Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Alan Mackenzie

Default Can't get help in Gnome - Silly error message

Hi, Gentoo.

Would somebody please help me.

In every program in Gnome, there is a help menu. When I click on any of
them, I get the wierd error message:

Couldn't display help
The specified location is not supported

Does this just mean "couldn't find file" or does it have some deeper
meaning? More to the point, what do I have to do to fix this problem?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
walt

On 05/16/2011 02:54 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> Would somebody please help me.
>
> In every program in Gnome, there is a help menu. When I click on any of
> them, I get the wierd error message:
>
> Couldn't display help
> The specified location is not supported
>
> Does this just mean "couldn't find file" or does it have some deeper
> meaning? More to the point, what do I have to do to fix this problem?

What happens when you run yelp from a command prompt? I'm having gnome
help problems too, but a different problem. Yelp just prints "can't
initialize gecko" and quits. Seems to be a problem with xulrunner and
I'm trying to track it down now.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Hi, Walt.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:07:38AM -0700, walt wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 02:54 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, Gentoo.

> > Would somebody please help me.

> > In every program in Gnome, there is a help menu. When I click on any of
> > them, I get the wierd error message:

> > Couldn't display help
> > The specified location is not supported

> > Does this just mean "couldn't find file" or does it have some deeper
> > meaning? More to the point, what do I have to do to fix this problem?

> What happens when you run yelp from a command prompt?

Yelp appears to start OK. In the tty appear 8 error messages like:

(yelp:2967): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tool_button_new: assertion
`icon_widget == NULL || GTK_IS_MISC (icon_widget)' failed

After a bit more clicking, to try to get to an Info page, yelp crashes
(and exits) with:

Yelp:ERROR:yelp-document.c:275:yelp_document_cancel_page: assertion
failed: (document != NULL && YELP_IS_DOCUMENT (document))