Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Is there a "zypper ps" (from openSUSE) equivalent for Gentoo?

On openSUSE, there's a very helpful command after performing updates
that tells me which running programs are using files that were just
overwritten by updated copies. The command is "zypper ps". It helps to
avoid rebooting the machine (as I have to do in Gentoo), since I know
exactly what needs to be restarted (like X, sshd, etc.)

Is there something like that in Gentoo?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
justin

On 07/05/11 17:10, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On openSUSE, there's a very helpful command after performing updates
> that tells me which running programs are using files that were just
> overwritten by updated copies. The command is "zypper ps". It helps to
> avoid rebooting the machine (as I have to do in Gentoo), since I know
> exactly what needs to be restarted (like X, sshd, etc.)
>
> Is there something like that in Gentoo?

app-admin/lib_users

Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Dan Johansson

On Saturday 07 May 2011 20.32:01 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 05/07/2011 06:19 PM, justin wrote:
> > On 07/05/11 17:10, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> On openSUSE, there's a very helpful command after performing updates
> >> that tells me which running programs are using files that were just
> >> overwritten by updated copies. The command is "zypper ps". It helps to
> >> avoid rebooting the machine (as I have to do in Gentoo), since I know
> >> exactly what needs to be restarted (like X, sshd, etc.)
> >>
> >> Is there something like that in Gentoo?
> >
> > app-admin/lib_users

And do not forget app-admin/checkrestart

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Old 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On openSUSE, there's a very helpful command after performing updates
that tells me which running programs are using files that were just
overwritten by updated copies. The command is "zypper ps". It helps to
avoid rebooting the machine (as I have to do in Gentoo), since I know
exactly what needs to be restarted (like X, sshd, etc.)

Is there something like that in Gentoo?

app-admin/lib_users

And do not forget app-admin/checkrestart

That one seems even better than lib_users; it also reports files other
than *.so files.