Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Pandu Poluan

Default Gentoo-based 'filer' / GentooFiler How-To?

Hello list!

Is there a how-to on how to create a 'filer' (kind of like OpenFiler)
using Gentoo?

I really don't need many things OpenFiler provided, so I think I want
to roll-out my own 'GentooFiler'.

Here's what I need:
* iSCSI target
* Replication
* RAID 0 striping (redundancy will be handled by RAID 1 hardware)

Here's what I don't want:
* Web-based GUI
* LDAP and/or AD integration
* NAS ability (CIFS/SAMBA, NFS, etc)

Can you point me to a how-to? Or if such howto doesn't exist yet, can
you provide me pointers on how to realize the GentooFiler?

(If there's no howto on making a GentooFiler, I'll be glad to make one
-- but do point me to the necessary resources, please.)

Thanks in advance!

Rgds,

Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/

Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 14.05.2011 21:31, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> Hello list!
>
> Is there a how-to on how to create a 'filer' (kind of like OpenFiler)
> using Gentoo?
>
> I really don't need many things OpenFiler provided, so I think I want
> to roll-out my own 'GentooFiler'.
>
> Here's what I need:
> * iSCSI target
> * Replication
> * RAID 0 striping (redundancy will be handled by RAID 1 hardware)
>
> Here's what I don't want:
> * Web-based GUI
> * LDAP and/or AD integration
> * NAS ability (CIFS/SAMBA, NFS, etc)
>
> Can you point me to a how-to? Or if such howto doesn't exist yet, can
> you provide me pointers on how to realize the GentooFiler?
>
> (If there's no howto on making a GentooFiler, I'll be glad to make one
> -- but do point me to the necessary resources, please.)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rgds,

Gentoo wiki has something on this:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ISCSI

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Pandu Poluan

Hmmm... that would be a nice start, thanks!

Now to figure out how to carry out RAID 0 Striping and Replication.

Do you think this 'GentooFiler' thingy I'm planning is worth it to be
suggested in [gentoo-project] ?

Rgds,

Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 15.05.2011 05:37, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> On 2011-05-15, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
>> Am 14.05.2011 21:31, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>>> Hello list!
>>>
>>> Is there a how-to on how to create a 'filer' (kind of like OpenFiler)
>>> using Gentoo?
>>>
>>> I really don't need many things OpenFiler provided, so I think I want
>>> to roll-out my own 'GentooFiler'.
>>>
>>> Here's what I need:
>>> * iSCSI target
>>> * Replication
>>> * RAID 0 striping (redundancy will be handled by RAID 1 hardware)
>>>
>>> Here's what I don't want:
>>> * Web-based GUI
>>> * LDAP and/or AD integration
>>> * NAS ability (CIFS/SAMBA, NFS, etc)
>>>
>>> Can you point me to a how-to? Or if such howto doesn't exist yet, can
>>> you provide me pointers on how to realize the GentooFiler?
>>>
>>> (If there's no howto on making a GentooFiler, I'll be glad to make one
>>> -- but do point me to the necessary resources, please.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Rgds,
>>>

>> Gentoo wiki has something on this:
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ISCSI
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Florian Philipp
>>

> Hmmm... that would be a nice start, thanks!
>
> Now to figure out how to carry out RAID 0 Striping and Replication.
>
> Do you think this 'GentooFiler' thingy I'm planning is worth it to be
> suggested in [gentoo-project] ?
>
> Rgds,

I think as long as you don't plan to provide code (except of some
scripts, maybe), new packages or pre-packaged VMs/live-CDs/appliances, a
wiki page will be more than enough. Maybe move it to the official Gentoo
docs once it has matured.

BTW: Please don't top-post. Put your answers below the text you are
quoting. That makes reading longer threads easier.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
pk

On 2011-05-15 12:05, Florian Philipp wrote:

> BTW: Please don't top-post. Put your answers below the text you are
> quoting. That makes reading longer threads easier.

Yes, but putting the text below the quoted text also assumes one keeps
only the relevant text (i.e. deletes all irrelevant text), which (sadly)
doesn't seem to be the norm these days...

Best regards

Peter K

Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Pandu Poluan

On 2011-05-15 12:05, Florian Philipp wrote:

> BTW: Please don't top-post. Put your answers below the text you are
> quoting. That makes reading longer threads easier.

Yeah, sorry about that. Bad habits due to prolonged exposure to Google's Java-based mobile client

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> : Yes, but putting the text below the quoted text also assumes one keeps
only the relevant text (i.e. deletes all irrelevant text), which (sadly)
doesn't seem to be the norm these days...

Indeed. And sometimes top-posting is *forced* (e.g., Google's Java-based Gmail client -- it *totally* hides the replied-to message).

Heck, using my E72's built-in mail client is only slightly better: for reasons known to the makers only, replies do *not* get indented using '>'. I have to manually put in a mark there.

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Pandu Poluan

On 2011-05-15, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 15.05.2011 05:37, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

>>> Gentoo wiki has something on this:
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ISCSI
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Florian Philipp
>>>

>> Hmmm... that would be a nice start, thanks!
>>
>> Now to figure out how to carry out RAID 0 Striping and Replication.
>>
>> Do you think this 'GentooFiler' thingy I'm planning is worth it to be
>> suggested in [gentoo-project] ?
>>
>> Rgds,
>>

> I think as long as you don't plan to provide code (except of some
> scripts, maybe), new packages or pre-packaged VMs/live-CDs/appliances, a
> wiki page will be more than enough. Maybe move it to the official Gentoo
> docs once it has matured.

Thanks for the guidelines. I'll experiment first. I *might* go the way
of pre-packaged VMs, though, since after all that's what I'm planning
to do (i.e., GentooFiler virtual appliance on top of XenServer).

> BTW: Please don't top-post. Put your answers below the text you are
> quoting. That makes reading longer threads easier.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

Yeah, sorry about that. Bad habits. When you're mobile with Symbian
smartphones, circumstances will make one acquire bad habits really
quickly

The *only* way I can properly bottom post like now, is to visit
Gmail's 'basic HTML' interface using Nokia's browser *sigh*.

Rgds,

Old 05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
pk

On 2011-05-15 14:59, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Indeed. And sometimes top-posting is *forced* (e.g., Google's
>Java-based Gmail client -- it *totally* hides the replied-to message).
>
> Heck, using my E72's built-in mail client is only slightly better:
>for reasons known to the makers only, replies do *not* get indented
>using '>'. I have to manually put in a mark there.

Yes, I know I'm trying to fight wind mills here (ref. to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote for those not in the know)...
(I'm not happy with my current mail client either [Thunderbird]).
I just added my comment to expand Florians suggestion, and the fact
that most people on this list don't top-post but do not edit their mails
so you have to scroll down, sometimes page after page to find the reply.
But this is quite common on most lists today (and most lists are, sadly,
much more tolerant towards top-posting). 'tis but a reflection of mine...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-05-15 10:05 AM, pk wrote:
> (I'm not happy with my current mail client either [Thunderbird]).

Why not? It isn't perfect, but is by far the best GUI+IMAP client I've
found...

Maybe you didn't know you could highlight the test you want to include
in your reply, and it will include *only* that in the reply?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
pk

On 2011-05-16 13:46, Tanstaafl wrote:

> Why not? It isn't perfect, but is by far the best GUI+IMAP client I've
> found...

Because of slowness and other little annoying things... I plan to
install Pine, an old favorite of mine. :-)

> Maybe you didn't know you could highlight the test you want to include
> in your reply, and it will include *only* that in the reply?

Didn't know that, thanks! :-)

Best regards

Peter K