-   -   eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/52762-eth0-pcmcia-usb-adapter.html)

"Simon Turner" 02-11-2008 03:12 PM

eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter

Hi,
I'm having trouble installing gentoo on my old laptop... It says it
can't find the interface eth0. I believe it has to do with the fact I
have a pcmcia card with usb ports on which a usb2eth adapter is
plugged.

On another system I use on that laptop, it usually tries to
recognize my net adapters first (doesn't find any), then recognizes
pcmcia cards which enables support for the usb adapter, then in my
rc.local I have to manually setup my ip address or tell to use dhcp.

Hmmm, from inside the gentoo system, I found lsmod was empty (which
could be normal as I wanted everything compiled in the kernel) and
lspci was not found...

I'm pretty confortable with everything exept these pcmcia cards... if
anybody could give me a hand!

Thanks, Simon

Below are extracts from my current system (slax6rc6, livelinux based
on slackware)

---(lspci)--------------
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
Host bridge (AGP disabled) (rev 03)
00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 05)
00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 05)
00:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems Cyber 9525 (rev 49)
00:05.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:05.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:05.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:05.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:07.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Communication controller: Toshiba America Info Systems FIR Port (rev 23)
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)
05:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
05:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
05:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

---(lsmod)-------------------
Module Size Used by
xt_multiport 3968 1
nf_conntrack_ipv4 14220 1
xt_state 2944 1
nf_conntrack 49160 2 nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state
nfnetlink 5912 2 nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack
xt_tcpudp 4096 5
iptable_filter 3328 1
ip_tables 11620 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 12420 4 xt_multiport,xt_state,xt_tcpudp,ip_tables
snd_seq_dummy 3588 0
snd_seq_oss 29696 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7040 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 46544 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss 39584 0
snd_mixer_oss 14848 1 snd_pcm_oss
capability 4232 0
commoncap 6272 1 capability
fuse 38676 0
3c589_cs 11396 0
agpgart 26568 0
lp 10792 0
parport_pc 24868 1
parport 31816 2 lp,parport_pc
psmouse 35592 0
pegasus 23568 0
mii 5632 1 pegasus
radio_maestro 7296 0
compat_ioctl32 2176 1 radio_maestro
ohci_hcd 19460 0
ehci_hcd 29964 0
videodev 25728 1 radio_maestro
v4l2_common 23296 1 videodev
v4l1_compat 14724 2 radio_maestro,videodev
pcmcia 32172 1 3c589_cs
snd_es1968 24832 0
gameport 12168 1 snd_es1968
snd_ac97_codec 93860 1 snd_es1968
ac97_bus 2944 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 68100 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_es1968,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 18948 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
donauboe 11008 0
snd_page_alloc 8328 2 snd_es1968,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 7552 1 snd_es1968
snd_rawmidi 19360 1 snd_mpu401_uart
irda 109112 1 donauboe
snd_seq_device 7308 4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
serio_raw 6148 0
crc_ccitt 2816 2 donauboe,irda
pcspkr 3328 0
snd 43108 11
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ es1968,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401 _uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore 6752 1 snd
ata_generic 6020 0
i2c_piix4 8332 0
i2c_core 18176 1 i2c_piix4
yenta_socket 24076 3
rsrc_nonstatic 11776 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 33684 4 3c589_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
sg 27292 0
evdev 8960 0
usb_storage 79936 3
uhci_hcd 21644 0
nls_iso8859_1 4864 1
nls_cp437 6528 1
aufs 97140 1
squashfs 45316 59
sqlzma 3844 1 squashfs
unlzma 5504 1 sqlzma

Mick 02-12-2008 07:44 PM

eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter

On Monday 11 February 2008, Simon Turner wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having trouble installing gentoo on my old laptop... It says it
> can't find the interface eth0. I believe it has to do with the fact I
> have a pcmcia card with usb ports on which a usb2eth adapter is
> plugged.
>
> On another system I use on that laptop, it usually tries to
> recognize my net adapters first (doesn't find any), then recognizes
> pcmcia cards which enables support for the usb adapter, then in my
> rc.local I have to manually setup my ip address or tell to use dhcp.
>
> Hmmm, from inside the gentoo system, I found lsmod was empty (which
> could be normal as I wanted everything compiled in the kernel) and
> lspci was not found...
>
> I'm pretty confortable with everything exept these pcmcia cards... if
> anybody could give me a hand!
>
> Thanks, Simon
>
> Below are extracts from my current system (slax6rc6, livelinux based
> on slackware)

# lspci -v will show you more detail. So, should lshw, when you install it.

From the listed modules these seem to deal with your cardbus:

yenta_socket 24076 3
rsrc_nonstatic 11776 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 33684 4 3c589_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
pcmcia 32172 1 3c589_cs

Build the relevant USB drivers for your machine into the kernel.

HTH.
Mick

"Simon Turner" 02-13-2008 12:49 AM

eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter

Strange it took almost a day before I could see my post! Guess I was
"moderated"...

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the reply. I've gone through about 4 kernel recompiles,
each time wondering with question marks over my head, sure I had
everything compiled in... I ended up adding pretty much anything
that would be related to "PCI", "USB", "PCMCIA", "SCSI"... with the
exception of the modules specific to some hardware I clearly dont
have.

I kept a copy of my .config each time, so, I will be able to study
what I changed between the 3rd and 4th recompiles.

I have to say, it was my first adventure playing around with the
kernel, and I reached a high level of frustration, impatience but the
level of my greed kept being at the top and I'd say it simply changed
my life! =)

I just find "make menuconfig" a bit confusing when searching for
things... a simple grep on Kconfigs is so much better sometimes:
`find /usr/src/linux/ -name "Kconfig" -exec grep {} -Hn -e "USB"`

Someone told it wasn't correct to edit the .config directly (most
probably because of depencies), but is it possible, at my own risk?

Thanks, Simon

"Simon Turner" 02-13-2008 02:27 PM

eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter

Wow, that's a good start! I'll keep your post aside for when I go
through the kernel again (i'm not at the point of setting up all
software).

At least, now that I got it working I can relax and start
understanding what I've done! ;)

Thanks a lot Mick!
Simon