Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 AM

Default OpenRC: Need to start net.eth1 and ntp-client by hand

Hi,

after upgradeing to openrc there still some issues...

1) After reboot eth1 (there was/is no eth0!) is up and
running (according to ifconfig) but

ping <site>

returns "unknown host". After calling /etc/init.d/net.eth1
(which is a symlink to /etc/net.lo) as root by hand again
the ping comand works

How can I make this working at boot time?

2) /etc/ntp-client gets not called at boot time. Calling
it by hand as root afterwards reveals no errors and
all works find.

How can I make this working at boot time,too?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 AM

meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after upgradeing to openrc there still some issues...
>
> 1) After reboot eth1 (there was/is no eth0!) is up and
> running (according to ifconfig) but
>
> ping <site>
>
> returns "unknown host". After calling /etc/init.d/net.eth1
> (which is a symlink to /etc/net.lo) as root by hand again
> the ping comand works
>
> How can I make this working at boot time?
>
> 2) /etc/ntp-client gets not called at boot time. Calling
> it by hand as root afterwards reveals no errors and
> all works find.
>
> How can I make this working at boot time,too?
>
> Thank you for your help in advance!

I will ask the obvious -- do you have those two in either boot or
default run level?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanasis

on 05/12/2011 06:13 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote the following:
> Hi,
>
> after upgradeing to openrc there still some issues...
>
> 1) After reboot eth1 (there was/is no eth0!) is up and
> running (according to ifconfig) but
>
> ping <site>
>
> returns "unknown host". After calling /etc/init.d/net.eth1
> (which is a symlink to /etc/net.lo) as root by hand again
> the ping comand works
>
> How can I make this working at boot time?

rc-update add net.eth0 default

> 2) /etc/ntp-client gets not called at boot time. Calling
> it by hand as root afterwards reveals no errors and
> all works find.
>
> How can I make this working at boot time,too?

add to runlevel as above...

rc-update add <servicename> <runlevel>

Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Mick

2011/5/12 Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org>:
> on 05/12/2011 06:13 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after upgradeing to openrc there still some issues...
>>
>> 1) After reboot eth1 (there was/is no eth0!) is up and
>> * *running (according to ifconfig) but
>>
>> * * * * ping <site>
>>
>> * *returns "unknown host". After calling /etc/init.d/net.eth1
>> * *(which is a symlink to /etc/net.lo) as root by hand again
>> * *the ping comand works
>>
>> * *How can I make this working at boot time?
>
> rc-update add net.eth0 default

This will only work if the OP first reads the migration web page[1]
that the devs have kindly provided and included in the elog of KDE
4.6, which explicitly states that the net.eth0 -> net.lo symlink may
need to be recreated.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde44-46-upgrade.xml
Mick

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Mick

On 12 May 2011 09:27, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/12 Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org>:
>> on 05/12/2011 06:13 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote the following:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after upgradeing to openrc there still some issues...
>>>
>>> 1) After reboot eth1 (there was/is no eth0!) is up and
>>> * *running (according to ifconfig) but
>>>
>>> * * * * ping <site>
>>>
>>> * *returns "unknown host". After calling /etc/init.d/net.eth1
>>> * *(which is a symlink to /etc/net.lo) as root by hand again
>>> * *the ping comand works
>>>
>>> * *How can I make this working at boot time?
>>
>> rc-update add net.eth0 default
>
> This will only work if the OP first reads the migration web page[1]
> that the devs have kindly provided and included in the elog of KDE
> 4.6, which explicitly states that the *net.eth0 -> net.lo symlink may
> need to be recreated.
>
> [1] *http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde44-46-upgrade.xml

Oops! My bad, I'm getting confused with all these upgrades! )

The guide to read is of course the OpenRC migration:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Mick

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Dale