Opera, Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat
> > and looked at me when asked to stream audio.
> >
> > I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times
> > and now the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups
> > when cycling desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does
> > sometimes cause lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and
> > substituting gnash or something, because I do like to listen to the
> > radio.
> >
> > This is an amd64 box. I have only:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
> > ~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1
>
> I believe these may be related to having the oficial nvidia drivers.
> When having those, it wants to use hardware acceleration and adobe hasn't
> figured out how to do that properly yet....

I realised a second after clicking Send that I hadn't said I'm using the
nouveau driver. I don't have nvidia-drivers installed.

So it isn't that.

--
Rgds
Peter

Adam Carter 05-19-2011 12:23 AM

Flash lockups

I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward, but

after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't find

Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried Opera,

Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat and looked

at me when asked to stream audio.

I'm amd64 too, but run ~amd64 for flash and Firefox. 10.2 was a real piece of crap, but 10.3 has just hit portage and it seems fine so far.

On a related note, who's using gnash (which is in portage), or lightspark (in portage but masked)? Are they drop in replacements for flash? As they're source I imagine they may be a better alternative for amd64 than the 32 bit adobe player.

Peter Humphrey 05-19-2011 01:00 AM

Flash lockups

On Thursday 19 May 2011 01:23:10 Adam Carter wrote:

> 10.2 was a real piece of crap, but 10.3 has just hit portage and it seems
> fine so far.

Ah, thanks. I've just installed that version and will see how it goes.

--
Rgds
Peter

Stroller 05-19-2011 01:28 AM

Flash lockups

On 18/5/2011, at 5:57pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> ... (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.)

Why do you bother at all, then?

Use get_iplayer:
http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git

Stroller.

Peter Humphrey 05-19-2011 01:41 AM

Flash lockups

On Thursday 19 May 2011 02:28:21 Stroller wrote:
> On 18/5/2011, at 5:57pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > ... (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.)
>
> Why do you bother at all, then?
>
> Use get_iplayer:
> http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git

I'd never heard of it, that's why. Many thanks for the pointer.

--
Rgds
Peter

Stroller 05-19-2011 03:56 AM

Flash lockups

On 19/5/2011, at 2:41am, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Thursday 19 May 2011 02:28:21 Stroller wrote:
>> On 18/5/2011, at 5:57pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> ... (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.)
>>
>> Why do you bother at all, then?
>>
>> Use get_iplayer:
>> http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git
>
> I'd never heard of it, that's why. Many thanks for the pointer.

It's definitely worth joining the mailing list. It's low-volume, but that's where you'll discover updates. The BBC periodically change their SWF validation URL and stuff like this.

get_iplayer is a bit obscenely complicated, but once you set a cron job to run `--pvr-queue` and daily email delivery of new programmes it becomes really simple just to queue a new show for download.

I tend to use things like `get_iplayer --longhelp | grep search` when I do want to do something different.

Make sure you use `--prefs-add` to ensure prioritisation of highest quality formats, output directory &c.
E.G.: `get_iplayer --nopurge --prefs-add && get_iplayer --prefs-show`

Stroller.

Mick 05-19-2011 10:05 PM

Flash lockups

On Thursday 19 May 2011 23:03:10 Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May 2011 04:56:42 Stroller wrote:

> > > I'd never heard of it, that's why. Many thanks for the pointer.
> >
> > It's definitely worth joining the mailing list. It's low-volume, but
> > that's where you'll discover updates. The BBC periodically change their
> > SWF validation URL and stuff like this.
> >
> > get_iplayer is a bit obscenely complicated, but once you set a cron job
> > to run `--pvr-queue` and daily email delivery of new programmes it
> > becomes really simple just to queue a new show for download.
> >
> > I tend to use things like `get_iplayer --longhelp | grep search` when I
> > do want to do something different.
> >
> > Make sure you use `--prefs-add` to ensure prioritisation of highest
> > quality formats, output directory &c. E.G.: `get_iplayer --nopurge
> > --prefs-add && get_iplayer --prefs-show`
>
> I see they have a cgi now ... how is that supposed to work?

Ah! Found it a second later:

http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/blob/a3ab6296f6952d2528252313fc9730026f42759c:/README-
get_iplayer.cgi.txt
Mick