Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Mick

Default Migrating Drupal websites

I am not quite sure how best to setup a local Drupal development server. This
is only for developing the websites, which when ready for publishing will be
migrated to the hosting server.

Still at the planning stage with all this, I want to keep each website
separate. So I was thinking of having separate MySQL users, each with their
own MySQL database. Also, I am not sure where to save (physically) each
database. Is it prudent to keep them separately under the respective virtual
host domainname fs (/var/www/<domainname>), or should I leave these under the
default /var/lib/mysql/, or where ever they are normally stored? Haven't
looked into tablespaces yet.

For the sake of avoiding a major domestic, I want to make sure that migration
to the hosting server will happen without any glitches, or worse having to
redesign the website from scratch! What's a clever way of going about this?
Mick

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 AM
kashani

Mick wrote:
[...]

Are you going to be running multiple instances of Mysql or just letting
each site have it's own db within Mysql? Most of the time people do that
later and if that is the case Mysql will store each db in it's own dir
under /var/lib/mysql/. I do recommend using a customer prefix for
databases. Some thing like acme_drupal, sears_drupal, etc which will
make it much simpler to remember what db is for what.

You'll need to work out your release system. I'm not sure what tools
drupal offers if any. Have you looked through their docs?

kashani

Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Mick

On Monday 11 February 2008, kashani wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > I am not quite sure how best to setup a local Drupal development server.
> > This is only for developing the websites, which when ready for publishing
> > will be migrated to the hosting server.
> >
> > Still at the planning stage with all this, I want to keep each website
> > separate. So I was thinking of having separate MySQL users, each with
> > their own MySQL database. Also, I am not sure where to save (physically)
> > each database. Is it prudent to keep them separately under the
> > respective virtual host domainname fs (/var/www/<domainname>), or should
> > I leave these under the default /var/lib/mysql/, or where ever they are
> > normally stored? Haven't looked into tablespaces yet.
> >
> > For the sake of avoiding a major domestic, I want to make sure that
> > migration to the hosting server will happen without any glitches, or
> > worse having to redesign the website from scratch! What's a clever way
> > of going about this?
>
> Are you going to be running multiple instances of Mysql or just letting
> each site have it's own db within Mysql? Most of the time people do that
> later and if that is the case Mysql will store each db in it's own dir
> under /var/lib/mysql/. I do recommend using a customer prefix for
> databases. Some thing like acme_drupal, sears_drupal, etc which will
> make it much simpler to remember what db is for what.
>
> You'll need to work out your release system. I'm not sure what tools
> drupal offers if any. Have you looked through their docs?

Thanks for the prefix tip! I was thinking of letting each site to have its
own database within mysql, but my wife wants each one separately. As long as
they are separable both for backups and uploads I don't mind really. Aren't
multiple mysql instances going to affect server performance?

I thought that I had gone through the docs but it seems that I missed a whole
category under HOWTOs which explains all that is hopefully needed.

Thanks for your help.
Mick

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 PM
kashani

Mick wrote:
Thanks for the prefix tip! I was thinking of letting each site to have its
own database within mysql, but my wife wants each one separately. As long as
they are separable both for backups and uploads I don't mind really. Aren't
multiple mysql instances going to affect server performance?

You figure out the prefix idea after inheriting a db server with
Members, Member, 1Member, and so on. And also Logs, New_logs, etc which
you'd need to lookup to see which site were which database. It was a
mess. I even do it on my own server for databases just in case I ever
have to add a friend or migrate my data to someone else's machine.

Yes running multiple instances will be more overhead, but there are odd
cases when it's useful. I'd stick with just assigning a db per site in
your case.

If you're using Innodb I'd also set innodb_file_per_table which will
cause Mysql to put Innodb data files in the same dir under
/var/lib/mysql/$db_name/ rather than using the default
/var/lib/mysql/ibdata files. It's a bit easier to tell where your data
is and you get better disk IO that way as well.
IIRC per table will not apply retroactively so you'll need to dump and
reimport any db you'd like to take advantage of it.

kashani