Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Dale

Default Kgamma 4.6.3 fails prepare phase

john wrote:

Have reported as a bug. Not sure if I should have done?

USE="-handbook" emerge kdegamma fixes the issue though.

All other packages have emerged fine.

Love the bouncy ball widget, especially when you can stop it!!

I was hoping the weather thing would work again. Teach me to hope so
much. Still no worky. It only comes up with something called wettercom
but nothing noaa for USA. I guess I'll have to stick my head out the
door for a while longer.

Oh well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Mick

On Sunday 08 May 2011 16:09:36 Dale wrote:
> john wrote:
> > Have reported as a bug. Not sure if I should have done?
> >
> > USE="-handbook" emerge kdegamma fixes the issue though.
> >
> > All other packages have emerged fine.
> >
> > Love the bouncy ball widget, especially when you can stop it!!
>
> I was hoping the weather thing would work again. Teach me to hope so
> much. Still no worky. It only comes up with something called wettercom
> but nothing noaa for USA. I guess I'll have to stick my head out the
> door for a while longer.

Running stable here, so can't check what the new weather thingy does, but I
recall that when it borked last time moving from KDE3 to KDE4 I had to open
the ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and add a BBC code for the
region of interest.

If you can't find yours let me know and I'll have a look.
Mick

Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 PM
john

--
John D Maunder
jdm@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:14 on Monday 09 May 2011, john did opine
thusly:

> Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps
> weighs your teeth??

:-)

"Molar" as in the adjective describing "mole" as in "quantity of matter" as in
"some gigantic number of identical atoms (or maybe it's molecules)". It's a
very useful measure of "some quantity of stuff".

IIRC the gigantic number is Avogadro's number, on the order of 10^124. So one
mole of hydrogen would be the amount of hydrogen containing that number of
hydrogen atoms (or maybe it's molecules. Whatever.)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 PM
john

On Sun, 8 May 2011 16:38:57 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 May 2011 16:09:36 Dale wrote:
> > john wrote:
> > > Have reported as a bug. Not sure if I should have done?
> > >
> > > USE="-handbook" emerge kdegamma fixes the issue though.
> > >
> > > All other packages have emerged fine.
> > >
> > > Love the bouncy ball widget, especially when you can stop it!!
> >
> > I was hoping the weather thing would work again. Teach me to hope
> > so much. Still no worky. It only comes up with something called
> > wettercom but nothing noaa for USA. I guess I'll have to stick my
> > head out the door for a while longer.
>
> Running stable here, so can't check what the new weather thingy does,
> but I recall that when it borked last time moving from KDE3 to KDE4 I
> had to open the ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and add
> a BBC code for the region of interest.
>
> If you can't find yours let me know and I'll have a look.

Weather widgets running fine here:-
Namely LCD Weather Station and Weather Station . I have only have ever
run kde 4-6.2 and 4.6-3 so perhaps there is a problem upgrading from
previous versions.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Dale

john wrote:

Weather widgets running fine here:-
Namely LCD Weather Station and Weather Station . I have only have ever
run kde 4-6.2 and 4.6-3 so perhaps there is a problem upgrading from
previous versions.

Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps
weighs your teeth??

Do you use noaa stations or something else? I can't get noaa stations
to show up. It worked with 4.6.1 tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 08 May 2011 23:02:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 00:14 on Monday 09 May 2011, john did opine

> thusly:

> > Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps

> > weighs your teeth??

> :

> :-)

> "Molar" as in the adjective describing "mole" as in "quantity of matter" as

> in "some gigantic number of identical atoms (or maybe it's molecules)".

> It's a very useful measure of "some quantity of stuff".

> IIRC the gigantic number is Avogadro's number, on the order of 10^124. So

> one mole of hydrogen would be the amount of hydrogen containing that

> number of hydrogen atoms (or maybe it's molecules. Whatever.)

Here's a quotation from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28unit%29:

"The mole is defined as the amount of substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12*g of the isotope carbon-12 (12C).[1] Thus, by definition, one mole of pure 12C has a mass of exactly 12*g." (I don't know how those super- and subscript numbers will appear in e-mail.)

You just knew you were setting yourself up, didn't you?

--

Rgds

Peter

Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:46 on Monday 09 May 2011, Peter Humphrey
did opine thusly:

> On Sunday 08 May 2011 23:02:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:14 on Monday 09 May 2011, john did
> > opine
> >
> > thusly:
> > > Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps
> > > weighs your teeth??
> > :
> > :-)
> >
> > "Molar" as in the adjective describing "mole" as in "quantity of matter"
> > as in "some gigantic number of identical atoms (or maybe it's
> > molecules)". It's a very useful measure of "some quantity of stuff".
> >
> > IIRC the gigantic number is Avogadro's number, on the order of 10^124. So
> > one mole of hydrogen would be the amount of hydrogen containing that
> > number of hydrogen atoms (or maybe it's molecules. Whatever.)
>
> Here's a quotation from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28unit%29:
>
> "The mole is defined as the amount of substance that contains as many
> elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are
> atoms in 12 g of the isotope carbon-12 (12C).[1] Thus, by definition, one
> mole of pure 12C has a mass of exactly 12 g." (I don't know how those
> super- and subscript numbers will appear in e-mail.)
>
> You just knew you were setting yourself up, didn't you?

It's near midnight on a Sunday and I'm knackered after a weekend of being
father to 2 nine-year old girls - I hadn't even begun thinking it that far
through :-)

I just knew I was being uber-lazy and expected someone else to do the heavy
lifting of looking up the reference.

You just knew I was I was being a lazy old fart, didn't you?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 09 May 2011 00:00:55 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> You just knew I was I was being a lazy old fart, didn't you?

Welcome to the club!

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Sun, May 08 2011, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 00:14 on Monday 09 May 2011, john did opine
> thusly:
>
>> Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps
>> weighs your teeth??
>
> :-)
>
> "Molar" as in the adjective describing "mole" as in "quantity of matter" as in
> "some gigantic number of identical atoms (or maybe it's molecules)". It's a
> very useful measure of "some quantity of stuff".
>
> IIRC the gigantic number is Avogadro's number, on the order of 10^124. So one
> mole of hydrogen would be the amount of hydrogen containing that number of
> hydrogen atoms (or maybe it's molecules. Whatever.)

6.022 x 10^23

The number of atoms (or molecules) needed so that the weight in grams is
the atomic (or molecular) weight.

Helium has atomic weight of ~4, so 6.022*10^23 atoms of helium weight
about 4 grams.

allan