Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Pandu Poluan

Default Gentoo-based 'filer' / GentooFiler How-To?

On Sunday, May 15, 2011, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> Hmmm... that would be a nice start, thanks!
>
> Now to figure out how to carry out RAID 0 Striping and Replication.
>
> Do you think this 'GentooFiler' thingy I'm planning is worth it to be
> suggested in [gentoo-project] ?
>
> Rgds,
>
> On 2011-05-15, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
>> Am 14.05.2011 21:31, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>>> Hello list!
>>>
>>> Is there a how-to on how to create a 'filer' (kind of like OpenFiler)
>>> using Gentoo?
>>>
>>> I really don't need many things OpenFiler provided, so I think I want
>>> to roll-out my own 'GentooFiler'.
>>>
>>> Here's what I need:
>>> * * iSCSI target
>>> * * Replication
>>> * * RAID 0 striping (redundancy will be handled by RAID 1 hardware)
>>>
>>> Here's what I don't want:
>>> * * Web-based GUI
>>> * * LDAP and/or AD integration
>>> * * NAS ability (CIFS/SAMBA, NFS, etc)
>>>
>>> Can you point me to a how-to? Or if such howto doesn't exist yet, can
>>> you provide me pointers on how to realize the GentooFiler?
>>>
>>> (If there's no howto on making a GentooFiler, I'll be glad to make one
>>> -- but do point me to the necessary resources, please.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Rgds,
>>>

>> *Gentoo wiki has something on this:
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ISCSI
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Florian Philipp

Hmmm... The linked page is a howto on using IET and Open-iSCSI.
Elsewhere on the net, I read that tgt (Stgt?) is the replacement for
IET...

Which naturally leads to a confused me:

Is it true that tgt will replace IET?

If not (or not in the near future), what's the advantage/disadvantage
of one over the other?

If true, are there any links/howtos/tutorial on using tgt? And tuning it?

Thanks in advance!

Rgds,

--
Pandu E Poluan
* ~ IT Optimizer ~ *

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Pandu Poluan

Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Andrea Conti

Hello,

> Is it true that tgt will replace IET?

Last time someone asked that question on the IET mailing list the answer
was "no". I can't find the relevant thread right now but I think the
general idea was that IET concentrates on code stability (thus no
inclusion in the kernel sources) and enterprise-oriented features, while
STGT follows kernel development and supports lots of fancy things.

Also, I think there is/was at least a partial overlap in the developers
behind the two projects.

> If true, are there any links/howtos/tutorial on using tgt? And tuning it?

I would start from the project home page, http://stgt.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
andrea

Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 14:45, Andrea Conti <alyf@alyf.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Is it true that tgt will replace IET?
>
> Last time someone asked that question on the IET mailing list the answer
> was "no". I can't find the relevant thread right now but I think the
> general idea was that IET concentrates on code stability (thus no
> inclusion in the kernel sources) and enterprise-oriented features, while
> STGT follows kernel development and supports lots of fancy things.
>
> Also, I think there is/was at least a partial overlap in the developers
> behind the two projects.
>
> > If true, are there any links/howtos/tutorial on using tgt? And tuning it?
>
> I would start from the project home page, http://stgt.sourceforge.net/
>
> HTH,
> andrea

Ahh, thanks for the explanation.

I'd go the IET route, then; I value stability over features.

Rgds,