Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Mick

Default KDE4.6 with two monitors does not respect boundaries/edges between them

It seems that some setting changed from the 4.5 to 4.6 because now the
boundaries between the two monitors are no longer respected. Let me try to
explain:

In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of the
real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in the right
monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.

Also in KDE4.5 moving an application window near the ends of a monitor would
snap to the edge even if this was the vertical edge between the two monitors.

In KDE4.6 application windows maximise across both screens and there's no
snapping into the edge at the middle.

Finally, I can no longer set different wallpapers for the two monitors.

Is there some setting I could use to fix this?
Mick

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:22:56 +0100, Mick wrote:

> In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
> positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of
> the real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in
> the right monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.

In The monitors section of system settings, there should be a multiple
monitors section. I think, I'm on my single-screen netbook now, that I
have all the boxes ticked, and it works as you want.

However, occasionally, after an upgrade, it reverts to how you describe.
The "solution" is to unset and reset some of those options and restart
KDE, then it remembers how it should behave again.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 22: Childproof

Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:22 on Tuesday 17 May 2011, Mick did opine
thusly:

> It seems that some setting changed from the 4.5 to 4.6 because now the
> boundaries between the two monitors are no longer respected. Let me try to
> explain:
>
> In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
> positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of the
> real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in the right
> monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.
>
> Also in KDE4.5 moving an application window near the ends of a monitor
> would snap to the edge even if this was the vertical edge between the two
> monitors.
>
> In KDE4.6 application windows maximise across both screens and there's no
> snapping into the edge at the middle.
>
> Finally, I can no longer set different wallpapers for the two monitors.
>
> Is there some setting I could use to fix this?

This might help narrow the source of the problem down.

This doesn't affect my nVidia card [GeForce 8600M GT] on any version between
4.3 and latest 4.6 in the tree, so I suspect your drivers.

Snap to the edge between two monitors works here.
An unmaximized window always maximizes to fill the monitor it is on.
An unmaximized window that is partly on one monitor and partly on the other
does a neat trick when maximized - it fills the monitor that held the bigger
fraction of the window.

All this neat goodness works on both nVidia driver and nouveau, straight out
the box, no fiddling required

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 17.05.2011 22:22, schrieb Mick:
> It seems that some setting changed from the 4.5 to 4.6 because now the
> boundaries between the two monitors are no longer respected. Let me try to
> explain:
>
> In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
> positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of the
> real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in the right
> monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.
>
> Also in KDE4.5 moving an application window near the ends of a monitor would
> snap to the edge even if this was the vertical edge between the two monitors.
>
> In KDE4.6 application windows maximise across both screens and there's no
> snapping into the edge at the middle.
>
> Finally, I can no longer set different wallpapers for the two monitors.
>
> Is there some setting I could use to fix this?

I had the same problem. You have to enable the xinerama use flag, even
if you do not intend to configure xinerama.

euse -E xinerama && emerge -av --reinstall changed-use world

will do the job.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 17 May 2011 22:09:41 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:22:56 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
> > positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of
> > the real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in
> > the right monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.
>
> In The monitors section of system settings, there should be a multiple
> monitors section. I think, I'm on my single-screen netbook now, that I
> have all the boxes ticked, and it works as you want.
>
> However, occasionally, after an upgrade, it reverts to how you describe.
> The "solution" is to unset and reset some of those options and restart
> KDE, then it remembers how it should behave again.

Thanks Neil, there's the 'Display and Monitor' section in SystemSettings.
I've changed things around, changed their position from 'absolute' to 'right
of' and back again, changed the refresh rate to auto and finally changed the
Primary Output to DVI. Logged out/in and it is still the same xinerama like
behaviour. One big single virtual screen, rather than two screens in two
monitors as it was until 4.6 came along.

I knew from the start KDE4.6 was installed something was amiss because the
toolbar at the bottom of the screen was extended across both monitors (it used
to be on the RH side only) and on the left hand monitor it was not visible (it
was below the bottom edge of the screen).

