Old 02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
"Marzan, Richard non Unisys"

Default Nvidia-drivers failing to install because kernel tree not found

I recently read an article at planet.gentoo.org about a 2 serious bugs
in the kernel that could lead to someone crashing or rooting a system
with linux kernels prior to gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r2. So being the
paranoid one that I am, I unmasked this ebuild and installed it. I
performed a `make oldconfig` and everything went well. I expected
Alsa-drivers and nvidia-drivers to be broken after the upgrade of the
kernel version. I symbolically linked "linux" to the new 2.6.24-r2
kernel source tree. Then, I proceed to re-emerge nvidia-drivers and it
states that it, for some odd reason, it cannot find the kernel source.
Moreover, it cannot even ascertain which system my kernel is built for
i686, Kryptonite 8 or K8 (Athlon). I tried changing versions of the
nvidia-drivers just incase the current stable one was not compatible
with the latest gentoo-sources package and the problem remained the
same. I wonder what's happening...Is there something that I could have
missed?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 11 February 2008, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
> I recently read an article at planet.gentoo.org about a 2 serious
> bugs in the kernel that could lead to someone crashing or rooting a
> system with linux kernels prior to gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r2. So being
> the paranoid one that I am, I unmasked this ebuild and installed it.
> I performed a `make oldconfig` and everything went well. I expected
> Alsa-drivers and nvidia-drivers to be broken after the upgrade of the
> kernel version. I symbolically linked "linux" to the new 2.6.24-r2
> kernel source tree. Then, I proceed to re-emerge nvidia-drivers and
> it states that it, for some odd reason, it cannot find the kernel
> source. Moreover, it cannot even ascertain which system my kernel is
> built for i686, Kryptonite 8 or K8 (Athlon). I tried changing
> versions of the nvidia-drivers just incase the current stable one was
> not compatible with the latest gentoo-sources package and the problem
> remained the same. I wonder what's happening...Is there something
> that I could have missed?

You forgot to reboot to run the new kernel

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
"Marzan, Richard non Unisys"

Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 11 February 2008, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
> I wonder what's happening...Is there something
>
> > > that I could have missed?
> >
> > You forgot to reboot to run the new kernel
> >

> *I did reboot...more than once. Made sure uname -a corresponded to
> the kernel in /boot/ and to the symlink in /usr/src/

In that case you seem to have done everything you should have done.

Do the alsa drivers build correctly? If so, it would seem you have
tripped over a bug and should report it at b.g.o.

Can't for the life of me think how such a bug would happen though, but
still, should be reported :-)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:32:04 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> You forgot to reboot to run the new kernel

That shouldn't be necessary. You can install and compile a new kernel
then re-emerge nvidia-drivers before rebooting. The drivers are built for
the kernel linked from /usr/src/linux, not the running one.

--
Neil Bothwick

Memory Map - A sheet of paper showing location of computer store.