Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Mick

Default QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths

On Thursday 05 May 2011 03:00:23 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just installed a Gentoo box and i am having a bizarre problem (bizarre
> for me at least), i'd like to point that the only solution i have found so
> far (attempt to modify some eclass) is way beyond the limit of complexness
> that i am used to so if there is another way i would really appreciate if
> anyone pointed it out for me
>
> And in case it is not obvious, i am pretty much of a rookie regardind
> gentoo and linux in general
>
> anyway, thanks in advance!!!
>
> The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:
>
> * QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths
> * ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:
> * soiled libtool library files found

Hmm ... I don't know why this is caused, but I would run:

emerge --oneshot -av libtool

and then

revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask
Mick

Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Rafael Barrera Oro

2011/5/5 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>

On Thursday 05 May 2011 03:00:23 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:

> Hello!

> I just installed a Gentoo box and i am having a bizarre problem (bizarre

> for me at least), i'd like to point that the only solution i have found so

> far (attempt to modify some eclass) is way beyond the limit of complexness

> that i am used to so if there is another way i would really appreciate if

> anyone pointed it out for me

> And in case it is not obvious, i am pretty much of a rookie regardind

> gentoo and linux in general

> anyway, thanks in advance!!!

> The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:

> * QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths

> ** ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:

> ** * soiled libtool library files found

Hmm ... I don't know why this is caused, but I would run:

*emerge --oneshot -av libtool

and then

*revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask

Mick

libtool is already installed, was your approach to re emerge it?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Rafael Barrera Oro

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Rafael Barrera Oro

2011/5/5 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>

On Thursday 05 May 2011 03:00:23 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:

> Hello!

> I just installed a Gentoo box and i am having a bizarre problem (bizarre

> for me at least), i'd like to point that the only solution i have found so

> far (attempt to modify some eclass) is way beyond the limit of complexness

> that i am used to so if there is another way i would really appreciate if

> anyone pointed it out for me

> And in case it is not obvious, i am pretty much of a rookie regardind

> gentoo and linux in general

> anyway, thanks in advance!!!

> The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:

> * QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths

> ** ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:

> ** * soiled libtool library files found

Hmm ... I don't know why this is caused, but I would run:

*emerge --oneshot -av libtool

and then

*revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask

Mick

I tried to emerge libtool and i detected some seriously weird behaviour, emerge configures libtool over an over in an infinite loop...
this is where the process resets:

...running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu CFLAGS=-O2 -march=i686 -pipe LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed CXXFLAGS=-O2 -march=i686 -pipe FFLAGS= FCFLAGS= --no-create --no-recursion
## -------------------------- #### Configuring libtool 2.2.10 #### -------------------------- ##
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -pchecking for gawk... gawk...
if i don't interrupt it just keep going, i think there is something seriously wrong with my system...

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Rafael Barrera Oro

Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Stroller

* QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths** ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:** * soiled libtool library files found
Have you run `lafilefixer`?
I run `sudo bash -c 'lafilefixer --justfixit && revdep-rebuild'` after every upgrade.
It may not be necessary every time, but it won't break anything. Probably worth a go.
Package is dev-util/lafilefixer if it's not already installed.
Stroller.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 5/5/2011, at 3:00am, Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:

> The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:
> * QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths
> ** ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:
> ** * soiled libtool library files found
>
> Have you run `lafilefixer`?
> I run `sudo bash -c 'lafilefixer --justfixit && revdep-rebuild'` after every
> upgrade.
> It may not be necessary every time, but it won't break anything. Probably
> worth a go.
> Package is dev-util/lafilefixer if it's not already installed.
> Stroller.

And maybe needs to run gcc-config and /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh too
just to be sure...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
walt

On 05/05/2011 07:13 AM, Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:

2011/5/5 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com <mailto:michaelkintzios@gmail.com>>

On Thursday 05 May 2011 03:00:23 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just installed a Gentoo box and i am having a bizarre problem (bizarre
> for me at least), i'd like to point that the only solution i have found so
> far (attempt to modify some eclass) is way beyond the limit of complexness
> that i am used to so if there is another way i would really appreciate if
> anyone pointed it out for me
>
> And in case it is not obvious, i am pretty much of a rookie regardind
> gentoo and linux in general
>
> anyway, thanks in advance!!!
>
> The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:
>
> * QA Notice: libdialog.la <http://libdialog.la> appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths
> * ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:
> * soiled libtool library files found

Hmm ... I don't know why this is caused, but I would run:

emerge --oneshot -av libtool

and then

revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask
Mick

I tried to emerge libtool and i detected some seriously weird behaviour, emerge configures libtool over an over in an infinite loop...

this is where the process resets:

running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu CFLAGS=-O2 -march=i686 -pipe LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed CXXFLAGS=-O2 -march=i686 -pipe FFLAGS= FCFLAGS= --no-create --no-recursion
## -------------------------- ##
## Configuring libtool 2.2.10 ##
## -------------------------- ##

checking for gawk... gawk

if i don't interrupt it just keep going, i think there is something seriously wrong with my system...

You said you just installed gentoo. Have you ever emerged any package on that machine
before? That is, was it working okay and then something broke it?

What version of python are you using -- you may have version 2.x and version 3.x.
If so, you should be using python 2.x when emerging things.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Mick

On Thursday 05 May 2011 20:57:50 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Stroller
>
> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 5/5/2011, at 3:00am, Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:

> > The thing is that emerging mirrorselect has the following outcome:
> > * QA Notice: libdialog.la appears to contain PORTAGE_TMPDIR paths
> > * ERROR: dev-util/dialog-1.1.20100428 failed:
> > * soiled libtool library files found
> >
> > Have you run `lafilefixer`?
> > I run `sudo bash -c 'lafilefixer --justfixit && revdep-rebuild'` after
> > every upgrade.
> > It may not be necessary every time, but it won't break anything. Probably
> > worth a go.
> > Package is dev-util/lafilefixer if it's not already installed.
> > Stroller.

Portage should run lafilefixer on its own these days. The fixlafiles is one
of the default FEATURES.

> And maybe needs to run gcc-config and /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh too
> just to be sure...

Only if he has upgraded gcc. There should have been relevant enotices at the
time of the emerge.
Mick

Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Stroller

On 5/5/2011, at 10:53pm, Mick wrote:
> Portage should run lafilefixer on its own these days. The fixlafiles is one
> of the default FEATURES.

I only read of that on this list in the last few weeks, so had assumed it had come of ~x86, but not yet x86.

Stroller.