-   -   How's the openrc update going for everyone? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/524725-hows-openrc-update-going-everyone.html)

Todd Goodman 05-10-2011 09:34 PM

How's the openrc update going for everyone?

* Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> [110510 17:29]:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
> have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
> issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
> have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
> List issues if you had any.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Hi Dale,

I did it previously on a couple ~x86 machines and now on a couple x86
machines haven't had any problems at all.

Todd

Dale 05-10-2011 09:55 PM

How's the openrc update going for everyone?

Hi folks,

I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
List issues if you had any.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dale

:-) :-)

Alan McKinnon 05-10-2011 10:05 PM

How's the openrc update going for everyone?

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:55 on Tuesday 10 May 2011, Dale did opine
thusly:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
> have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
> issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
> have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
> List issues if you had any.

Been using it for, oh I dunno - ages?, on a variety of x86 and amd64 machines.
All bar one were clean installs, the one - this very notebook - was a
migration.

Does it work? Well, you've been reading my posts all this time so the
migration couldn't have been catastrophic :-)

It was a PITA at the time, having to go through conf.d and fiddle each one to
be conformant. But once complete, it was a reboot and JustWorks(tm)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Paul Hartman 05-10-2011 10:07 PM

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that have
> done theirs? *Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there issues? *I'm
> mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I have. *Just a simple
> works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice. *List issues if you had any.

I'm using ~amd64 and upgraded long, long, long ago. No problems at all
during or after the upgrade. I would expect it to be even smoother
process now than it was then.

IIRC the biggest deal with the baselayout/openrc upgrade was that you
must update a bunch of config files, which are not necessarily all
blind/trivial updates. Failing to update them could make rebooting a
sad experience.

Alex Schuster 05-10-2011 10:41 PM

Dale writes:

> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
> have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
> issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
> have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
> List issues if you had any.

I switched my main system about at least a year ago (and later on some
mor emachines), and it was without trouble. Be sure to update your
config files. The howto even had some points in it that it told had to
be done (I think adding init services to runlevels), but they were
somehow performed automagically.

Only slight problem I noticed: my file systems are being checked for the
need to be fscked for two times when booting. If a fsck is started, the
first one can be aborted with Ctrl-C as it used to be, the 2nd one
cannnot, which can be annoying if the partition is very large and I want
to use the PC _now_. I did not investigate this further, whether
/etc/init.d/fsck is called for two times or what. I thought it had to do
with all my partitions being on LUKS, but I don't even remember why I
thought this.

Anyway, I think the update is quite safe when you follow the instructions.

Wonko

Florian Philipp 05-10-2011 10:41 PM

Am 10.05.2011 23:55, schrieb Dale:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
> have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
> issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
> have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
> List issues if you had any.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I've followed the official documentation and had no problems. Well ... I
sometimes had a problem with a parts of /etc/rc.conf being ignored but
that is specific to my fiddling with it and I've never tracked it down
far enough to open a bug for it.

All at all, I don't think you have to expect trouble as long as you rtfm.

Regards,
Florian Philipp