Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Adam Carter

Default dd says no space left on device

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

On 16/5/2011, at 12:56pm, Adam Carter wrote:

> Yes the new drive is bigger, going from 66G to 500G. Single partition only, ...

> So how do i proceed? Is it;

> 1. dd the mbr without partition table, to get the boot code (so bs=446 count=1)

> 2. use fdisk to set one big primary partition, mark it bootable and NTFS (type 7)

> 3. dd into what will be /dev/sdb1

Just `dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb` if you can.

Done - and its worked.

Here's what i did;
1. Take existing drive out of laptop and connect to Gentoo box using an esata box, then

sphinx ~ # dd if=/dev/sdb bs=10M conv=notrunc,noerror | gzip > windisk.gz
5723+1 records in
5723+1 records out
60011642880 bytes (60 GB) copied, 5667.78 s, 10.6 MB/s

For interests sake, windows reports that 51gig is in use, which along with the free space has compressed down to

sphinx ~ # ls -lh win*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37G May 17 12:29 windisk.gz

2. Swap existing disk to new drive, then
sphinx ~ # gunzip -c windisk.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=10M conv=notrunc
0+1819751 records in

0+1819751 records out
60011642880 bytes (60 GB) copied, 940.652 s, 63.8 MB/s

3. Boot into windows. After login it says "You must restart your computer to apply these changes", so i restart. Then go into* Disk managment and select "Extend Volume", which immediately makes all the space was immediately available. Paranoia says run a disk check, which windows offers to schedule at next reboot. I accept and reboot, check runs and no errors are reported, so im

Thanks again list!