Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Mick

Default depclean after kde-4.6 upgrade

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 22:28:22 you wrote:
> Having completed the upgrade I noticed that a few packages are being called
> up for removal:
>
> sys-apps/dmidecode
> selected: 2.10
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> I can't think of it being a dependency - did I emerge it and forgot about
> it?
>

> Anyway, this confused me more:
>
> kde-base/okteta
> selected: 4.4.5
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> okteta is not my world file. So something brought it in. It was not
> updated to v6, instead when I try to update it manually is asking for a
> second slot ... is this normal?
> ================================================== ===
> # emerge -uaDv okteta

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild NS ] kde-base/okteta-4.6.2 [4.4.5] USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug
> (- kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix)" 5,933 kB
> [uninstall ] kde-base/okteta-4.4.5 USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug (-
> kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix)"
> [blocks b ] kde-base/okteta:4.6[-kdeprefix] ("kde-base/okteta:4.6[-
> kdeprefix]" is blocking kde-base/okteta-4.4.5)
> [blocks b ] kde-base/okteta:4.4[-kdeprefix] ("kde-base/okteta:4.4[-
> kdeprefix]" is blocking kde-base/okteta-4.6.2)
>
> Total: 1 package (1 in new slot, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 5,933 kB
> Conflict: 2 blocks
> ================================================== ===
>
> Why is this happening?

Similarly:

kde-base/libksane-4.4.5 does not seem to have been updated to kde-
base/libksane-4.6.2 ... as part of update world.

Shouldn't it have been?

Finally,

kde-base/knetworkconf
selected: 4.4.5
protected: none
omitted: none

Is asking to be removed, but there isn't a 4.6 version. Has it been replaced
by something else?
Mick

Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Having completed the upgrade I noticed that a few packages are being called up
for removal:

sys-apps/dmidecode
selected: 2.10
protected: none
omitted: none

I can't think of it being a dependency - did I emerge it and forgot about it?

Do you care? Does it matter? :-)

Anyway, this confused me more:

kde-base/okteta
selected: 4.4.5
protected: none
omitted: none

okteta is not my world file. So something brought it in. It was not updated
to v6, instead when I try to update it manually is asking for a second slot
... is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. The slot will be installed, the old slot uninstalled.
Btw, okteta is a dep of kdevelop, which is only pulled-in when the
"okteta" USE flag is enabled. Maybe that's why you have it installed.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> kde-base/knetworkconf
> * *selected: 4.4.5
> * protected: none
> * * omitted: none
>
> Is asking to be removed, but there isn't a 4.6 version. *Has it been replaced
> by something else?

It was replaced by knetworkmanager

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having completed the upgrade I noticed that a few packages are being called up
> for removal:
>
> okteta is not my world file. *So something brought it in. *It was not updated
> to v6, instead when I try to update it manually is asking for a second slot
> ... is this normal?

If you add --tree to your emerge command you can see what's pulling it
in. I think it might be a dependency of kdevelop.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 23:26:18 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 12:28 AM, Mick wrote:
> > Having completed the upgrade I noticed that a few packages are being
> > called up
> >
> > for removal:
> > sys-apps/dmidecode
> >
> > selected: 2.10
> >
> > protected: none
> >
> > omitted: none
> >
> > I can't think of it being a dependency - did I emerge it and forgot about
> > it?
>
> Do you care? Does it matter? :-)

It probably doesn't matter, but I don't know if it does and was curious.

> > Anyway, this confused me more:
> > kde-base/okteta
> >
> > selected: 4.4.5
> >
> > protected: none
> >
> > omitted: none
> >
> > okteta is not my world file. So something brought it in. It was not
> > updated to v6, instead when I try to update it manually is asking for a
> > second slot ... is this normal?
>
> Yes, it's normal. The slot will be installed, the old slot uninstalled.
> Btw, okteta is a dep of kdevelop, which is only pulled-in when the
> "okteta" USE flag is enabled. Maybe that's why you have it installed.

Ah! Yes, that flag is now not there:

$ euse -i okteta
global use flags (searching: okteta)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: okteta)
[- ] okteta (dev-util/kdevelop):
Enable hex editor plugin

Thanks!
Mick

Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Mick

On 12 May 2011 06:31, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2011 23:26:18 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 05/12/2011 12:28 AM, Mick wrote:
>> > Having completed the upgrade I noticed that a few packages are being
>> > called up
>> >
>> > for removal:
>> > * sys-apps/dmidecode
>> >
>> > * * *selected: 2.10
>> >
>> > * * protected: none
>> >
>> > * * * omitted: none
>> >
>> > I can't think of it being a dependency - did I emerge it and forgot about
>> > it?
>>
>> Do you care? *Does it matter? :-)
>
> It probably doesn't matter, but I don't know if it does and was curious.

Found what caused this. My removing of hal which was pulling this in.

Mick

Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 23:26:28 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > kde-base/knetworkconf
> > selected: 4.4.5
> > protected: none
> > omitted: none
> >
> > Is asking to be removed, but there isn't a 4.6 version. Has it been
> > replaced by something else?
>
> It was replaced by knetworkmanager

Not sure it is.

knetworkconf-4.4.5 is part of kde-base family of packages and has no
networkmanager support or indeed wicd, but knetworkmanager is part of kde-misc
and has support for both (at least as far as their USE flags advise).

Also, knetworkconf was brought in as part kdeadmin-meta-4.4.5, knetworkmanager
is not.
Mick