Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Need more NFS help

A couple of weeks ago I switched my gcc profile over and rebuilt
everything with emerge -e system and emerge -e world. Now, when I
restart the computer (any of the three on my LAN), the NFS shares listed
in /etc/fstab are not automatically mounted. I can mount them manually
with no errors. Here's an example of one of my /etc/fstab files:

camille ~ # cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.18.4.1
2005/01/31 23:05:14 vapier Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda6 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda7 none swap sw
0 0
/dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/store/ xfs noatime
0 0
#/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
carter:/backup /backup/carter nfs bg,hard
0 0
carter:/usr/portage /usr/portage nfs bg,hard
0 0
carter:/home/michael/camera /mnt/Pictures nfs bg,hard 0 0
nfs bg,hard 0 0
#carter:/home/michael/BizarreBits /home/michael/BizarreBits/ nfs
bg,hard 0 0
catherine:/backup /backup/catherine nfs bg,hard
0 0
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

I can say at the command prompt:

mount carter:/backup /backup/carter

and it works fine without any errors. Why are these not being mounted
at boot? Netmount starts at the default runlevel, but my nfs shares are
not mounting...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Bill Longman

On 05/10/2011 08:02 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I switched my gcc profile over and rebuilt
> everything with emerge -e system and emerge -e world. Now, when I
> restart the computer (any of the three on my LAN), the NFS shares listed
> in /etc/fstab are not automatically mounted. I can mount them manually
> with no errors. Here's an example of one of my /etc/fstab files:
>
> camille ~ # cat /etc/fstab

You're barking up the wrong tree. Show your rc-status -a and you'll see
a few nfs-related services that you've not added to default run level.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Bill Longman

Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Alex Schuster

Bill Longman writes:

> On 05/10/2011 08:02 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > A couple of weeks ago I switched my gcc profile over and rebuilt
> > everything with emerge -e system and emerge -e world. Now, when I
> > restart the computer (any of the three on my LAN), the NFS shares
> > listed in /etc/fstab are not automatically mounted. I can mount them
> > manually with no errors. Here's an example of one of my /etc/fstab
> > files:
> >
> > camille ~ # cat /etc/fstab
>
> You're barking up the wrong tree. Show your rc-status -a and you'll see
> a few nfs-related services that you've not added to default run level.

I don't say that's not true, but wouldn't this be a bug, and the
nfsmount init script would be missing some depend entry?

Personally, I always have the noauto option in my fstab lines for NFS
shares, because of the looong delay when the server is offline while I
boot. Not sure if this is still the case, though, haven't tried in a while.
Instead, here these shares are mounted via /etc/init.d/local, when a
ping to the server succeeds.

Wonko

Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Bill Longman

On 05/10/2011 04:39 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Bill Longman writes:
>> You're barking up the wrong tree. Show your rc-status -a and you'll see
>> a few nfs-related services that you've not added to default run level.
>
> I don't say that's not true, but wouldn't this be a bug, and the
> nfsmount init script would be missing some depend entry?

I have to agree with you, Wonko. I had the same head scratching during
the same time and wondered what it could have been. An "enews" would
have been nice because I didn't see anything in my emerge logs.

> Personally, I always have the noauto option in my fstab lines for NFS
> shares, because of the looong delay when the server is offline while I
> boot. Not sure if this is still the case, though, haven't tried in a while.
> Instead, here these shares are mounted via /etc/init.d/local, when a
> ping to the server succeeds.

Yeah, that's just part of the territory, though, isn't it? I've actually
moved mine to boot since I'd rather have access to them in my local
script than later. Potatoe, pohtahtow.