-   -   leafnode and xinetd? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/526471-leafnode-xinetd.html)

Indi 05-15-2011 02:29 PM

leafnode and xinetd?

Anyone here have leafnode running successfully?
I seem to be stuck, and for some reason google appears to be stuck as
well on this one. Apparently users who want leafnode are about as rare
as hen's teeth...

Output of xinetd -d follows:

idd@gh:[~]$ xinetd -d
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/chargen-dgram [file=/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=49]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/chargen-stream [file=/etc/xinetd.d/chargen-stream] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/daytime-dgram [file=/etc/xinetd.d/daytime-dgram] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/daytime-stream [file=/etc/xinetd.d/daytime-stream] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/discard-dgram [file=/etc/xinetd.d/discard-dgram] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/discard-stream [file=/etc/xinetd.d/discard-stream] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/echo-dgram [file=/etc/xinetd.d/echo-dgram] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/echo-stream [file=/etc/xinetd.d/echo-stream] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/ftp-sensor [file=/etc/xinetd.d/ftp-sensor] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/leafnode-nntp [file=/etc/xinetd.d/leafnode-nntp] [line=70]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/rsyncd [file=/etc/xinetd.d/rsyncd] [line=13]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/svnserve [file=/etc/xinetd.d/svnserve] [line=10]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/tcpmux-server [file=/etc/xinetd.d/tcpmux-server] [line=14]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/time-dgram [file=/etc/xinetd.d/time-dgram] [line=68]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/time-stream [file=/etc/xinetd.d/time-stream] [line=67]
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing chargen
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing chargen
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing daytime
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing daytime
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing discard
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing discard
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing echo
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing echo
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing ftp
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing rsync
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing svn
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing tcpmux
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing time
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {remove_disabled_services} removing time
Service defaults
Instances = 50
Groups = yes
umask = 2
CPS = max conn:50 wait:10
PER_SOURCE = 10
Bind = All addresses.
Only from: localhost(HOST)
No access: No blocked sites
Logging to syslog. Facility = daemon, level = info
Log_on_success flags = HOST DURATION EXIT PID
Log_on_failure flags = HOST

Service configuration: nntp
id = nntp
flags = IPv4
socket_type = stream
Protocol (name,number) = (tcp,6)
port = 119
wait = no
user = 9
Groups = yes
umask = 2
PER_SOURCE = 10
Bind = All addresses.
Server = /usr/sbin/leafnode
Server argv = leafnode

11/5/15@10:24:49: ERROR: 3486 {activate_normal} bind failed (Permission denied (errno = 13)). service = nntp
11/5/15@10:24:49: ERROR: 3486 {cnf_start_services} Service nntp failed to start and is deactivated.
11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {cnf_start_services} mask_max = 0, services_started = 0
11/5/15@10:24:49: CRITICAL: 3486 {init_services} no services. Exiting...

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Adam Carter 05-16-2011 12:48 AM

leafnode and xinetd?

Anyone here have leafnode running successfully?

I seem to be stuck, and for some reason google appears to be stuck as

well on this one. Apparently users who want leafnode are about as rare

as hen's teeth...*<snip>

11/5/15@10:24:49: ERROR: 3486 {activate_normal} bind failed (Permission denied (errno = 13)). service = nntp

11/5/15@10:24:49: ERROR: 3486 {cnf_start_services} Service nntp failed to start and is deactivated.

11/5/15@10:24:49: DEBUG: 3486 {cnf_start_services} mask_max = 0, services_started = 0

11/5/15@10:24:49: CRITICAL: 3486 {init_services} no services. Exiting...

Have you checked there's nothing listening on the port already with netstat? Are you starting as root?

As a dumb test you could just try "nc -l -p 119" if you have netcat, or just "/usr/sbin/sshd -p 119" to see if they can open the port. AFAIK SELinux will need a config tweak to allow the port open if you're using that.

James Cloos 05-17-2011 09:09 PM

leafnode and xinetd?

Leafnode works fine here.

I> Output of xinetd -d

Looks fine.

In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
/usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?

Have you run fetchnews at least once?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Indi 05-18-2011 09:01 AM

leafnode and xinetd?

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:20:01PM +0200, James Cloos wrote:

> Leafnode works fine here.
>
> I> Output of xinetd -d
>
> Looks fine.
>
> In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
> /usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?
>
> Have you run fetchnews at least once?

Thanks, James. The fetchnews part is the only bit that works.
I got xinetd running (not sure why it kept crashing, but an update
appears to have fixed that), but never was able to use leafnode, as
it refuses to allow connections at all of any kind.
Did everything by the book, including the news account and all that but
just no joy. Firewall lives on a separate machine, so it wasn't that.
Tried everything including removing nearly all security just to see if
it could work, but nothing. I can connect to various ports for other
purposes (mpd, sshd are fine) but leafnode will not accept connections
no matter what I do. So unless there's a suggestion I haven't already
tried (doubtful, I tend to be thorough as only the obssessive can be)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "it doesn't work on this system".

Since there might be all of four gentoo users actually running leafnode,
it isn't surprising if it doesn't work on every configuration.
:)

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Indi 05-18-2011 11:33 AM

leafnode and xinetd?

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:10:02AM +0200, Indi wrote:

> > Leafnode works fine here.
> >
> > I> Output of xinetd -d
> >
> > Looks fine.
> >
> > In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
> > /usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?
> >
> > Have you run fetchnews at least once?
> >

> Tried everything including removing nearly all security just to see if
> it could work, but nothing. I can connect to various ports for other
> purposes (mpd, sshd are fine) but leafnode will not accept connections
> no matter what I do. So unless there's a suggestion I haven't already
> tried (doubtful, I tend to be thorough as only the obssessive can be)
> I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "it doesn't work on this system".
>
> Since there might be all of four gentoo users actually running leafnode,
> it isn't surprising if it doesn't work on every configuration.

Solved, and apparently it was a PEBKAC error.
Deleted all related configs and recreated them from scratch and now it
works. My eyesight is quite poor, odds are there was a type-oh in one
of the configs fouling it up.

Sorry for the noise!

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Paul Colquhoun 05-19-2011 07:36 AM

leafnode and xinetd?

On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:33:58 Indi wrote:
> > > Leafnode works fine here.

> > > Looks fine.
> > >
> > > In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
> > > /usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?
> > >
> > > Have you run fetchnews at least once?
> >
> > Tried everything including removing nearly all security just to see if
> > it could work, but nothing. I can connect to various ports for other
> > purposes (mpd, sshd are fine) but leafnode will not accept connections
> > no matter what I do. So unless there's a suggestion I haven't already
> > tried (doubtful, I tend to be thorough as only the obssessive can be)
> > I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "it doesn't work on this system".
> >
> > Since there might be all of four gentoo users actually running leafnode,
> > it isn't surprising if it doesn't work on every configuration.
>
> Solved, and apparently it was a PEBKAC error.
> Deleted all related configs and recreated them from scratch and now it
> works. My eyesight is quite poor, odds are there was a type-oh in one
> of the configs fouling it up.
>
> Sorry for the noise!

Good to see you fixed the problem. Just in case you want to upgrade to the
latest version, I have attached a tar file of my ebuild for leafnode
2.0.0_alpha20090908 which I have been running for some time with no problems
on an ~amd64 system.

Just un-tar it under /usr/local/portage/net-nntp (or wherever you have your
local portage tree).

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.