-   -   Check CPU for throttling (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/523656-check-cpu-throttling.html)

Florian Philipp 05-08-2011 09:21 AM

Check CPU for throttling

Hi list!

Does someone know a tool that measures CPU performance and gives
live-updates on it?

My problem is as follows:
I have a desktop PC where the case is too small to include the custom
CPU cooler with fan. However, because the power supply sits directly
above the CPU and the CPU cooler is reasonably effective, I've simply
removed the fan from the CPU cooler and let the fan from the power
supply act as the CPU fan. This works surprisingly well and usually, the
CPU runs at 50C.

During tests with app-benchmarks/cpuburn, the CPU got as hot as 74C.
According to lm_sensors, this is the threshold for "critical"
temperature (though I find it a bit low - I've seen CPUs running as high
as 90C). Therefore I suspect that the CPU gets throttled but I cannot
verify this with cpuburn because this tool does not output performance
figures.

Because of that I'm in a need for a similar tool that also outputs FIPS,
iterations per second or some other figure while running so that I can
monitor it for any performance drops. I guess I could just use mencoder
and watch framerates or I could code something myself but maybe someone
knows a better tool for this.

Thanks in advance!
Florian Philipp

Helmut Jarausch 05-08-2011 10:59 AM

Check CPU for throttling

On 05/08/2011 11:21:06 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:

sys-process/atop shows current CPU freqency
I use it to check the effect of sys-power/powernowd

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik

Thanasis 05-08-2011 11:01 AM

Check CPU for throttling

Have you considered installing a low profile fan like
Delta EFB0612MA 60x60x10[mm] ?

Florian Philipp 05-08-2011 11:19 AM

Check CPU for throttling

Am 08.05.2011 13:01, schrieb Thanasis:
> Have you considered installing a low profile fan like
> Delta EFB0612MA 60x60x10[mm] ?

I did. But I still had the current cooler available. I don't want to
spend money on a new cooler if it is not necessary. Since I know even
Pentium 4 cooled in that way, it was worth a try.

Volker Armin Hemmann 05-10-2011 12:36 AM

Check CPU for throttling

On Sunday 08 May 2011 12:59:57 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 05/08/2011 11:21:06 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
>
> sys-process/atop shows current CPU freqency
> I use it to check the effect of sys-power/powernowd

why are you using powernowd?

Helmut Jarausch 05-10-2011 06:27 AM

Check CPU for throttling

On 05/10/2011 02:36:33 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2011 12:59:57 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > On 05/08/2011 11:21:06 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
> >
> > sys-process/atop shows current CPU freqency
> > I use it to check the effect of sys-power/powernowd
>
> why are you using powernowd?

Why not? It's a daemon which reduces the CPU speed under certain
circumstances.
This not only saves power but it reduce the noise produced by the fan.

Helmut.

Volker Armin Hemmann 05-10-2011 12:44 PM

Check CPU for throttling

On Tuesday 10 May 2011 08:27:42 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 02:36:33 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 May 2011 12:59:57 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > > On 05/08/2011 11:21:06 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > >
> > > sys-process/atop shows current CPU freqency
> > > I use it to check the effect of sys-power/powernowd
> >
> > why are you using powernowd?
>
> Why not? It's a daemon which reduces the CPU speed under certain
> circumstances.

just like the kernel. Only the kernel does it better.

> This not only saves power but it reduce the noise produced by the fan.

fanspeed - if you have a pwm fan.

Seriously, powernowd is so not needed. Just built a kernel with ondemand cpu
governor. You are done.

Helmut Jarausch 05-10-2011 02:34 PM

Check CPU for throttling

On 05/10/2011 02:44:26 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2011 08:27:42 Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> > > why are you using powernowd?
> >
> > Why not? It's a daemon which reduces the CPU speed under certain
> > circumstances.
>
> just like the kernel. Only the kernel does it better.
>
> > This not only saves power but it reduce the noise produced by the
> fan.
>
> fanspeed - if you have a pwm fan.
>
> Seriously, powernowd is so not needed. Just built a kernel with
> ondemand cpu
> governor. You are done.

Hi,
I've just tried that, but it doesn't work (at least, as the output of
atop is concerned)

dmesg shows
cpuidle: using governor ladder
cpuidle: using governor menu

Am I missing something?

Thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Sebastian Beler 05-10-2011 02:42 PM

Check CPU for throttling

Am 10.05.2011 16:34, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:

> Am I missing something?

Look at 'grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo' to see if your CPU is throttling
correctly.

Helmut Jarausch 05-10-2011 02:49 PM

Check CPU for throttling

On 05/10/2011 04:42:52 PM, Sebastian Beler wrote:
> Am 10.05.2011 16:34, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Look at 'grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo' to see if your CPU is throttling
> correctly.

And that tells me that the CPU is running at full speed (3 GHz in my
case) although all CPUs are idle.

Helmut.