-   -   KDE4.6 runaway process after wake up (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/526587-kde4-6-runaway-process-after-wake-up.html)

Alan McKinnon 05-15-2011 07:50 PM

KDE4.6 runaway process after wake up

Apparently, though unproven, at 20:43 on Sunday 15 May 2011, Mick did opine
thusly:

> > I don't recall having this issue with KDE3 so maybe it is something they
> > are working on. I did notice the other day that I had only a couple
> > after the openrc upgrade. I don't know if one has anything to do with
> > the other tho. I also did some KDE updates as well.
>
> Sorry I should have been clearer:
>
> I woke up the machine and noticed the fan was racing. Top showed these
> two being the culprits. I logged out of X and back on a console they
> were still running wild. I had to kill them manually to calm things down.
>
> When out of X in the console I seem to recall all other KDE processes had
> terminated.

FWIW, I have the same thing occasionally, also on wake-up after suspend to
RAM. In my case, something in the kdepim/akonadi/nepomuk/virtuoso stack seems
to be the underlying culprit - one of those apps is hogging cpu time and
kdeinit4/knotify are the ones that block the most hence they show up in top.

I tried various things involving re-merging stuffs, none of which helped. Then
I figured maybe the mail indexer really wanted to do something valid, so I let
it be and let it do whatever it wanted overnight. Since then the runaway
process problem hasn't happened again. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.

Maybe you could try the same?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Yohan Pereira 05-17-2011 08:17 AM

KDE4.6 runaway process after wake up

i generally kill knotify and kded when they misbehave and haven't encountered any noticeable problems after doing so. I hate it when i forget to check for these two before starting an overnight portage update.

also heres a blog post related to the kded problem i seen on planet kde recently.

http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/troubleshooting-kded4-bugs/

--

- Yohan Pereira

"A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer

Mick 05-17-2011 08:37 PM

On Tuesday 17 May 2011 09:17:45 Yohan Pereira wrote:
> i generally kill knotify and kded when they misbehave and haven't
> encountered any noticeable problems after doing so.

Yes, same here. Once I kill them, no problem thereafter.

They don't seem to me to be related to some process running purposufely doing
something useful (or even intentional). With both pegged at 100% CPU they
seem more like they've gone into a loop/race condition.

So I'm not sure that letting them run for any length of time will achieve
anything - but will give them 5-10 minutes next time to see if they go away on
their own.

Another thing I noticed on a different box (x86) is that if more than say 20%
or memory is being used and I select the machine to go to sleep (to RAM) it
crashes. The disk spins down immediately, the monitor and input devices go to
sleep, but the CPU and fans continue to run. The box will not respond to
anything other than pulling the plug.

I am not sure if there is something incompatible with the memory
modules/controllers (I doubt it because this was a really rare event with
KDE4.5) but now with KDE4.6 it happens every time. Any ideas what this might
be attributed to?
Mick