-   -   rdate stopped working, and I just upgraded to baselayout 2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/524826-rdate-stopped-working-i-just-upgraded-baselayout-2-a.html)

"Walter Dnes" 05-11-2011 02:53 AM

rdate stopped working, and I just upgraded to baselayout 2

Like the subject says, rdate has stopped working for me. I tried
different timeservers, with and without iptables firewall, and it always
times out. /var/log/portage shows that I emerged the current version of
rdate back in early August last year. I just updated to baselayout 2 so
I wonder if it's involved. revdep-rebuild doesn't find any problems.
And I do have /etc/timezone set up...

[i3][root][~] cat /etc/timezone
Canada/Eastern

The machine is amd64 stable.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Mick 05-11-2011 09:49 PM

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 03:53:06 Walter Dnes wrote:
> Like the subject says, rdate has stopped working for me. I tried
> different timeservers, with and without iptables firewall, and it always
> times out. /var/log/portage shows that I emerged the current version of
> rdate back in early August last year. I just updated to baselayout 2 so
> I wonder if it's involved. revdep-rebuild doesn't find any problems.
> And I do have /etc/timezone set up...
>
> [i3][root][~] cat /etc/timezone
> Canada/Eastern
>
> The machine is amd64 stable.

I recall that not all ntp servers respond to rdate - perhaps the server(s) you
tried have changed their configuration?
Mick

"Walter Dnes" 05-12-2011 12:09 AM

rdate stopped working, and I just upgraded to baselayout 2

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:49:44PM +0100, Mick wrote

> I recall that not all ntp servers respond to rdate - perhaps the
> server(s) you tried have changed their configuration?

Finally found one... nist1-ny.ustiming.org

I'm in Toronto Canada, and New York City is about as close as it gets
to me. Your message implies that there is some other program to get
time from a server. Is it ntpd?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Michael Orlitzky 05-12-2011 01:09 AM

On 05/11/2011 08:09 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:49:44PM +0100, Mick wrote
>
>> I recall that not all ntp servers respond to rdate - perhaps the
>> server(s) you tried have changed their configuration?
>
> Finally found one... nist1-ny.ustiming.org
>
> I'm in Toronto Canada, and New York City is about as close as it gets
> to me. Your message implies that there is some other program to get
> time from a server. Is it ntpd?

Most people (made-up statistic) use NTP. There are a couple of different
implementations available; I personally think openntpd is the easiest to
configure if you don't have chronic (pun extremely intended) time issues.