-   -   videos that won't go away. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/522302-videos-wont-go-away.html)

Dale 05-04-2011 10:04 PM

videos that won't go away.

Hi folks,

I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
the tab or close the browser, the video is still there. If the video
contains text, it is really noticeable. It's like a freeze frame of
what ever was there when I closed the tab or browser. It does this in
both Seamonkey and Firefox. The video affects my desktop wallpaper or
background, Konsole, Kpatience, and any other program I have open. It
is weird. Some programs like Konsole, which is running as root, just
sort of distort in some weird way. The only way to correct this
weirdness is to log out of KDE and back in. That returns everything
back to normal. Closing the app I was using to play the video does not
work.

If I use Firefox and download helper to capture the video and save it, I
can play the video with Smplayer with no ill effects. It plays and
closes just fine. It's just when I use Seamonkey or Firefox that this
happens.

I have upgraded the kernel and had upgrades to both Seamonkey and
Firefox. I have recompiled the nvidia drivers as well. The nvidia
drivers, kernel and other info is here:

root@fireball / # equery list seamonkey
[ Searching for package 'seamonkey' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] www-client/seamonkey-2.0.14 (0)
root@fireball / # equery list firefox
[ Searching for package 'firefox' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] www-client/firefox-3.6.17 (0)
root@fireball / # equery list nvidia
[ Searching for package 'nvidia' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] media-video/nvidia-settings-260.19.29 (0)
[I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44 (0)
root@fireball / # equery list xorg
[ Searching for package 'xorg' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9 (0)
[I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.5 (0)
root@fireball / # uname -r
2.6.38-gentoo-r3
root@fireball / #

I have not tried a emerge -e world yet. I may do that when KDE 4.6.3 is
released.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could cause this? If you need more
info, let me know.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Adam Carter 05-05-2011 02:58 AM

videos that won't go away.

I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to get a fix. *When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close the tab or close the browser, the video is still there.

I've had a lot of trouble with flash recently, especially with it killing sound (using ~amd64 for the flash player due to the constant security issues, most of the system is amd64).

Try killing flash so it restarts to see if that helps get things working. Sometimes my system needs a full reboot - even restarting X doesnt help.

Dale 05-05-2011 03:19 AM

videos that won't go away.

Adam Carter wrote:

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>
I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
get a fix. *When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
the tab or close the browser, the video is still there.

I've had a lot of trouble with flash recently, especially with it
killing sound (using ~amd64 for the flash player due to the constant
security issues, most of the system is amd64).

Try killing flash so it restarts to see if that helps get things
working. Sometimes my system needs a full reboot - even restarting X
doesnt help.

The one thing I didn't think of to try.* How silly of me.* lol

One thing I just noticed, it doesn't always do this.* I went back to a
link that did it just before I posted and it worked fine this time.*
So, this appears to be a intermittent problem which opens a new can of
worms.* We all know how hard it is to fix those.*

I'll try killing flash next time it does it and see what that does.*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Mick 05-05-2011 05:12 AM

videos that won't go away.

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 23:04:09 Dale wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
> get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
> the tab or close the browser, the video is still there.

Have you checked if xulrunner and the adobe flash plugin is still running
*after* you shut down seamonkey/FF?

I noticed on a 32bit machine that the latest stable xulrunner/FF update (or
was it the nss & nspr libs that caused this) has increased both CPU & memory
consumption, but can't say for sure.
Mick

Dale 05-05-2011 05:28 AM

videos that won't go away.

Mick wrote:

I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
the tab or close the browser, the video is still there.

Have you checked if xulrunner and the adobe flash plugin is still running
*after* you shut down seamonkey/FF?

I noticed on a 32bit machine that the latest stable xulrunner/FF update (or
was it the nss& nspr libs that caused this) has increased both CPU& memory
consumption, but can't say for sure.

That I have not tried. I do think that it got worse after the upgrade
of flash. I can't recall which version was the last that did it tho. I
have upgraded flash stuff and browser stuff so I can't point to which is
causing what.

I have noticed a larger use of memory tho. I have 16Gbs here and it
uses a good bit more than it used to. Maybe another upgrade will reduce
it back down. Wonder why programs have to use so much now? Maybe the
new html5 will change that. ;-)

I'm waiting on it to do it again. It is random but I don't recall it
ever doing it on youtube. I spend a lot of time there. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Joost Roeleveld 05-05-2011 07:33 AM

videos that won't go away.

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 22:19:12 Dale wrote:
> Adam Carter wrote:
> > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
> >
> > <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search
> > for
> > to get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox,
> > then
> > close the tab or close the browser, the video is still there.
> >
> > I've had a lot of trouble with flash recently, especially with it
> > killing sound (using ~amd64 for the flash player due to the constant
> > security issues, most of the system is amd64).
> >
> > Try killing flash so it restarts to see if that helps get things
> > working. Sometimes my system needs a full reboot - even restarting X
> > doesnt help.
>
> The one thing I didn't think of to try. How silly of me. lol
>
> One thing I just noticed, it doesn't always do this. I went back to a
> link that did it just before I posted and it worked fine this time. So,
> this appears to be a intermittent problem which opens a new can of
> worms. We all know how hard it is to fix those.
>
> I'll try killing flash next time it does it and see what that does.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I notice the same with flash as well.
Switching to a console and then back to X also resets it.

--
Joost

masterprometheus 05-08-2011 01:02 PM

videos that won't go away.

