Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Interface fonts

Hi,

I use e17 as my window manager, with a lot of kde apps and some gtk ones
thrown in for good measure. The problem is getting all these apps to
use vaguely similar fonts and font sizes for the interface (menus,
statusbar, etc)

What's an easy way to specify the interface fonts for gtk apps without
using gnome? I could especially use some pointers for firefox (I
*think* about:config does this somewhere) but openoffice and gimp have
me stumped - both are using huge fonts currently for the menus on my
machine

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use e17 as my window manager, with a lot of kde apps and some gtk
> ones thrown in for good measure. The problem is getting all these apps
> to use vaguely similar fonts and font sizes for the interface (menus,
> statusbar, etc)
>
> What's an easy way to specify the interface fonts for gtk apps without
> using gnome? I could especially use some pointers for firefox (I
> *think* about:config does this somewhere) but openoffice and gimp have
> me stumped - both are using huge fonts currently for the menus on my
> machine

There is a neat application that can do that for all gtk apps at once:

piggy# eix gtk-theme-switch
* x11-themes/gtk-theme-switch
Available versions:
(1.2) 1.0.1-r2
(2) 2.0.0_rc2-r2
Homepage: http://www.muhri.net/nav.php3?node=gts

Just launch switch2, click the "+", check the "use font" box, and select
the font you want. You can also get a preview.
Not sure about firefox though. Fonts in firefox can however be changed
easily by going to edit -> preferences -> content -> font & colours.
OOo has the "tools -> options" menu to change fonts.

For QT apps, there's qtconfig, provided by qt, which you probably have
installed if you run QT apps.

There is also this page on the wiki:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Same_look_for_QT,_GTK_2_and_GTK_1_apps

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> Just launch switch2, click the "+", check the "use font" box, and
> select the font you want. You can also get a preview.
> Not sure about firefox though. Fonts in firefox can however be
> changed easily by going to edit -> preferences -> content -> font &
> colours. OOo has the "tools -> options" menu to change fonts.

Perfect. This one was just the biscuit.

Thanks!