Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Indi

Default chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (Fixed!)

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:18:49PM -0400, Indi wrote:
> > On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:10:02PM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually after the first or 2nd or some subsequent attempt that was my plan.
> > > After so much time passed (days, not just hours) and I had good kernel, NFS,
> > > and MC that I didn't see much point delaying KDE. After the errors
> > > disappeared around 10 last night and I reported same here I started to wonder
> > > where to go next on a tired brain. I set qt3support emerging around that
> > > time, and more than 3 hours later and time for bed its hundred & some
> > > packages were still emerging. I woke up hours later to goto the bathroom and
> > > found that done, so set kdm to install. That hundred plus set of packages is
> > > still emerging now, nearly 6 hours later. Maybe 32 bit 1667MHz & 512M RAM is
> > > on the skimpy side for installing Gentoo?
> > >

> > Not to mention there is pretty much no way you'll be using kde on that
> > hardware! I'd be surprised if X would be usable on that even with blackbox
> > wm...

Oh jeesh, my bad -- I saw "167 MHz", but it's "1667 MHz".
Sorry! :/ (My eyesight is not good)
Yes, you shoud be able to run whatever DE/WM.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:18 on Monday 16 May 2011, Indi did opine
thusly:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:10:02PM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Actually after the first or 2nd or some subsequent attempt that was my
> > plan. After so much time passed (days, not just hours) and I had good
> > kernel, NFS, and MC that I didn't see much point delaying KDE. After the
> > errors disappeared around 10 last night and I reported same here I
> > started to wonder where to go next on a tired brain. I set qt3support
> > emerging around that time, and more than 3 hours later and time for bed
> > its hundred & some packages were still emerging. I woke up hours later
> > to goto the bathroom and found that done, so set kdm to install. That
> > hundred plus set of packages is still emerging now, nearly 6 hours
> > later. Maybe 32 bit 1667MHz & 512M RAM is on the skimpy side for
> > installing Gentoo?
>
> Not to mention there is pretty much no way you'll be using kde on that
> hardware! I'd be surprised if X would be usable on that even with blackbox
> wm...

This is a joke right?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:57:14 -0400, Indi wrote:

> > Read the settings for PORTAGE_ELOG in man make.conf.

> Or as that man page says,
> "Please see /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
> for elog documentation."

I know that's what the man page currently says, but I expect it will be
updated to include the actual information long before this thread is
deleted from all mail archives, so it seemed prudent to point to the man
page and let the user follow the link

--
Neil Bothwick

A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
"JDM"

Thnx, have followed advice. I am impressed.
JDM

Old 05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

I once ran Gentoo Linux with KDE3 on a 133Mhz machine with 256Mbs of
ram. It wasn't fast but it did OK. A friend used it to play cards on.
No internet or anything tho.

I did the compiling via chroot on my old rig which had a much faster CPU
and such. I just plugged the drive into my rig and did my thing.

It may be slow but it should work. Make sure you have some swap tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:15 on Monday 16 May 2011, Dale did opine
thusly:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:18 on Monday 16 May 2011, Indi did
> > opine
> >
> > thusly:
> >>
> >> Not to mention there is pretty much no way you'll be using kde on that
> >> hardware! I'd be surprised if X would be usable on that even with
> >> blackbox wm...
> >
> > This is a joke right?
>
> I once ran Gentoo Linux with KDE3 on a 133Mhz machine with 256Mbs of
> ram. It wasn't fast but it did OK. A friend used it to play cards on.
> No internet or anything tho.
>
> I did the compiling via chroot on my old rig which had a much faster CPU
> and such. I just plugged the drive into my rig and did my thing.
>
> It may be slow but it should work. Make sure you have some swap tho.

I pondered for a long time how to reply to Indi.

I had many posts typed out, most of them rude, all of them classic Alan, but
something held me back. Lucky it went that way, he later posted he read
1667MHZ as 167MHz.

Amazing what a difference a "1" can make :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Indi

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:10:02PM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:57:14 -0400, Indi wrote:
>
> > > Read the settings for PORTAGE_ELOG in man make.conf.
>
> > Or as that man page says,
> > "Please see /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
> > for elog documentation."
>
> I know that's what the man page currently says, but I expect it will be
> updated to include the actual information long before this thread is
> deleted from all mail archives, so it seemed prudent to point to the man
> page and let the user follow the link

Quite right, thanks.

--
caveat utilitor