-   -   strange beeps from windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/5228-strange-beeps-windows.html)

Thufir 11-26-2007 09:26 AM

strange beeps from windows

I almost strictly use GNOME, and since configuring ALSA notice this
annoyance that many events from Pidgin cause "beeps" through the speakers
(when Pidgin starts and it auto-joins an IRC channel or someone addresses
a message to me, or IM's me, etc.). The "beeps" also are caused by non-
Pidgin events, it's just that Pidgin is the worst offender. These
"beeps" are through the soundcard/speaker, it's different from the
"system beep".

I've disabled many beeps and tried many permutations of the sound
configurations within GNOME to no avail. It has to be something
available through the GNOME GUI?

thanks,

Thufir

Albert Hopkins 11-26-2007 11:42 AM

strange beeps from windows

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 10:26 +0000, Thufir wrote:
> I almost strictly use GNOME, and since configuring ALSA notice this
> annoyance that many events from Pidgin cause "beeps" through the speakers
> (when Pidgin starts and it auto-joins an IRC channel or someone addresses
> a message to me, or IM's me, etc.). The "beeps" also are caused by non-
> Pidgin events, it's just that Pidgin is the worst offender. These
> "beeps" are through the soundcard/speaker, it's different from the
> "system beep".
>
> I've disabled many beeps and tried many permutations of the sound
> configurations within GNOME to no avail. It has to be something
> available through the GNOME GUI?

I've been using GNOME for years and found you have to go out of your way
to turn on those annoying sounds in GNOME (explicitly install
gnome-audio, enable the sound server, then enable sounds). In Pidgin
sounds can be disabled simply by going to Preferences/Sounds/Method and
selecting "No Sounds".

--
Albert W. Hopkins