Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Mark Knecht

Default KDE-4.6 upgrade - no applications

For anyone who has a stable machine, upgrades KDE as per the release
from last night and finds, like me, that they had no applications in
the applications menu, the command

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

run from the user account should help you get running again.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 10 May 2011 19:36:54 Mark Knecht wrote:
> For anyone who has a stable machine, upgrades KDE as per the release
> from last night and finds, like me, that they had no applications in
> the applications menu, the command
>
> kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>
> run from the user account should help you get running again.

Did you have to run this after a reboot, or is it only necessary if you do not
reboot the machine?

Mick

Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2011 19:36:54 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> For anyone who has a stable machine, upgrades KDE as per the release
>> from last night and finds, like me, that they had no applications in
>> the applications menu, the command
>>
>> kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>>
>> run from the user account should help you get running again.
>
> Did you have to run this after a reboot, or is it only necessary if you do not
> reboot the machine?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Rebooting didn't help. You only need to run it if the Applications
menu is empty after the upgrade as mine was. I was in KDE, did the
upgrade, logged out and back in, the menu was empty. I rebooted. The
menu was empty. I used a different machine to go find the command and
then executed the command on the upgrade machine and the menus were
recreated.

It took me a while to dig out the command from the Gentoo docs. It was
there if you read carefully. I'm just quite sleepy today so it took
longer than it should of and I didn't want others to panic like I did
after the upgrade and before I found the command.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> It took me a while to dig out the command from the Gentoo docs. It was
> there if you read carefully. I'm just quite sleepy today so it took
> longer than it should of and I didn't want others to panic like I did
> after the upgrade and before I found the command.

Thanks, I've had the same thing happen 2 or 3 times in the past and I
always struggle to remember exactly what it was supposed to be.