Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
William Hubbs

Default Pre OpenRC update question...

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:47:59AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On last question/confirmation -
>
> There are a few updates other than just the baselayout/OpenRC updates
> pending... can I still emerge those now, prior to the baselayout update,
> like normal?

Yes, as long as they do not have a dependency on the newer baselayout or
openrc.

> On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
> could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
> emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
> without any problems, right?

I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
still using baselayout-1.

William

Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-05-16 7:38 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:47:59AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
>> could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
>> emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
>> without any problems, right?

> I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
> openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
> baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
> still using baselayout-1.

Well, sure, I'm not talking about delaying the update for very long,
weeks, maybe, but no more than a month or two at the most.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Dale

On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
without any problems, right?

I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
still using baselayout-1.

Well, sure, I'm not talking about delaying the update for very long,
weeks, maybe, but no more than a month or two at the most.

On my old rig, I updated it last night. On it, nothing else depended on
openrc and baselayout. It had other updates and I wanted to do the
openrc alone so I did emerge -1av openrc and that updated baselayout and
installed openrc. I might add, the machine is remotely ran over ssh.
The only time I touch it is to push the power switch to turn it on. The
upgrade was easy enough. Most of the things in the guide are done
during the install and can be skipped. It would be safer to check them
all tho. When I finished, I just typed in reboot & exit and a couple
minutes later, I logged back in. No problems at all.

If you want to hold off on the updates, just add the packages to
package.mask and it will skip them so that you can still use world and
system without pulling them in.

As was already stated, I wouldn't wait to long. It will most likely
start to breaking things pretty soon.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Stroller

On 16/5/2011, at 11:47am, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
> could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
> emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
> without any problems, right?

I don't believe you can do this safely, as I don't believe that the runtime-depends of all other ebuilds distinguish properly between the old baselayout and OpenRC / baselayout2.

There were some comments here the other week about checking for libraries & programs which has been updated / recompiled, but for which the old versions were still in use. The programs `lib_users` and `checkrestart` were mentioned, and sure enough the latter indicated some init.d scripts; however some of these failed to restart, complaining "I'm written for the new baselayout, not this old crap!".

I run a mostly "stable" x86 system, with a handful of ~x86 packages unmasked by hand, so I can't say this isn't to blame. I personally think the cause is that I synced and updated a handful of packages just as or before the migration warning appeared, and that these were stabilised in preparation for the other. Whatever - I think Portage should be clever enough to say "hang on, this init.d script doesn't match the baselayout verstion - let's not emerge this!", but it doesn't seem to be.

Stroller