This is really annoying and hinders productivity ... :-(
Mick

Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 17 May 2011 23:35:30 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 17.05.2011 22:22, schrieb Mick:
> > It seems that some setting changed from the 4.5 to 4.6 because now the
> > boundaries between the two monitors are no longer respected. Let me try
> > to explain:
> >
> > In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was
> > positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of
> > the real estate in the left monitor only. If the application was in the
> > right monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.
> >
> > Also in KDE4.5 moving an application window near the ends of a monitor
> > would snap to the edge even if this was the vertical edge between the
> > two monitors.
> >
> > In KDE4.6 application windows maximise across both screens and there's no
> > snapping into the edge at the middle.
> >
> > Finally, I can no longer set different wallpapers for the two monitors.
> >
> > Is there some setting I could use to fix this?
>
> I had the same problem. You have to enable the xinerama use flag, even
> if you do not intend to configure xinerama.
>
> euse -E xinerama && emerge -av --reinstall changed-use world
>
> will do the job.

Have they changed the use of this flag in KDE4.6? I don't having it set
before ...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out tomorrow, because it's getting late
now.

Mick

Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Leonardo Guilherme

2011/5/17 Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>

Am 17.05.2011 22:22, schrieb Mick:

> It seems that some setting changed from the 4.5 to 4.6 because now the

> boundaries between the two monitors are no longer respected. �Let me try to

> explain:

> In KDE4.5 if I were to maximise a window of an application while it was

> positioned say in the left monitor, it would maximise to occupy all of the

> real estate in the left monitor only. �If the application was in the right

> monitor, it would maximise to occupy only the right monitor.

> Also in KDE4.5 moving an application window near the ends of a monitor would

> snap to the edge even if this was the vertical edge between the two monitors.

> In KDE4.6 application windows maximise across both screens and there's no

> snapping into the edge at the middle.

> Finally, I can no longer set different wallpapers for the two monitors.

> Is there some setting I could use to fix this?

I had the same problem. You have to enable the xinerama use flag, even

if you do not intend to configure xinerama.

euse -E xinerama && emerge -av --reinstall changed-use world

will do the job.

Hope this helps,

Florian Philipp

I had the very same problem and I can confirm that using the xinerama flag fixes it.
I'm using fglrx drivers, also I have defined two "Screens" in my xorg.conf.d, I don't know if it has something to do with it (tried multiple solutions and when things got working i just left it untouched).

Leonardo

Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Bill Longman

I don't know if this is considered hijacking this thread or not but I have a similar issue getting my kde to remember its screen layout. Two screens with different resolutions and kde just will NOT remember what I tell it to do.

Is there some secret X mojo I have to do to the X configuration files to augment what kde knows about the display geometry? What's more annoying is that I have other machines that have no problem. What's the general consensus for configuring multiple heads? Just go with xorg.conf? Add Monitor sections in xorg.conf.d?

--

Bill Longman

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 05:50 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Bill Longman
did opine thusly:

> I don't know if this is considered hijacking this thread or not but I have
> a similar issue getting my kde to remember its screen layout. Two screens
> with different resolutions and kde just will NOT remember what I tell it
> to do.
>
> Is there some secret X mojo I have to do to the X configuration files

Yes. Delete them.

> augment what kde knows about the display geometry? What's more annoying is
> that I have other machines that have no problem. What's the general
> consensus for configuring multiple heads? Just go with xorg.conf? Add
> Monitor sections in xorg.conf.d?

Do you have an xorg.conf?

I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn around
and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Bill Longman

On 05/18/2011 11:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Do you have an xorg.conf?
>
> I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn around
> and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.

When I have NO xorg.conf file, KDE starts in clone mode. The 1280x1024
LCD wins and the 1680x1050 gets that same resolution. Or worse still,
the widescreen is disabled.

I've gone into krandrtray and Systems Settings and, in 4.6 now, can save
it as the default. It never does, or, if it really is saving defaults,
it is ignored upon next KDE restart.