Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Felix Miata

Default chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (Fixed!)

On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
"kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?

I got this to work too:

# grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
grub> root (hd0,6)
grub> setup (hd0,6)
grub> quit
#

Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't
actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be
there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use
of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 15 May 2011 22:54:14 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it
> didn't actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up.

Emerging GRUB installs it, that's all. The post installation message
would have told you to set i up, but it's up to you to do the work.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm not closed minded, you're just wrong.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-05-15 10:54 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it
> didn't actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it
> could be there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from
> a previous use of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

Felix - you need to start reading the post-install messages when
emerging things.

With Gentoo, a lot of times, you have to actually do things manually
after installing something - as you found with GRUB.

Most people set things up so they get emails of the post install
messages when emerging things, but it is up to you to actually read them
and, when necessary, follow the instructions.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM
"JDM"

That's a clever trick. How do you get emails from emerge?
JDM

Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:43:05 +0000, JDM wrote:

> That's a clever trick. How do you get emails from emerge?

Read the settings for PORTAGE_ELOG in man make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 001: Windows loaded - System in danger

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Stroller

On 16/5/2011, at 1:43pm, JDM wrote:
>> Most people set things up so they get emails of the post install
>> messages when emerging things, but it is up to you to actually read them
>> and, when necessary, follow the instructions.
> That's a clever trick. How do you get emails from emerge?

$ grep -i mail /etc/make.conf
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
$

(I follow the guiding principal that root and postmaster should always be correctly aliased, and that mail to them should be delivered correctly to another named user, my own).

Stroller.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Indi

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 03:10:03PM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:43:05 +0000, JDM wrote:
>
> > That's a clever trick. How do you get emails from emerge?
>
> Read the settings for PORTAGE_ELOG in man make.conf.

Or as that man page says,
"Please see /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
for elog documentation."

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Indi

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 05:00:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:
>
> > I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
> > another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
> > gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
> > "kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
> > the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
> > name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
> > uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?

I always just copy the bzImage to (for example)
/boot/vmlinux-2.6.38-gentoo-r5, but the name doesn't really matter as
long as it matches your bootloader entry.

> Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't
> actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be
> there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use
> of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

The install docs are fairly clear that installing the grub pkg is only
the first step of setting up the bootloader.

It seems to me (though I could certainly be wrong) that your best bet
really is to perform a "vanilla install" first, as much as your hardware
allows. Just to get to know the system before attempting to customize it.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Felix Miata

On 2011/05/16 11:26 (GMT-0400) Indi composed:

On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

> I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
> another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
> gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
> "kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
> the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
> name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
> uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?

I always just copy the bzImage to (for example)
/boot/vmlinux-2.6.38-gentoo-r5, but the name doesn't really matter as
long as it matches your bootloader entry.

I spent more time thinking about what happened, and decided the Grub message
had to be coming from the master Grub trying to chainload the non-existent
Gentoo Grub, and finding old data from a partition previously using that
space, rather than something recognizable as boot code.

Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't
actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be
there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use
of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

The install docs are fairly clear that installing the grub pkg is only
the first step of setting up the bootloader.

At that point I was seriously burned out on reading and rereading docs on
install attempt #8 on my 5th day trying. I was so joyful seeing pretty colors
and no error messages that I couldn't think logically. ;-)

It seems to me (though I could certainly be wrong) that your best bet
really is to perform a "vanilla install" first, as much as your hardware
allows. Just to get to know the system before attempting to customize it.

Actually after the first or 2nd or some subsequent attempt that was my plan.
After so much time passed (days, not just hours) and I had good kernel, NFS,
and MC that I didn't see much point delaying KDE. After the errors
disappeared around 10 last night and I reported same here I started to wonder
where to go next on a tired brain. I set qt3support emerging around that
time, and more than 3 hours later and time for bed its hundred & some
packages were still emerging. I woke up hours later to goto the bathroom and
found that done, so set kdm to install. That hundred plus set of packages is
still emerging now, nearly 6 hours later. Maybe 32 bit 1667MHz & 512M RAM is
on the skimpy side for installing Gentoo?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Indi

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:10:02PM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:

> Actually after the first or 2nd or some subsequent attempt that was my plan.
> After so much time passed (days, not just hours) and I had good kernel, NFS,
> and MC that I didn't see much point delaying KDE. After the errors
> disappeared around 10 last night and I reported same here I started to wonder
> where to go next on a tired brain. I set qt3support emerging around that
> time, and more than 3 hours later and time for bed its hundred & some
> packages were still emerging. I woke up hours later to goto the bathroom and
> found that done, so set kdm to install. That hundred plus set of packages is
> still emerging now, nearly 6 hours later. Maybe 32 bit 1667MHz & 512M RAM is
> on the skimpy side for installing Gentoo?

Not to mention there is pretty much no way you'll be using kde on that
hardware! I'd be surprised if X would be usable on that even with blackbox
wm...

--
caveat utilitor