-   -   Double mount entry? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/526856-double-mount-entry.html)

Pandu Poluan 05-16-2011 11:45 AM

Double mount entry?

Hmmm... just installed a new system... and when I type `mount`, I get this:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=7 55)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

What's rootfs? And what's rc-svcdir? Where do they come from?

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

Dale 05-16-2011 01:23 PM

Double mount entry?

Pandu Poluan wrote:

[...]

You are not alone. I have the same here:

root@fireball / # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=7 55)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /var type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
/dev/sda6 on /usr/portage type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
/dev/sda7 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/sdc1 on /data type reiserfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

root@fireball / #

I think I read a while back this is a openrc thing. It's just the new
way of doing things. No idea why but might be something we can't change.

Dale

:-) :-)

Alan McKinnon 05-16-2011 02:49 PM

Double mount entry?

Apparently, though unproven, at 13:45 on Monday 16 May 2011, Pandu Poluan did
opine thusly:

> Hmmm... just installed a new system... and when I type `mount`, I get this:
>
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
> rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=7 55)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
> shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> What's rootfs? And what's rc-svcdir? Where do they come from?

openrc stuff. Your output is correct. Don't worry about it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Paul Hartman 05-16-2011 03:37 PM

Double mount entry?

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> What's rootfs?

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt

[snip]
What is rootfs?
---------------

Rootfs is a special instance of ramfs (or tmpfs, if that's enabled), which is
always present in 2.6 systems. You can't unmount rootfs for approximately the
same reason you can't kill the init process; rather than having special code
to check for and handle an empty list, it's smaller and simpler for the kernel
to just make sure certain lists can't become empty.

Most systems just mount another filesystem over rootfs and ignore it. The
amount of space an empty instance of ramfs takes up is tiny.
[/snip]

Pandu Poluan 05-18-2011 04:26 AM

Double mount entry?

-- 8< -- lots of snippage -- >8 --

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I had thought my system had gone mad. Apparently not. :-)

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~