Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Jeff Cranmer

Default Viewing BBC videos on Gentoo

Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?

I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view videos,
either with the embedded player or the standalone.

Jeff

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Ian Lee

Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?
>
> I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view videos,
> either with the embedded player or the standalone.
>
> Jeff

It's a flash based player mplayer wont work

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Ian Lee

Ian Lee wrote:
> Jeff Cranmer wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?
>>
>> I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view videos,
>> either with the embedded player or the standalone.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> It's a flash based player mplayer wont work

If you're using 64 bit firefox net-www/nspluginwrapper is a good way to
get flash working or theres firefox-bin

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Sunday 10 February 2008 15:00:38 Ian Lee wrote:
> Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> > Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?
> >
> > I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view
> > videos, either with the embedded player or the standalone.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> It's a flash based player mplayer wont work

I can watch the videos without any problem with konqueror, it appears to
launch an embeded version of kmplayer.
Saludos
Matt
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Jerry McBride

On Sunday 10 February 2008 12:48:44 pm Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?
>
> I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view videos,
> either with the embedded player or the standalone.
>
> Jeff

Works here. Running Gentoo, firefox and the realplayer plugin. When you click
on a video, in the next box click on stand-alone player and use realplayer.
Takes a while for the stream to start, but once it does it's ok...

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Jeff Cranmer

This PC is a 32 bit OS. It does have flash - all youtube videos work OK.

Jeff

Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Jeff Cranmer

Ah - it appears that if I copy the weblink, then open it in Realplayer, I can successfully view the videos.

The question is, how do I get firefox to launch realplayer as the standalone player instead of mplayerplug-in?

Jeff

Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Jerry McBride

On Sunday 10 February 2008 01:04:28 pm Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> On Sunday 10 February 2008 15:00:38 Ian Lee wrote:
> > Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> > > Has anyone had any luck viewing videos on news.bbc.co.uk using gentoo?
> > >
> > > I have Firefox and mplayerplug-in installed, however I cannot view
> > > videos, either with the embedded player or the standalone.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> >
> > It's a flash based player mplayer wont work
>
> I can watch the videos without any problem with konqueror, it appears to
> launch an embeded version of kmplayer.
> Saludos
> Matt

That makes sense as it's the "kde frontend" for mplayer. I had some real
problems with kmplayer and mplayer not playing nice. Kmplayer was sending
commandline parameters that the latest versions of mplayer didn't understand.
Try the realplayer plugin ans see if it works.

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Sunday 10 February 2008 16:28:12 Jerry McBride wrote:
> On Sunday 10 February 2008 01:04:28 pm Matthew R. Lee wrote:

> > > It's a flash based player mplayer wont work
> >
> > I can watch the videos without any problem with konqueror, it appears to
> > launch an embeded version of kmplayer.
> > Saludos
> > Matt
>
> That makes sense as it's the "kde frontend" for mplayer. I had some real
> problems with kmplayer and mplayer not playing nice. Kmplayer was sending
> commandline parameters that the latest versions of mplayer didn't
> understand. Try the realplayer plugin ans see if it works.
>
> --
>

> From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

I can use realplayer aswell, I use it to stream BBC radio, though it works
better if you click launch as a stand-alone player, the embeded version tends
to skip a bit

--

Old 02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Jeff Cranmer

>> From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
>
>I can use realplayer aswell, I use it to stream BBC radio, though it works
>better if you click launch as a stand-alone player, the embeded version tends
>to skip a bit

How do I get firefox to use realplayer for bbc audio and video files instead of defaulting to mplayer?