-   -   Gentoo and a Mobile Phone (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/526870-gentoo-mobile-phone.html)

05-16-2011 01:39 PM

Gentoo and a Mobile Phone

I have an Optimus*V 3G mobile phone.* When I connect it to my Gentoo*box with the usb*cable, and turn on usb*storage, I get the following message in a pop-up*box.

Unable to mount 2.0 GB*Filesystem
Not Authorized

Should I make the device rwx*for all, make a udev*rule, or do something else?* The problem is depending on what's plugged*in, it may not always be /dev/sdb*.* Also, what applications are out there that can interact with the device?* One of the first things I'd like to do is backup and edit my contacts on the Gentoo*box and sync*it to the phone.

Thanks,

dhk

Paul Hartman 05-16-2011 03:59 PM

Gentoo and a Mobile Phone

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM, <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:
> I have an Optimus*V 3G mobile phone.* When I connect it to my Gentoo*box
> with the usb*cable, and turn on usb*storage, I get the following message in
> a pop-up*box.
>
> Unable to mount 2.0 GB*Filesystem
> Not Authorized
>
> Should I make the device rwx*for all, make a udev*rule, or do something
> else?* The problem is depending on what's plugged*in, it may not always be
> /dev/sdb*.* Also, what applications are out there that can interact with the
> device?* One of the first things I'd like to do is backup and edit my
> contacts on the Gentoo*box and sync*it to the phone.

udev rule is definitely the way to go. You can identify it by
manufacturer/model/serial/whatever, and give it a persistent device
name and permissions of your liking. I had mine as /dev/nokia for
example.

Florian Philipp 05-16-2011 05:12 PM

Gentoo and a Mobile Phone

Am 16.05.2011 15:39, schrieb dhkuhl@optonline.net:
> I have an Optimus V 3G mobile phone. When I connect it to my Gentoo box
> with the usb cable, and turn on usb storage, I get the following message
> in a pop-up box.
>
> Unable to mount 2.0 GB Filesystem
> Not Authorized
>
> Should I make the device rwx for all, make a udev rule, or do something
> else? The problem is depending on what's plugged in, it may not always
> be /dev/sdb . Also, what applications are out there that can interact
> with the device? One of the first things I'd like to do is backup and
> edit my contacts on the Gentoo box and sync it to the phone.
>
> Thanks,
>
> dhk

What permissions are currently set? Maybe you just need to add your user
to another group (plugdev?).

I guess normal USB sticks work?

Otherwise, udev is the way to go.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

dhk 05-17-2011 10:11 AM

Gentoo and a Mobile Phone

On 05/17/2011 06:10 AM, Dave Kuhl wrote:
> I had mail forwarding turned on, so my replies to gentoo-user were getting
> kicked. Hopefully adding myself and then replying will keep this the same
> thread.

When I plug the phone in the follow shows up.
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 May 16 17:02 /dev/sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 May 16 17:02 /dev/sdb1

I have to mount other usb sticks manually, although I wouldn't mind if
it was automatic.

Are there apps to interface with the phone? Right now I'd like to get
pictures and contacts off it.

Thanks,

dhk