Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/526008-chicken-egg-nfs-tty-video.html)

Felix Miata 05-14-2011 01:04 AM

chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
 
Yesterday I attempted my first Gentoo install (11.0). Thanks to help here, I
got through my mirrorselect problem. First boot failed. I managed to miss
enabling VIA ATA support, so had no access to /. Second kernel build
suceeded, even to basic network working. First activity on first boot was
'emerge mc'. That took too long to measure, pulling in 146 packages total,
and I had to goto an appointment before it finished (at package 109).


Along the way to successful boot, I attempted two emerges suggested by the
handbook (one being Grub Legacy). Both produced "ERROR: ... (compile
phase)..." errors. Today I attempted NFS mounting only to find messages
indicating I had neither portmap nor rpcbind running, so tried 'emerge
portmap'. This produced similar (compile phase)... line 2140: Called die..."
error. So did 'emerge rpcbind'. The way I normally provide logs when asking
for help is put them on my file/web server via NFS, hence the chicken & egg
subject line.


Another problem, highly annoying, is both vga= and video= cmdline parameters
are apparently being ignored. KMS seems married to the Trinitron's
PreferredMode (1600x1200), which produces mousetype on the ttys, and needs to
be fixed before I'll be able to accomplish much without pain trying to see
what I'm doing. My tty PreferredMode is 1152x864, which works with openSUSE
KMS kernels by setting video=1152x864 on cmdline.


Any suggestions? Are such things in a FAQ somewhere? Do I need an older or
newer portage than Wednesday's? The Handbook stops at Finalizing, where these
questions aren't covered.

--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Indi 05-14-2011 02:35 AM

chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
 
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 03:10:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
> Yesterday I attempted my first Gentoo install (11.0). Thanks to help here, I
> got through my mirrorselect problem. First boot failed. I managed to miss
> enabling VIA ATA support, so had no access to /. Second kernel build
> suceeded, even to basic network working. First activity on first boot was
> 'emerge mc'. That took too long to measure, pulling in 146 packages total,
> and I had to goto an appointment before it finished (at package 109).
>
> Along the way to successful boot, I attempted two emerges suggested by the
> handbook (one being Grub Legacy). Both produced "ERROR: ... (compile
> phase)..." errors. Today I attempted NFS mounting only to find messages
> indicating I had neither portmap nor rpcbind running, so tried 'emerge
> portmap'. This produced similar (compile phase)... line 2140: Called die..."
> error. So did 'emerge rpcbind'. The way I normally provide logs when asking
> for help is put them on my file/web server via NFS, hence the chicken & egg
> subject line.
>

Maybe a stupid question, but have you tried run emerge --sync and emerge
-vauND world yet since installing?

> Another problem, highly annoying, is both vga= and video= cmdline parameters
> are apparently being ignored. KMS seems married to the Trinitron's
> PreferredMode (1600x1200), which produces mousetype on the ttys, and needs to
> be fixed before I'll be able to accomplish much without pain trying to see
> what I'm doing. My tty PreferredMode is 1152x864, which works with openSUSE
> KMS kernels by setting video=1152x864 on cmdline.
>
> Any suggestions? Are such things in a FAQ somewhere? Do I need an older or
> newer portage than Wednesday's? The Handbook stops at Finalizing, where these
> questions aren't covered.

Do you have your video card specified in make.conf?
Should be somthing like:

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Alex Schuster 05-14-2011 03:19 AM

chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
 
Indi writes:

> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 03:10:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Along the way to successful boot, I attempted two emerges suggested by the
>> handbook (one being Grub Legacy). Both produced "ERROR: ... (compile
>> phase)..." errors.

If you like, post the messages here. Be sure to include enough of the
log, from the first error message on.

>> Today I attempted NFS mounting only to find messages
>> indicating I had neither portmap nor rpcbind running, so tried 'emerge
>> portmap'. This produced similar (compile phase)... line 2140: Called die..."
>> error. So did 'emerge rpcbind'. The way I normally provide logs when asking
>> for help is put them on my file/web server via NFS, hence the chicken & egg
>> subject line.

Have you emerged nfs-utils? Is /etc/init.d/nfs running? This should take
care of everything I think.

> Maybe a stupid question, but have you tried run emerge --sync and emerge
> -vauND world yet since installing?
>
>> Another problem, highly annoying, is both vga= and video= cmdline parameters
>> are apparently being ignored. KMS seems married to the Trinitron's
>> PreferredMode (1600x1200), which produces mousetype on the ttys, and needs to
>> be fixed before I'll be able to accomplish much without pain trying to see
>> what I'm doing. My tty PreferredMode is 1152x864, which works with openSUSE
>> KMS kernels by setting video=1152x864 on cmdline.

I just switched to KMS mode, and was happy that without doing anything I
had the natural resolution of my display. Don't know how to change this
though. Does kernel command line parameter "vga=ask" still work maybe?

>> Any suggestions? Are such things in a FAQ somewhere? Do I need an older or
>> newer portage than Wednesday's? The Handbook stops at Finalizing, where these
>> questions aren't covered.

There are several more howtos on gentoo.org, but I don't know if NFS and
console display are covered.

> Do you have your video card specified in make.conf?
> Should be somthing like:
>
> VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

I think that's for X-related stuff only.

Wonko


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.