Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Recently reduced video/render performance

Hi list!

Since updating to mplayer and KDE to current stable
(media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20101114 and kde-4.6), I notice two
performance regressions:

1. The system can no longer handle videos with VGA resolution or higher
at 25 FPS (I'm talking about a Core i5 with corresponding intel
graphics, btw).
2. glxgears reports
"Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
291 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.121 FPS"

So, even if it is running vsync, 58 FPS is definitely not the refresh
rate. Previously, it has been around 1000 FPS or something like this.

I don't believe mplayer is really the problem since VLC also has this
problem and ffmpeg was not updated.

Does anyone else experience this? I don't have an xorg.conf file. Do I
need to make some settings since updating KDE?

Thanks in advance!
Florian Philipp

Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Mick

On 18 May 2011 15:59, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Since updating to mplayer and KDE to current stable
> (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20101114 and kde-4.6), I notice two
> performance regressions:
>
> 1. The system can no longer handle videos with VGA resolution or higher
> at 25 FPS (I'm talking about a Core i5 with corresponding intel
> graphics, btw).
> 2. glxgears reports
> "Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. *The framerate should be
> approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
> 291 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.121 FPS"
>
> So, even if it is running vsync, 58 FPS is definitely not the refresh
> rate. Previously, it has been around 1000 FPS or something like this.
>
> I don't believe mplayer is really the problem since VLC also has this
> problem and ffmpeg was not updated.
>
> Does anyone else experience this? I don't have an xorg.conf file. Do I
> need to make some settings since updating KDE?

Have you implemented KMS for intel as described here?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

The driver should pick up the necessary refresh rates from EDID and
you should not need to set anything up manually.

Xorg configuration is only necessary when you want to configure input
devices if the default evdev settings are for some reason not suitable
for you.

I don't have an intel card to compare settings, but hopefully someone
ought to come up soon.
Mick

Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 16:59:13 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Since updating to mplayer and KDE to current stable
> (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20101114 and kde-4.6), I notice two
> performance regressions:
>
> 1. The system can no longer handle videos with VGA resolution or higher
> at 25 FPS (I'm talking about a Core i5 with corresponding intel
> graphics, btw).
> 2. glxgears reports
> "Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
> approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
> 291 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.121 FPS"
>
> So, even if it is running vsync, 58 FPS is definitely not the refresh
> rate. Previously, it has been around 1000 FPS or something like this.
>
> I don't believe mplayer is really the problem since VLC also has this
> problem and ffmpeg was not updated.
>
> Does anyone else experience this? I don't have an xorg.conf file. Do I
> need to make some settings since updating KDE?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Florian Philipp

you have vsync turned on. Turn it off.