Dale wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
> get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
> the tab or close the browser, the video is still there. If the video
> contains text, it is really noticeable. It's like a freeze frame of
> what ever was there when I closed the tab or browser. It does this in
> both Seamonkey and Firefox. The video affects my desktop wallpaper or
> background, Konsole, Kpatience, and any other program I have open. It
> is weird. Some programs like Konsole, which is running as root, just
> sort of distort in some weird way. The only way to correct this
> weirdness is to log out of KDE and back in. That returns everything
> back to normal. Closing the app I was using to play the video does not
> work.
>
> If I use Firefox and download helper to capture the video and save it,
> can play the video with Smplayer with no ill effects. It plays and
> closes just fine. It's just when I use Seamonkey or Firefox that this
> happens.
>
> I have upgraded the kernel and had upgrades to both Seamonkey and
> Firefox. I have recompiled the nvidia drivers as well. The nvidia
> drivers, kernel and other info is here:
>
> root@fireball / # equery list seamonkey
> [ Searching for package 'seamonkey' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] www-client/seamonkey-2.0.14 (0)
> root@fireball / # equery list firefox
> [ Searching for package 'firefox' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] www-client/firefox-3.6.17 (0)
> root@fireball / # equery list nvidia
> [ Searching for package 'nvidia' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] media-video/nvidia-settings-260.19.29 (0)
> [I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44 (0)
> root@fireball / # equery list xorg
> [ Searching for package 'xorg' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9 (0)
> [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.5 (0)
> root@fireball / # uname -r
> 2.6.38-gentoo-r3
> root@fireball / #
>
> I have not tried a emerge -e world yet. I may do that when KDE 4.6.3
is
> released.
>
> Does anyone have any clue as to what could cause this? If you need
more
> info, let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale

If you're using official drivers for your video cards Flash Hardware
acceleration is activated. But it doesn't work well in Linux. Right click
on a flash video, click on setting, and then the display tab. Disable
hardware acceleration. That generally fixes the problem you describe.

Good luck.

05-08-2011 01:19 PM

videos that won't go away.

masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@gmail.com> [11-05-08 15:08]:
> Dale wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
> > get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
> > the tab or close the browser, the video is still there. If the video
> > contains text, it is really noticeable. It's like a freeze frame of
> > what ever was there when I closed the tab or browser. It does this in
> > both Seamonkey and Firefox. The video affects my desktop wallpaper or
> > background, Konsole, Kpatience, and any other program I have open. It
> > is weird. Some programs like Konsole, which is running as root, just
> > sort of distort in some weird way. The only way to correct this
> > weirdness is to log out of KDE and back in. That returns everything
> > back to normal. Closing the app I was using to play the video does not
> > work.
> >
> > If I use Firefox and download helper to capture the video and save it,
> > can play the video with Smplayer with no ill effects. It plays and
> > closes just fine. It's just when I use Seamonkey or Firefox that this
> > happens.
> >
> > I have upgraded the kernel and had upgrades to both Seamonkey and
> > Firefox. I have recompiled the nvidia drivers as well. The nvidia
> > drivers, kernel and other info is here:
> >
> > root@fireball / # equery list seamonkey
> > [ Searching for package 'seamonkey' in all categories among: ]
> > * installed packages
> > [I--] [ ] www-client/seamonkey-2.0.14 (0)
> > root@fireball / # equery list firefox
> > [ Searching for package 'firefox' in all categories among: ]
> > * installed packages
> > [I--] [ ] www-client/firefox-3.6.17 (0)
> > root@fireball / # equery list nvidia
> > [ Searching for package 'nvidia' in all categories among: ]
> > * installed packages
> > [I--] [ ] media-video/nvidia-settings-260.19.29 (0)
> > [I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44 (0)
> > root@fireball / # equery list xorg
> > [ Searching for package 'xorg' in all categories among: ]
> > * installed packages
> > [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9 (0)
> > [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.5 (0)
> > root@fireball / # uname -r
> > 2.6.38-gentoo-r3
> > root@fireball / #
> >
> > I have not tried a emerge -e world yet. I may do that when KDE 4.6.3
> is
> > released.
> >
> > Does anyone have any clue as to what could cause this? If you need
> more
> > info, let me know.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dale
>
> If you're using official drivers for your video cards Flash Hardware
> acceleration is activated. But it doesn't work well in Linux. Right click
> on a flash video, click on setting, and then the display tab. Disable
> hardware acceleration. That generally fixes the problem you describe.
>
> Good luck.

Quick add here:
The adobe flash settings go into the same file below ~/.macromedia
which also holds a list of the sites you visited (and also the names
of the videos you watched may be...). These list can be read next time
when you use flash video.
When deleting it (this can be done automagically with a firefox addon)
you will get the unwanted hardware acceleration as the default. If you
dont delete it...well, you can do with your data what you want, and
may be others too... ;)

Best regards
mcc

"Walter Dnes" 05-08-2011 07:10 PM

videos that won't go away.

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 03:19:37PM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote

> Quick add here:
> The adobe flash settings go into the same file below ~/.macromedia
> which also holds a list of the sites you visited (and also the names
> of the videos you watched may be...). These list can be read next time
> when you use flash video.
> When deleting it (this can be done automagically with a firefox addon)
> you will get the unwanted hardware acceleration as the default. If you
> dont delete it...well, you can do with your data what you want, and
> may be others too... ;)

Idea...
1) set acceleration on/off as desired
2) exit your browser entirely
3) edit the file to remove the list of sites visited, but leave the
acceleration setting as desired
4) "chmod 440" on the file

Re; the Firefox addin to remove the file; I don't need no steenkin
Firefox addin to remove the file...

waltdnes@i3 ~ $ crontab -l
# MIN HOUR DAY MONTH DAYOFWEEK COMMAND
1-56/5 * * * * if [ -d /home/waltdnes/.macromedia ] ; then rm -rf /home/waltdnes/.macromedia/ ; fi >> /home/waltdnes/.messages 2>&1

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>