Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Mick

Default KDE4.6 with two monitors does not respect boundaries/edges between them

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 19:53:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 05:50 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Bill
> Longman
>
> did opine thusly:
> > I don't know if this is considered hijacking this thread or not but I
> > have a similar issue getting my kde to remember its screen layout. Two
> > screens with different resolutions and kde just will NOT remember what I
> > tell it to do.
> >
> > Is there some secret X mojo I have to do to the X configuration files
>
> Yes. Delete them.

> > augment what kde knows about the display geometry? What's more annoying
> > is that I have other machines that have no problem. What's the general
> > consensus for configuring multiple heads? Just go with xorg.conf? Add
> > Monitor sections in xorg.conf.d?
>
> Do you have an xorg.conf?
>
> I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn
> around and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.

Thank you all for your help, Florian's suggestion and Leonardo's confirmation
is what worked for me too. Everything is as it was before KDE4.6, except for
one thing, the kdm login box shows up on the left hand monitor, and the KDE
splash comes up on the right hand monitor after entering the passwd.
Previously it was in the middle of the whole virtual desktop and stayed there
throughout the KDE startup process. This is more of an observation, rather
than a complaint. It seems that the two monitors are separate under KDM and
the KDM wallpaper is cloned, but the login box is not. In KDE-4.5.5, during
KDM the two monitors behaved as one (xinerama style) and then they split into
separate screens after KDE started up.
Mick

Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:48 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Bill Longman
did opine thusly:

> On 05/18/2011 11:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Do you have an xorg.conf?
> >
> > I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn
> > around and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.
>
> When I have NO xorg.conf file, KDE starts in clone mode. The 1280x1024
> LCD wins and the 1680x1050 gets that same resolution. Or worse still,
> the widescreen is disabled.
>
> I've gone into krandrtray and Systems Settings and, in 4.6 now, can save
> it as the default. It never does, or, if it really is saving defaults,
> it is ignored upon next KDE restart.

I have a 1920x1200 internal LCD and two different Samsungs (home & work), both
1920x1080. I do not have the issues you experience - everything works as it
should and has done so for many versions now, with both nvidia and nouveau
drivers.

This would be a good time to post actual configs.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 21:24:17 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 21:48 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Bill
> Longman
>
> did opine thusly:
> > On 05/18/2011 11:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > Do you have an xorg.conf?
> > >
> > > I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn
> > > around and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.
> >
> > When I have NO xorg.conf file, KDE starts in clone mode. The 1280x1024
> > LCD wins and the 1680x1050 gets that same resolution. Or worse still,
> > the widescreen is disabled.
> >
> > I've gone into krandrtray and Systems Settings and, in 4.6 now, can save
> > it as the default. It never does, or, if it really is saving defaults,
> > it is ignored upon next KDE restart.
>
> I have a 1920x1200 internal LCD and two different Samsungs (home & work),
> both 1920x1080. I do not have the issues you experience - everything works
> as it should and has done so for many versions now, with both nvidia and
> nouveau drivers.
>
> This would be a good time to post actual configs.

... and following my recent experience start with:

euse -i xinerama

BTW, I do have an xorg file in which among other things I have defined two
monitors:

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 360 290 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "NEC"
ModelName "NEC LCD1860NX"
HorizSync 31.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 55.0 - 85.0
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 510 290 # mm
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "DEL"
ModelName "DELL ST2320L"
HorizSync 56.0 - 76.0
VertRefresh 30.0 - 83.0
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "RightOf" "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

and under Section "Device" I have:

Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "monitor-VGA-0" "Monitor0"
Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Monitor1"

but these are historical. I have not tried removing them to see what happens.
Mick