Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Joel Andres Granados

Default Manual pages for rescue.

Hello list:

Lets be more intelligent with having the man pages in rescue. Some time ago a pushed a patch (d8db548b62e3523e9b63f18c277876610fc6b81a) that supposedly fixed that fact that we couldn't see the manpages in rescue mode. I revisited this issue today and came up with a better solution. I had added groff package to the initrd.img and so that they could be executable from the rescue mode. I later realized that it was not a good idea because this package must already be contained in the /mnt/sysimage (and if its not, the user could not see man pages to begin with. Additionally I had to add to the MANPATH stuff for finding the man pages in non-chroot and in chroot (/usr/share/man and /mnt/sysimage/usr/share/man not good). Alas it was a fast fix.

But I have come today to correct my little mistake What I have done is made use of the /mnt/sysimage man executables (groff, iconv, nroff...) with links from the image. in this way we don't add to the initrd.img and the manpages can work in both chrooted and non-chrooted environments. Patch is attached.

Comments appreciated.
--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 17:30 +0100, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
> But I have come today to correct my little mistake What I have
> done is made use of the /mnt/sysimage man executables (groff, iconv,
> nroff...) with links from the image. in this way we don't add to the
> initrd.img and the manpages can work in both chrooted and non-chrooted
> environments. Patch is attached.

How consistent is man.config? The sed worries me a little just in that
it could fail over time, but I'm willing to go with it

Jeremy

Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Joel Andres Granados

Jeremy Katz wrote:

But I have come today to correct my little mistake What I have
done is made use of the /mnt/sysimage man executables (groff, iconv,
nroff...) with links from the image. in this way we don't add to the
initrd.img and the manpages can work in both chrooted and non-chrooted
environments. Patch is attached.

How consistent is man.config?

Well, If you have a man page in a nonstandard place, obviously it wont be found when searched by man. I'm pretty confident that the file takes care of what is needed in rescue. Additionally, with this approach, we do what we were doing with the MANPATH env var and a little bit more. If you look closely into the man.config file there are two lines:
MANPATH /usr/share/man
MANPATH /usr/local/share/man
they contain the information that we hard coded into the rescue.py file when we set the MANPATH env var. Additionally it contains other dirs that might be useful (when user needs a strange man not contained in the previous dirs).
Moreover for the sed to fail over, the man.config would have to erase these two line. And if these two lines are changed the setting of the MANPATH in rescue.py would fail over anyway (because the place where the manpages are held would change), so I think we are pretty safe taking info from the file.