FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Hartmut Figge
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

Greetings,

i am always booting to a console and switch later to X using startx. Now
i have noticed a message appearing after typing the password:

i5 login: ********
Password:
Last login: Sat May 14 06:58:55 CEST 2011 on tty1
* WARNING: you are stopping a boot service

Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User :-)
 
Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 07:39:03AM +0200, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> i am always booting to a console and switch later to X using startx. Now
> i have noticed a message appearing after typing the password:
>
> i5 login: ********
> Password:
> Last login: Sat May 14 06:58:55 CEST 2011 on tty1
> * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
>
> Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
> ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?

You may have a service in the wrong runlevel called "boot". What do you
have in it? ( 'ls /etc/runlevels/boot' )

--
Nicolas Sebrecht
 
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Hartmut Figge
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

Nicolas Sebrecht:
> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 07:39:03AM +0200, Hartmut Figge wrote:

>> Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
>> ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?
>
> You may have a service in the wrong runlevel called "boot".

Mhm, i do not see how the runlevel 'boot' can be involved by switching
to a console and a login there.

> What do you have in it? ( 'ls /etc/runlevels/boot' )

hafi@i5 ~ $ ls /etc/runlevels/boot
alsasound fsck keymaps mtab root termencoding
bootmisc hostname localmount net.lo swap urandom
consolefont hwclock modules procfs sysctl

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User :-)
 
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

Am 14.05.2011 07:39, schrieb Hartmut Figge:
> Greetings,
>
> i am always booting to a console and switch later to X using startx. Now
> i have noticed a message appearing after typing the password:
>
> i5 login: ********
> Password:
> Last login: Sat May 14 06:58:55 CEST 2011 on tty1
> * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
>

I guess there is something odd either in
- /etc/pam.d
- /etc/profile*
- /etc/bash/bashrc
- ~/.bashrc
- ~/.bash_profile

> Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
> ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?
>

Do you mean, every time you switch? Even if you do not log in?

Regards,
Florian Philipp
 
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Hartmut Figge
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

Florian Philipp:
> Am 14.05.2011 07:39, schrieb Hartmut Figge:

>> i am always booting to a console and switch later to X using startx. Now
>> i have noticed a message appearing after typing the password:
>>
>> i5 login: ********
>> Password:
>> Last login: Sat May 14 06:58:55 CEST 2011 on tty1
>> * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
>
> I guess there is something odd either in
> - /etc/pam.d
> - /etc/profile*
> - /etc/bash/bashrc
> - ~/.bashrc



> - ~/.bash_profile
>
>> Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
>> ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?
>
> Do you mean, every time you switch? Even if you do not log in?

Only after typing the password during login on a console. But that is
solved now thanks to your hint.

In the past there must have been a reason why i had added these lines to
my ~/.bashrc which i have now commented out:

----- .bashrc -----
#if [ $TERM = "linux" ]
#then
# sudo /etc/init.d/consolefont restart > /dev/null
#fi
---------------

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User :-)
 
Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default you are stopping a boot service

Am 14.05.2011 16:09, schrieb Hartmut Figge:
> Florian Philipp:
>> Am 14.05.2011 07:39, schrieb Hartmut Figge:
>
>>> i am always booting to a console and switch later to X using startx. Now
>>> i have noticed a message appearing after typing the password:
>>>
>>> i5 login: ********
>>> Password:
>>> Last login: Sat May 14 06:58:55 CEST 2011 on tty1
>>> * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
>>
>> I guess there is something odd either in
>> - /etc/pam.d
>> - /etc/profile*
>> - /etc/bash/bashrc
>> - ~/.bashrc
>
>
>
>> - ~/.bash_profile
>>
>>> Same thing happens after switching from X to a console with e.g.
>>> ctrl-altl-F2. Hm?
>>
>> Do you mean, every time you switch? Even if you do not log in?
>
> Only after typing the password during login on a console. But that is
> solved now thanks to your hint.
>
> In the past there must have been a reason why i had added these lines to
> my ~/.bashrc which i have now commented out:
>
> ----- .bashrc -----
> #if [ $TERM = "linux" ]
> #then
> # sudo /etc/init.d/consolefont restart > /dev/null
> #fi
> ---------------
>
> Hartmut

Glad I could help. It could have been worse, though. I once had a user
who wrote `exit 0` at the end of his ~/.bashrc file in order to
"properly finish that script". It took a while to figure out why he
couldn't log in. ;-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org